IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Making Salaat in Public Outside Areas w/Prayer Rug  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making Salaat in Public Outside Areas w/Prayer Rug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RNaadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making Salaat in Public Outside Areas w/Prayer Rug
    Posted: 08 August 2011 at 11:51am
Salaam,

I'm actually not Muslim because I haven't taken the shahadah as of yet despite the fact that I make salaat regularly and go to masjids regularly as well. God willing, during the month of Ramadan I will stop "stradling the fence" and come to Islam. This is besides the point though. Throughout my day I find myself out and about, and I usually keep my prayer rug in my car just incase I have to pray at a friends house. My question is, however, would it be permissible for me to pray outside(i.e. on grass, concrete, parking lots) If I use my prayer rug. I'm skeptical of this, because it's my belief that the rug should be treated with respect, but considering I would only be using the bottom of it, would it still matter? Also, I am returning to school soon and as many of you know, school schedules can be hectic. I plan on bringing my rug with me as I travel to and from classes and wanted to know if this would acceptable. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
-Peace and Blessings.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2011 at 10:36pm
Salam/Peace,

Every time you do salaat you read shahadat. Prayer rug is just an equipment to help you to perform salaat. It's just peace of fabric so you don't need to treat them too special. So you can pray everywhere including grass, concrete, parking lot etc, that's prayer rug for. If you already find a soft clean place such as a clean carpet you don' t need prayer rugs anymore.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 5:30am
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

Salam/Peace,

Every time you do salaat you read shahadat. Prayer rug is just an equipment to help you to perform salaat. It's just peace of fabric so you don't need to treat them too special. So you can pray everywhere including grass, concrete, parking lot etc, that's prayer rug for. If you already find a soft clean place such as a clean carpet you don' t need prayer rugs anymore.

Thumbs%20Up

Yup Bro, a prayer rug is just a tool. Nothing holy about it. Any clean cloth will do, whether its a shirt, a hanky, carpet etc.

One can even pray on grass, sand etc.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
RNaadir View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RNaadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 10:45am
Thank you for the advice.

I just wondered because carpet in public area is usually walked  on so does't that make it unclean?
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 11:30pm
Salam,

You got it (carpet in public area is unclean), so this the prayer rugs for.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Ghazzali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghazzali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2011 at 1:59pm
May peace be on the guided ones. Prophet Muhammad pbuh said in a hadith that the whole world has been made a place of worship for us (sahih muslim, 522). If u can use a rug that's good, but even if u dont have it, u can still pray in the road, floor, etc. where people walk. Just try to find the relatively cleaner area. And never forfeit a prayer just bcoz u did not have a rug. Thank u.
The world is a dangerous place to live in, not because of the bad people, but because of the good people who does not do anything about it.
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2011 at 10:48am

Salam and Eid Greetings in advance,

may Allah reward everyone's contribution to this topic. I will add to Naadir's concern that yes when you place the prayer rug on the pavement or anywhere people have walked on, the bottom of the rug gets in contact with that and becomes unclean. It is that reason that I myself when folding my prayer rug, fold it in a way that the bottom does not fold onto the top thus keep the top of the rug clean for Salat. If you use it often, it is probably best to wash it often as well, in my opinion. And as Ghazzali said Salat has to be performed whether you have a prayer rug or not.
Jakallah,
Hasan 
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic