IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - When is Torture Justified?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When is Torture Justified?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umhalil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2011 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

ignorance is not a virtue.  nobody likes war.  get an education  

Who are you addressing your comment to?
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2011 at 11:20pm
Technique, Ron, is another discussion, but I certainly don't advocate coercive interrogation without guidelines.  After all, interrogations should always be conducted by extremely well trained professionals.
umhalil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umhalil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 5:02am
What I find extremely disturbing,is that whether or not torture should be used is EVEN debated! NO! It's vile,evil,wrong,and does NOT work to retrieve truthful information!AngryThose advocating it have obviously never been tortured!AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 9:25am
Having the debate is important because unfortunately a small percentage of ideologically driven groups and individuals seek to kill innocent people;  in some extreme cases interrogation of these individuals may call for suspension of our lofty ethics in the interest of saving lives.  Those who must do this job are no less moral and ethical as yourself.  Making a case to ethically allow torture is very difficult indeed, however there will be occasions when torture will become undoubtedly ethically necessary - in my estimation.  Rationally, I think your anger is misplaced.  It should be directed at bad people - terrorist, who are fueling this unpleasant debate.

Edited by abuayisha - 09 August 2011 at 9:28am
umhalil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umhalil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 12:01pm
I know Exactly who the terrorists are...and they are Not the one's being tortured.They are the ones "running the show behind the curtain". 
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 12:26pm
I agree Umhalil.. its defining who are the "bad" people.

SO Abuayisha, you think it would be okay to rip someone's nails off to get information someone "might" have?

I do not think Islam allows torture.. could be wrong. Can creating that type of suffering is very problematic...  i may be wrong.. but as a Muslim it would be difficult to see torture as acceptable..  You can think hypothetically but you'd have o give a concrete example of when it might be justified and who can you torture?...

Edited by Hayfa - 09 August 2011 at 12:27pm
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 2:36pm
Well Umhalil, one form of terrorism that concerns me a great deal, since I am a Muslim, is ideological sectarian killing, where worshipers in the masjid are machine gunned to death simply because they have different beliefs.  Are the ones behind the curtain responsible for this also?  The recent murders in Norway; was this also caused by the one behind the curtain?  Perpetrators of such violence are without responsibility because of the one behind the curtain?
Hayfa, I think the method of torture is for another debate.  My question is really regarding the Norway shooter, who has admitted killing all those innocent people and acknowledged that other cells exist.  Are we as a society prepared to prevent a looming catastrophe by subjecting a murderer to enhanced interrogation in order to get answers that may save innocent lives?  This proposal is not out of cruelty and a desire to inflict pain, but to save lives. 

Edited by abuayisha - 09 August 2011 at 2:37pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 3:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic