IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - When is Torture Justified?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When is Torture Justified?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2011 at 3:56pm
Well I'm now beginning to understand why our governments take covert action.  The public is often only concerned with political correctness.  No stomach for tough decisions.  I trust Norway is doing the right thing....hopefully.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2011 at 11:13pm
This is not about "political correctness".  It is simply an understanding that in the long run, more people are put at risk by resorting to torture than are likely to be saved by it.

As for "tough decisions", the decision to use torture would be the easy choice, and the cowardly one.  The truly courageous choice is to do the right thing, to abide by one's principles and not be tempted by short-term "quick fixes" that eventually result in worse outcomes.

Norway has a reputation as a peaceful, moderate nation.  That reputation serves them well, both internationally and within their own borders.  The use of torture, no matter what the immediate benefit, will ultimately lead to less security and more violence, for Norway and for the world as a whole.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2011 at 12:58pm

"....no matter what the immediate benefit.." is the rigidity that troubles me.  I certainly hope Norway is able to return unscathed to its history as a peaceful, moderate nation.  I'm not looking for a 9/11 overreaction nor a policy of torture, but I do feel this case warrants more than a moderate and peaceful response.  Ron does it trouble you the Norway shooter was kept in complete isolation without visits for four weeks?

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2011 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

"....no matter what the immediate benefit.." is the rigidity that troubles me.  I certainly hope Norway is able to return unscathed to its history as a peaceful, moderate nation.

You mean a peaceful, moderate nation that tortures prisoners?  You don't see any contradiction in that?

Quote I'm not looking for a 9/11 overreaction nor a policy of torture, but I do feel this case warrants more than a moderate and peaceful response.

I'm confused.  You're not advocating a policy of torture, but you're okay with government officials torturing prisoners against policy?  Or should the law be completely silent about torture, so that government officials (and others?) can use torture whenever they feel like it and no one can stop them?

Quote Ron does it trouble you the Norway shooter was kept in complete isolation without visits for four weeks?

It doesn't trouble me, as long as he was otherwise treated humanely during that time.  I'm not sure what "without visits" means.  I assume that he was able to meet with his lawyer during that time, wasn't he?  If not, that would trouble me.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2011 at 6:30pm
Ron I don't live in a world without contradictions, and given the circumstances of this discussion, a contradiction is fine with me. I want government officials to protect the people.  Breivik boasted in open court about "cells" and after the horrific crime he committed I expect government officials to move quickly on whether or not cells really exist.  With respect to the law I previously cited an example by an American constitutional law professor, Dershowitz, who mentioned  "torture warrants" for what I would assume to be situations like the Norway shooter.  Covert or overt is fine with me as long as the public is safe from harm.  I asked you about isolation because it is also seen as a form of torture by some, as well as, long interrogation periods.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2011 at 9:00pm

It is hard to know how to continue a rational discussion with someone who acknowledges a contradiction and then shrugs it off with "it's fine with me".

But let's just explore the "torture warrant" scenario for a moment.  Suppose such a warrant were issued against Breivik, given the "probable cause" that he had boasted about other cells.  Now, I'm pretty sure the first words out of his mouth under torture, or indeed the mere threat of it, would be to deny that such cells exist and admit that his claims were just empty bravado.  Instantly, the "probable cause" evaporates, doesn't it?  The only "witness" who ever offered evidence of its existence has just recanted his testimony.  Can we still be confident that he ever had such information?  If not, is the warrant still valid, and do we torture him anyway?

Now let's suppose that these "cells" are nothing more than like-minded (i.e., mentally unstable) buddies of Breivik who brag and posture like him, but have no serious intention of going through with it.  What do you suppose will be their reaction upon hearing of the horrific treatment of their comrade by the evil Norwegians?  Might they be provoked into committing the very acts that you so fear?

And what of the thousands of other potential radicals, extremists and assorted nutcases in Norway and elsewhere around the world?  You probably know how horrific crimes tend to inspire "copycats".  How many other acts of torture or extreme violence might be spawned by your desperate attempt to extract non-existent information from this guy?

We're all afraid of senseless violence, and rightly so.  As I said, true courage lies in not giving in to fear, but in standing firm in your principles, knowing that in the long run they are always the best guide.  That's the whole reason we have principles in the first place.  If you can so easily toss them aside just because you are frightened, then they are worthless.

P.S.: Regarding isolation - yes, the Golden Rule still applies.  I can see the wisdom in holding Breivik in isolation, and I fully accept the right of a foreign government to do the same to me (with access to legal counsel and under otherwise humane conditions) for a reasonable period if they suspect me of a serious crime, and have good reason to think it necessary.

Edited by Ron Webb - 06 August 2011 at 9:19pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2011 at 11:57pm

"As I said, true courage lies in not giving in to fear, but in standing firm in your principles, knowing that in the long run they are always the best guide.  That's the whole reason we have principles in the first place.  If you can so easily toss them aside just because you are frightened, then they are worthless."

Wow, if anything is a given it's moral high ground for the one who argues against torture, because there is an implicit given that one who sanctions torture is without morals, moreover, cowardly.  Your above hypothetical can just as easily be reversed, and torture than indeed becomes the moral high ground. We might even say Golden Rule.
umhalil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umhalil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2011 at 8:48pm
Salam Alaykom. The question posed,'When is torture justified?' My answer:N-E-V-E-R. It has been proven,as used much in many,many different countries,Not to be a method of recieving truthful information.The person being tortured will admit to,say anything,the torturer wants in order for the torture to stop.It is a sick and perverted way of treating other human beings. My husband and I lived in Virginia when the Virginia Tech massacure happened.Though horrified by the mass killings,we breathed a sigh of relief when it wasn't blamed on a Muslim.The war machine always needs a 'new enemy',Islam&Muslims are the latest "new enemy",sadly enough.If there is no enemy(and there usually truly isn't one),they will make one up to justify continuing war.War is big money.War is profit.As wrong as that is,it is the truth of it.Disapprove
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic