IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Divinity of Christ  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Divinity of Christ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfmobley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 9:31am
Why would God "send" Himself?� This is the main problem.� You maintain Jesus is God.� Jesus said he was "sent" by God.� Therefore, the conclusion would be that God "sent" Himself.� Is this what you are saying?� This is the same as saying God "prayed" to Himself.� You say this makes perfect sense, but I ask how does it make sense?� If Jesus was God, he should not have said "God sent me" or "God is greater than me".� That creates needless confusion.� And in a matter of salvation, confusion is a major turnoff.

In order to understand salvation, you must first accept that Jesus was sent from the beginning of time as the sacrificial answer for the sins of man. You ask why didn'tGod send Himself? He did send Himself, in human form. Humanity was given the gift of "free-will"; this means that we are the only creatures, including the angels that were given this gift. We choose to love God of our own free-will. If we then choose to love God, then it follows that we would do His will and keep His commandments or laws. We have been lacking in these areas since Adam and Eve. God knowing this from the beginning of creation, made preparations for the fall of man, through the personage of Jesus Christ, His physical self. Jesus was sent as the propitiation (the atoning sacrifice) for our sins. The confusion comes from not accepting that God could send Himself in human form to save mankind from total destruction. Jesus Christ was God in veiled humanity. He left part of Himself (His glory) in heaven. Of course Jesus would reverence God as the complete power in the universe because He is the complete power of the universe. To true Christians, this is not a confusing concept. God has three complete attributes that are apart of Him. In order to understand, you must be able to accept that Jesus is who He said He is in the book of John 14:8-12; 8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. 9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? 10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. This is who Jesus is. He and the Father are one in attributes but not in works. This again is a concept that you have to accept if you are to receive the gift of salvation.

God bless,

Phillip
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 10:24am
Hey Phillip,

Welcome to the Forum. I was raised Catholic. Left that at age 7-psychologically and physically at age 18- left parent's home. And basically you ask in essence why people "turn away" and find "answers" in Islam.  Here are a few for myself

1. The concept of original sin. Don't agree with it. God is most merciful and would not blame one for the sins of another. Kinda like how they put families in bondage and the children inherit this "debt." Not for me.  Children are not born into sin.  The slate is clean and until they reach the age of knowledge and reason they cannot be "sinning" as we know.

2. Did not agree with going to a dark box to "confess" by my sins at a t 7 with some guy "giving me absolution in as God' "envoy." 

3. Basically it is all illogical.. God send Jesus - his son- who is also God, but prayed to God- who is not himself.

4. That somehow Jesus, who would be God could be killed in any form by humans. Jesus cannot be God. God is too divine and too mysterious and too great for this to be.

5. Mary (PBUH), a human, gave birth to "God." 

I left religion many years ago, probably would have defined myself as an athiest years ago.  But a deeper understanding and reflection I came to the conclusion that there was something "greater" that created all of this we see. Its too majestic and incredible to be "random."

You can quote the Bible and that works for you. But I do believe that is was altered to suit man's purpose. The language has changed according to context.  What is the original of those words?  I do not know. Someone could have changed it (as there are quite the variations based upon which Bible you read).

Islam is about beliefs with actions. One God, Prophets sent, strive hard to improve and do right, ask forgiveness pray.  I don't have something illogical I need to figure out and just told its a "mystery" and just believe. Does not work for me.

Hayfa

Edited by Hayfa - 18 July 2011 at 10:26am
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Phillip Phillip wrote:

In order to understand salvation, you must first accept that Jesus was sent from the beginning of time as the sacrificial answer for the sins of man.

But see that's the problem many people have.  Why do they need to accept one concept to understand another?  To accept that Jesus was "sent from the beginning of time..." would be to accept that he is God, but that is exactly what we are trying to determine.  So, what you suggest is a circular argument.  In order to understand that Jesus is God, we have to first accept that he was sent (by himself) from the beginning of time which implies that he is God.  This simply will not work. 

You ask why didn'tGod send Himself? He did send Himself, in human form.

No, I said why would God send Himself.  This is like me stating I am sending myself to work or to school.  Clearly, I am not sending myself but I am going of my own free will.  There is a difference.  When the Bible says that Jesus was sent by God, it is implying that he is not God but a subordinate of God. 

The confusion comes from not accepting that God could send Himself in human form to save mankind from total destruction. Jesus Christ was God in veiled humanity. He left part of Himself (His glory) in heaven. Of course Jesus would reverence God as the complete power in the universe because He is the complete power of the universe.

Of course there is confusion.  It is this confusion which has led many people to look elsewhere for answers.  Why is this concept so confusing?  Why did the Bible have to say Jesus was sent by God?  Why didn't it just say God came down Himself, of His own accord, and that He was not sent by anyone?  Can you at least understand why many people would find the idea that Jesus was sent by God yet is still God to be confusing and contradictory?

o true Christians, this is not a confusing concept. God has three complete attributes that are apart of Him. In order to understand, you must be able to accept that Jesus is who He said He is in the book of John 14:8-12; 8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. 9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? 10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. This is who Jesus is. He and the Father are one in attributes but not in works. This again is a concept that you have to accept if you are to receive the gift of salvation.

But this is again a circular argument.  It would have been very easy if the Bible was crystal clear on the subject, but by purposefully showing Jesus' humanity, while claiming in other places that he was God, it presents a hazy and contradictory story which makes acceptance to be very difficult. 

As-salaam alaikum.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Abdul Shakur View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abdul Shakur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 7:44pm
Greetings, Philip (As-Salaamu Alaikum):  My birth name is Robert, but my adopted Muslim name is Abdul Shakur, wich means "Servant of the Most Appreciative One{Allah,swt}".  Shakur happens to be one of Allah's (swt) Glorious Names.  I'm just His servant.  As to your dilemma: Most Arabic people do not quite understand the "Mystery of the Trinity".  It just wasn't taught to them.  Our Holy Prophet, Muhammad (saas) did understand this mystery, but he chose not to expound on it, nor was he instructed to do so.  His focus, in the context of the Qur'an, was on Salvation and living life to its fullest and most joyous aspects by obeying and following Allah's (swt) Will and Commandments.  Those Commandments were first given through Moses, in the Ancient Writings, known as the Torah.  Then, Jesus, Himself (saas) expounded on those very Commandments when He taught His disciples/Apostles.  Yes, Jesus did state that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life....and that no man can come to God but through Him.  If you look at that closely, you will find that His Teachings WERE the TRUTH, which indeed brings your inner person to life.  He lived and taught (by example) the WAY back to Allah (swt).  Therefore, you can now see how He is "The Way, the Truth, and the Life", by virtue of His Teachings and exemplary life.  With His Truth dwelling within your mind and very being, you may understand this very 'indwelling' as 'spirit'.  In theology, we know that every person has his/her own spirit, and if this Knowledge, which Jesus (saas) taught and lived also lives and thrives in you, you will indeed be blessed with His spirit.  The statement you quoted, at St. John 14:6, is not confusing, nor does Islam reject it....you simply need to understand the depth of it (not simply take it at face value, as so many Christians do).  Modern day Christianity has strayed from the very Revelations and Book it claims to teach & practice. There are so many Churches out there....just pick one that suites your fancyWink....but, please be careful which one.  Islam teaches only ONE way of life and Islam has only ONE Holy Book: Al-Qur'an.  As I feel sure you know, in the Christian world, you can find the Holy Bible in many translations (minus the original) and many versions (again, minus the original).  Do yourself a favor, my friend: go to a Mosque, talk to an Imam, and have him help you, with original documentation, to understand the Bible, as well as the Qur'an.  Rather than fall prey to the society you may live in, or other religious pressures, search for yourself and let Allah(swt) teach you His Word....He may even choose to let Jesus(saas) teach you by the Spirit.  I've been a practicing Muslim since 1974.  I've been a student of theology since 1972....and NO theology has proven itself, satisfactorily, outside Islam.  Our Holy Qur'an tells us, right from the beginning, that it was sent partly to CONFIRM the writings of the Prophets(saas) and those of Jesus(saas).  Feel free to respond to my dialogue anytime.  My personal e-mail is: [email protected] and I'm located in North California.  May Allah(swt) bless you abundantly in your search.
pfmobley View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfmobley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 8:33pm
It is understandable that most converts to Islam would not believe in the act of salvation and what that entails. I believe fundamentally, we (Christians and Muslim) share the common graces of God. We are both taught to show kindness to our brothers and neighbors, not to practice acts of hatred and violence against other cultures. These are common graces of God that Christians and Muslims both share. This is a part of the Biblical Worldview Lens that Christian Theologians and Muslim clerics should come together on the world stage to show at least that we share this common solidarity in learning to co-exist with each other. I understand your reasons for what you believe and I accept them.   Hopefully, you know that I as well believe in the act of salvation and I hope that we can all share a mutual respect for what each of us believes. There are indeed fundamental differences in our beliefs and that is acceptable. If we as children of God can come together and recognize what our shared common graces are, we would see less fear of Islam and Christianity and more humanity and respect for each other as followers of God or Allah.

God bless you all and thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts with you as I have attempted to understand your beliefs better.

Phillip

Edited by pfmobley - 18 July 2011 at 8:36pm
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 7:10pm
I absolutely agree with you Phillip about the similarities between Islam and Christianity.  Certainly, there are more similarities than differences and that should serve to break the ice and lead to more dialog.  I have really enjoyed conversing with you.  I hope you will stick around so we can have more discussion.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

abhi0193 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abhi0193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 12:56pm

Hello Phillip I can understand what you mean to say as only a person who truly knows Bible and the word of the Lord can understand and needless to say that you have to have a good intellect to understand Bible. Needless to say that people here try to understand Bible from there worldly knowledge and the problem lies their.

I would refer everyone to read the book " I dare to call him Father" by Bilquis Sheikh to have a better understanding.
Now my point everything on this earth for us human depends on own on judgement.If I were to believe that Jesus is the Lord GOd and its one of of the trinity I gotto trust it however if i chose to be adament and think the Jesus was sent then no one can make me understand.

honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by pfmobley pfmobley wrote:

As some one who is a Christian looking into the world of Islam from the outside looking in; it appears that most converts from Christianity to Islam had definate issues with the Holy Trinity of God, the Father; God, the Son; and God, the Holy Spirit.� Most converts from Christianity saw this as a confusing issue and could never rectify the idea in their minds.� I'd like to know, exactly why this is a difficult subject to grasp and how does Islam explain the verse in the Holy Bible in the book of St. John that states,

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Please elaborate.

�

Respectfully,

�

Phillip

Hi Phillip,
welcome to the forum and sorry for a late response.
Your question that Trinity being the main reason for those converting to Islam from Christianity. I personally think that Trinity is not hard to understand at all. It is just hard to accept as a substitute idea to God as One, who does not have parents, who does not have offspring, and where none equals to God, where all else only serve God as in Islam and Judaism.

Now, I do not understand the connection you made between the idea of Trinity not being understood to John 14:6.
Because, there is nothing in it that suggests anything other than what was true.
The same could be associated with any of God's prophets:
prophet Mohammed (pbuh) is also the way, because he brought the truth (from God) whoever accepts it will receive a life of goodness that is eternal, no one get to God unless accept God's word sent through him.
And we don't see a Trinity in that neither!
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 27 September 2011 at 4:02pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic