IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "A moment without my hijab"  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"A moment without my hijab"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "A moment without my hijab"
    Posted: 07 June 2011 at 12:41am

Assalaamoalaikum you all. I was just wondering what you all thought about the article that was written by Nadia El-Awady called "A moment without my hijab?" You can find this article on the main page of islamicity.

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 1:08am
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 7:13am
I view it as an immature act, and given her age - likely a midlife crisis of sorts, which often mimics adolescence.  It was a sin to have done this and blameworthy also to broadcast to others.  Allah bless, forgive and guide her to that which pleases Him for the benefit of her own self.
lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 12:56am
I do not know if I would think that she was being immature. She knew what she was doing, when she did it. I think that she thought this out for while, like she said in the article. I was wondering if she already had the intentions to already expose her body before she arrived in europe. I would like to say that as I was reading her post, I did feel really embarrassed when she talked about wearing the short sleeves or the short skirt on the street. I have had friends who have taken off the hijab but they still dressed conservatively. 

Nadia states that "It really was an interesting experience. When I started comparing how I thought I was perceived without the hijab and how I thought I was perceived with it, I truly could not find any significant difference. That completely shocked me."

Of course, if you are dressed like everyone else then you will blend in with the crowd even more. But this does not meant that people are not molesting you today or they will not in the future.And this does not mean that they did not molest you at all. If someone has looked at you in a sexual way, then how would you know unless they have mouth their thoughts to you or they were caught in their act.  Molestation can still occur without seeing it first hand.
 I know that when she talked about her short skirt, I was imagining how her body looked, so do you think this vivid descriptions was not some form of molestation when a man is reading this as well?
 Exposing this personal diary of hers with the world has aleady allowed millions of people to molest her as soon as they read her story. And it is our obligation to protect the modesty of other sisters. So she opened the door even wider for other men to imagine what another hijabi women look like under her clothing.
 And It is common sense that if you cover your body, then you have a lower chance of getting harassed more than someone who does not. Also too just because she precieved everyone one to treat her with no differience from the next person, does not necessarily means that it is right. I am curious to know if she has any children, what  kind of modesty that they will have towards her, with other people and towards themselves. Iwonder would she agree with her children dating men and having a boyfriend? I just think that when you are exposing your body to the degree she did, you will have more predators who will seduce you, and there will be less of a shield to protect you from other things as well. Ok, for example, when you are wearing the hijab, I just think that you will be protected more from being asked to go to the discos, and drinking, etc.
There is also modesty respect that the outside world have of muslims. They will not always tell you out loud, but I see it all the time.
I would really like to know who her kids are, and how they seperate themselves as being muslims. Of course, being a muslim is more than covering your body, but sometimes you may be so comfortable in your environment that you may forget you are muslim. but the outer appearance may help you to remember that you are muslim, and if not then someone who see you will remind you of it. This can save you from making mistakes that can be seen  or heard by others. 

She also mentioned that people treated her the same, and she was invisible ,and people cared less about what she wore on the street.
Again it does not matter how people react to you when you are suppose to fulfill an obligation. 

Later she mentions that she met with her friends who are "open minded people." My question to that is why she called her friends open minded people? Was it because they did not refute what she wanted to do, or were they not practicing the faith as much?"  I am just curious. I just think that when people want to take off the hijab, or do something that is against religion, then the word "openminded people or moderate muslim is easily mentioned in their conversation.
 she may not believe that people will view her differently based on how she dress. But they do. I work in the hospital, and I see and hear everything there. But I will say that when my coworkers or patient's want to talk dirty, then they will change the topic immediately when they see that I am near them. I never gave them a dispproving look or anything but they usually say to me, "sorry, I did nt know you were near me." and then they will stop talking dirty.  Also too, there has been times that my hair would be accidiently hanging out of my khimar, and the women or men would gently let me know of this. Because there is more respect that a person will get if he or she is dressed in the hijab. Another thing is that i lived  in kenya from 2001-2003 .There I decided to wear the niqaab for two years straight there. The level of respect that I recieved was completely different when I just wore the hijab there. But when I wore the niqaab the men would lower the gaze even more. All of them, including the christians. They did this with the hijab  but it was more apparent with the niqaab.
Also it seems like they were more gentle with their voice and body language as well. Anyway, I find it to be interesting that she said she felt more feminine when she was more exposed. She did say that she did not understand this reason at all.
I was suprise by this feeling because I feel more feminine when I am completely covered than not. I asked this same question to my family and they said the same exact thing.

Nadia also states that "I�m trying to open my mind and heart these days. I�m trying to figure out what I feel is right and what I feel is wrong, not based on what I was taught to believe but what I myself truly believe."
 I think that we must be careful to say that if it feels right then it is right. NO. there are many men who feel like their wives money is their money as well. And that it is not fair for them to pay all of the bills. But in islam, the man has the obligations to financially take care of the wive and children, and home. So just because they do not feel like this is right, does that mean that they should not belief this is a commandment?

Also too, we have to cover our bodies when we make prayer to Allah, why would we not do that when we are in front of man?

I do think that it is great to challenge what you think is right or bad, but use common sense please. She did say that she is not feeling completely sure that the hijab is obligatory, and she remains covered in Cairo. But if she is still not sure, then why would you experiment with your life like that just to make yourself more comfortable. When you do find out that it is right on judgement day, then do you think your experiment was worth it?

She did say that doing her experiment she did not care about what other people would say about it.
 But  I think that she cared enough because she wanted to see how non muslims would react to her if she dressed like them?

I would like to mentioned that if you google her article, then you will see that people are posting questions to her and she is giving them an answer.

I would like  to mention that sometimes when I see a woman and her leg or something else is expose, I may say to myself, "wow she has nice legs." I SAY THIS AND i AM A WOMAN. So imagine what a guy will say as well.

I am not saying that I am religious at all, and I have many things that I need to learn and correct within myself. So If anyone thought that I was being too harsh with Nadia, then please let me know. Because you all can help me or others  think of some other points that I have not considered.
Thanks

Edited by lady - 08 June 2011 at 10:27am
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 1:43am
I would like some one explain the form the women garment was used at the the time of revelation of such verses...

59 from Sura al-Ahzab:

O Prophet! Tell Thy wives And daughters, and the Believing women, that They should cast their Outer garments over Their Persons (when outside): That they should be known (As such) and not Molested.

And what is with the threat of molestation?

Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 9:30am

Molestation in this verse is refered to preventing any inappriopraite behavior acted upon a woman who is not fully covered. I have also written several  explains of molestation in my narrative that I had written above. Make a list of all the negative things about a woman who is coverered versus one who is not. There is nothing negative about a person who is covered versus one who is uncovered, or shows the shape of her body. Also too, look at the nuns,  the nuns are given much respect for many things, but one of those things is how they dress modestly. This modesty is required for all muslims. In order for this commandment to be  revealed that means that people were not doing or covering those areas that were commanded from Allah. And if they were doing it then it was not consistent. So to be honest, I do not know exactly how they were dressing before this verse was revealed. Because this message was universal, and there were people who were  also nonarabs and who were part of that movement, and so therefore the  instructions were general enough so that anyone's dress could be fitted for what was instructed.

Please some one else help me to answer this question well.

Edited by lady - 12 June 2011 at 10:07am
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2011 at 10:37pm
I think that one aspect of women and hijab is where you live- society and culture.   I would think someone would need a study of whether women in full covering- including head (not face) are more or likely to be "molested" - that term needs to be defined. The fact that nonMuslim men are not under the same "commandments" as Muslim men adds a different dimension. People will stare and look and harass whom they choose to. I do not think if a woman is in  full covering vs a woman who is wearing say long sleeves and a shirt there is a whole lot of difference. Men will wonder what is underneath it all if that is where their minds are at.

I also think quality has alot to do with type od stuff. You see a well-dressed modest hijabi sister and a western frumpy woman who do you think will get the attention. And let me tell you, many Muslim women dress well- nice clothes, clean etc. They look WAY better that a lot of sloppy western women.

I do not think dress has much to do with violence against women at all.

And I would not compare Muslim women to nuns.. they have very different lives and don't need to support families, work, take care of their kids etc. They are provided for by the Church.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic