IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Acceptable Clothing  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acceptable Clothing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acceptable Clothing
    Posted: 06 June 2011 at 7:25pm
Assalamu Alaikum Sisters,
                                      I am wanting some advise as a new revert to Islam what is acceptable to wear and dress as a Muslimah. I am currently going through my wardrobe of clothes and If I can recycle and use what I have with adding pieces such as long tops or pants then it will save me not only financially but also means I can wear clothes that are modest.
I see some sisters wear tight skinny jeans and singlet tops and strapless dresses,singlet dresses but put long tops underneath or over the top.
What is to tight? What is to fitting for us to wear. The confusion is out there and I don't want to get it wrong.

salams and blessings,

Lizzy

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 11:32pm
Salam,

I am a man, but I want to give 2 cents. I have 3 daughters, I like them wear hijab but the same time I still like them look pretty. For the paints, I suggested them to wear paints that 3 fingers (about1.5 inches) wider then their leg, with this will not print their legs' shape. For the shirt I sugested loose long sleeve shirt. They also don't like to wear wardrobe.

Edited by semar - 20 June 2011 at 3:18pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 12:22am
Walaakum Salaams Lizzy.
You can wear anything, as long as your body form is not seen. Your clothes should be big enough for the outside to not be able to see your shape. So if you like to wear something tight or strapless, then it is ok, as long as you have something over it to hide your shape. So you can still keep your wardrobe, if your clothing is not too tight. And if they are then buy a jilbab to cover any revealing clothes that you may want to wear outside. I hope that this helps.
Lizzy View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 3:51am
Salaams Lady and Semar,
                                      thank you both very much for your advice. It sure makes sense. Smile

Lizzy
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum Sisters,
                                      I am wanting some advise as a new revert to Islam what is acceptable to wear and dress as a Muslimah. I am currently going through my wardrobe of clothes and If I can recycle and use what I have with adding pieces such as long tops or pants then it will save me not only financially but also means I can wear clothes that are modest.
I see some sisters wear tight skinny jeans and singlet tops and strapless dresses,singlet dresses but put long tops underneath or over the top.
What is to tight? What is to fitting for us to wear. The confusion is out there and I don't want to get it wrong.

salams and blessings,

Lizzy

Wa'alaikum salaam Lizzy...

Semar gave good advise as a father.

I think I know what u are talking about, some Hijabi Sisters will be covering skin, but the clothes will still be very figure hugging. That is not islamically modest.

(This is my 2 cents as a fellow Hijab-wearing-person) Your clothes should NOT be figure hugging, and they need NOT be a potato sack either. As long as your shirt, blouse, Kurta, whatever is loose and covers your hips/thighs.. it should be okay. Full sleeves of course. 

I am not a scholar so my opinion technically doesn't count. But I think that there certain aspects of modesty are subjective and dependent on culture. That is where we/I can use common sense and be flexible. For example I know that if I wear pants/jeans to a bazaar in Pakistan - even if I am wearing a hijab, I will be conspicuous and men will stare at me... I will wear shalwar kameez. But if I am roaming in a mall in USA or Malaysia, I can wear my Pants and shirt comfortably.
[not that i think there is anything wrong with either dress]

So yes, you can recycle ur wardrobe.. if the clothes arent too tight. If they are, you could wear a jacket, cardigan or something draped on top to hide the curves.. and still make the clothes work. Its a good idea to have a number of full-sleeved t-shirts on hand (in plain colors) so u can wear them under sleeveless tops or half-sleeved shirts.

I think a Muslimah shouldn't be looking 'sexy' in public.. but there is nothing wrong with looking presentable, crisp & smart. Hijab isn't to make us look unattractive or ugly.. it is to hide our sexuality in public. Hope that helped Sis. All the best!

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Lizzy View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 6:25pm
Assalamu Alaikum Chrysalis,
                                         I totally agree with what your saying and Lately I have just been wear long skirts with a turtle neck long sleeve top and a denim jacket over the top or a cardigan or loose dress pants. I feel figure hugging that shows my body shape is to much to show and I do not want to attract unwanted attention. :)
Coffeecat View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffeecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 12:24pm
It sounds like what you are wearing is fine. Long and loose and it can still be fashionable. There is no "uniform" for muslim women. Depending on the region that you live in , what you may want to wear will depend on local custom and culture- just keep it modest.
umhalil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umhalil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:06pm
Asalamalykum.,I live in Jordan and quite frankly I am shocked at supposedly Muslim girls and women are wearing here these days.They wear hijab,but shirts so tight,on one girl I could literally see her bellybutton,and with jeans.Their hind end not covered.I don't know how their parents allow them out of the home dressed like this.Lot's and lot's of heavy face makeup,..they might as well take off the hijab! It's getting really bad here..this type of dress is not only in the cities,but I'm seeing it in the smaller vilage's as well.I breathe a sigh of relief when I see Muslim here dressed appropriatly.It's amazing.To me,it's so much more beautiful.That's my 2cents. Heart~~umhalil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic