IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Imam preaches Islam w/ a distinctly American style  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Imam preaches Islam w/ a distinctly American style

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imam preaches Islam w/ a distinctly American style
    Posted: 05 June 2011 at 10:17pm

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/03/3126510/imam-preaches-islam-with-a-distinctly.html

Imam preaches Islam with a distinctly American style

Edited by semar - 05 June 2011 at 10:18pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 7:16am
I like Webb's approach. I wouldn't call it American style. It's more like 21st century style. If religions don't evolve they become irrelevant. But too many religious leaders in Islam and in Christianity remain stuck in the past.
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 3:21pm
Matt,
God sent religion for mankind so those who believe to follow it, not the other way around. When man evolves what is sent by God, it messes up things. For that reason we are told to follow a way of life that is a guidance by the one who knows us and knows All.
That certainly does not mean to live in stone age, rather, under devine guidance prosper and live in harmony with those and what surrouds us. 
I think it was people like you who always existed and thought that way and were behind improving what God sent, thus making it not just invalid for the coming generations but destructive for themselves.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 09 June 2011 at 3:22pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 3:32pm
I was enjoying the article until I came across some contradictions.  Certainly, there is nothing wrong with talking about basketball games and such but other things he suggests are misguided.  He wants to create an "American-Islam" which is true to the Quran and Islamic Law, yet he feels that segregating men and women in the mosque is not necessary.  Does not Islamic law state that they should be segregated?  He suggests that mosques adopt a "don't ask, don't tell policy" towards gays.  Well, first of all, I don't know of any mosque which actually asks its members whether they are gay before allowing them to enter the premises.  Second of all, to adopt such a policy would be to give indirect approval of homosexuality.  This is not in line with the Quran and Islamic law.  Sorry, but it just is not.  This is why I am always suspicious of people who try to promote their own version of Islam while claiming they are staying true to the Quran and Sunnah, when they are not.   

Let me make this as simple as possible.  There is no "American Islam".  There is no "European Islam".  There is no "Asian Islam".  Islam is Islam.  That is it.  Extremism is anti-Islam but so is liberalism.  Islam is the moderate path, the middle path.  We are Muslims.  Allah (swt) does not want us to create versions of Islam based on our nationalities or ethnicities.  This will only create division and division is the last thing we need.   
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 5:12am
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

I was enjoying the article until I came across some contradictions.  Certainly, there is nothing wrong with talking about basketball games and such but other things he suggests are misguided.  He wants to create an "American-Islam" which is true to the Quran and Islamic Law, yet he feels that segregating men and women in the mosque is not necessary. 
]

As'sallamualaikum Br,

Actually in the article he states that in order to communicate with American Muslims, scholars should be keeping American culture in mind. Most mosques, depending on the background of the Imam follow an Arab culture, Sub-continental culture etc. Which is irrelevant to the young American Muslims... he is not 'creating' an 'American Islam'. Suhaib Webb thinks that young American Muslims need to be comfortable within their American Identity as muslims...

Also, there was no segregation (i.e. partition) in the Mosques during Prophet Muhammad's time... Women were vocal and visible members of the Mosque. It is not something Suhaib Webb invented as part of American Islam.

Quote He suggests that mosques adopt a "don't ask, don't tell policy" towards gays.  Well, first of all, I don't know of any mosque which actually asks its members whether they are gay before allowing them to enter the premises.  Second of all, to adopt such a policy would be to give indirect approval of homosexuality.  This is not in line with the Quran and Islamic law.  Sorry, but it just is not.  This is why I am always suspicious of people who try to promote their own version of Islam while claiming they are staying true to the Quran and Sunnah, when they are not.

I have heard some other audio lectures of Suhaib Webb, and he does not at all support homosexuality... what he says is that the Imams/Scholars should be so accessible and non-judgemental, that the young people should be able to come to them with real life problems. Unfortunately, Homosexuality IS an issue some young muslims deal with, and they should be able to confide/consult in People of Knowledge. Unfortunately these young people know that the Imams and Scholars cannot be approached with such taboo issues.

Just like Prophet Muhammad... when a young man approached him and said 'Allow me to fornicate'. The Companions immediately admonished him, but our Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) said to him: come sit near me. And then he gently asked whether he would be okay if somebody fornicated with his sister/mother/aunt/daughter... to which he replied in the negative. Then the Prophet made Dua for him, and he desisted from such acts. I don't think any muslim today can go to the average Imam and discuss their problems with them.

Quote Let me make this as simple as possible.  There is no "American Islam".  There is no "European Islam".  There is no "Asian Islam".  Islam is Islam.  That is it.  Extremism is anti-Islam but so is liberalism.  Islam is the moderate path, the middle path.  We are Muslims.  Allah (swt) does not want us to create versions of Islam based on our nationalities or ethnicities.  This will only create division and division is the last thing we need.   

Agreed Br, and rest assured Suhaib Webb does not propagate a different version at all! In fact in all his lectures I have heard him stress that Islam is universal and we should not confuse culture with Islam.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 7:28am

I think our brother Suhaib would argue with respect to; �there is no American Islam� that indeed there isn�t in terms of shariah, however when looking at fiqh issues - scholars are to consider circumstances of place, culture and time when making judgments.  In other words, can we in a modern American context always simply refer to the first three generations when making fiqh judgments or is there flexibility given our time and circumstances?  I live in Los Angeles and some Islamic centers allow for paying zakatul fitr with cash, however other Masjids cite traditional classical jurists who only allow zakatul fitr to be paid in grain or foodstuff according to hadith.  I think given our circumstances (American context) and the purpose behind paying zakatul fitr � poor families are better served with cash. 

islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

As'sallamualaikum Br,

Actually in the article he states that in order to communicate with American Muslims, scholars should be keeping American culture in mind. Most mosques, depending on the background of the Imam follow an Arab culture, Sub-continental culture etc. Which is irrelevant to the young American Muslims... he is not 'creating' an 'American Islam'. Suhaib Webb thinks that young American Muslims need to be comfortable within their American Identity as muslims...

Also, there was no segregation (i.e. partition) in the Mosques during Prophet Muhammad's time... Women were vocal and visible members of the Mosque. It is not something Suhaib Webb invented as part of American Islam.

Walaikum as-salaam sister.  Yes, you are right that women were able to actively take part in the time of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).  However, what got me alarmed was that Imam Webb said that barriers are not necessary.  What does he mean by this?  Does he mean that men and women can pray side by side?  Does he mean that the women can pray behind the men?  If he means the latter, then I have no problems as this was the practice in the time of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).  Certainly, this is an acceptable alternative to having separate spaces, provided that the women are properly covered.  However, we must also remember that the Prophet stated that men and women should enter the mosque from separate doors.  If Imam Webb is not against this, then I am okay with it.  You know more of his lectures, so I will refrain from speculating how he views these rulings. 

I have heard some other audio lectures of Suhaib Webb, and he does not at all support homosexuality... what he says is that the Imams/Scholars should be so accessible and non-judgemental, that the young people should be able to come to them with real life problems. Unfortunately, Homosexuality IS an issue some young muslims deal with, and they should be able to confide/consult in People of Knowledge. Unfortunately these young people know that the Imams and Scholars cannot be approached with such taboo issues.

Okay, that makes me breathe easier.  I do agree that our scholars and religious leaders should be consulted by the youth for the problems they face.  If Imam Webb simply feels that people should be able to approach their imams with their problems such as homosexuality and is not trying to make homosexuality an acceptable behavior, then I am fine with that.  Thank you for clarifying. 

Just like Prophet Muhammad... when a young man approached him and said 'Allow me to fornicate'. The Companions immediately admonished him, but our Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) said to him: come sit near me. And then he gently asked whether he would be okay if somebody fornicated with his sister/mother/aunt/daughter... to which he replied in the negative. Then the Prophet made Dua for him, and he desisted from such acts. I don't think any muslim today can go to the average Imam and discuss their problems with them.

I apologize, but I am not familiar with this story.  Can you provide the reference?  I am aware that the Prophet was very approachable about controversial matters, even sexual matters, and refrained from becoming angry.  For instance, when a man came to him admitting that he had sexual intercourse during the fasting period in Ramadan, the Prophet did no become angry but offered the man ways to make up for the act:

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 31, Number 157:

Narrated Abu Huraira: While we were sitting with the Prophet a man came and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have been ruined." Allah's Apostle asked what was the matter with him. He replied "I had sexual intercourse with my wife while I was fasting." Allah's Apostle asked him, "Can you afford to manumit a slave?" He replied in the negative. Allah's Apostle asked him, "Can you fast for two successive months?" He replied in the negative. The Prophet asked him, "Can you afford to feed sixty poor persons?" He replied in the negative. The Prophet kept silent and while we were in that state, a big basket full of dates was brought to the Prophet . He asked, "Where is the questioner?" He replied, "I (am here)." The Prophet said (to him), "Take this (basket of dates) and give it in charity." The man said, "Should I give it to a person poorer than I? By Allah; there is no family between its (i.e. Medina's) two mountains who are poorer than I." The Prophet smiled till his pre-molar teeth became visible and then said, 'Feed your family with it."    

Agreed Br, and rest assured Suhaib Webb does not propagate a different version at all! In fact in all his lectures I have heard him stress that Islam is universal and we should not confuse culture with Islam.

Alhamdulillah.  Your reassurance makes me feel much better and at ease.  Jazak Allah Khair for clarifying the matter. 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 1:01am
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/03/3126510/imam-preaches-islam-with-a-distinctly.html

Imam preaches Islam with a distinctly American style

What else, he is an American and he is striking the iron while it is hot...
The point I am attempting to put across is that since the discovery of the black gold in ME and particularly the Saudi Wahabism/Salafism has made the traditional Muzlums life miserable with their clout of the petro dollars and inside track with the establishment! I think one needs to look through the background!

With the fall of Brits the only way forward for the career minded scholars(remember Mirza's Ahmedis) ran through KSA and onwards!
BTW never forget who sponsored KSA?

The lowly of the subcontinent and ME trekked west for the greener pastures of Europe and or US to get away from it all and that lasted for good score and half years...Then the dumb Carterites saw the Iranian revolution as result of CIA's miscalculations and with hostage fiasco all hell broke loose... for the settled Muzlums in the US it was time to run for cover. They wondered how were they left alone that long by the agents of colonialists! They were born again not necessarily out of choice and they started praying in their garages or houses and started donation drives for the mosques! Well and good by then they had own broods growing up!
 In order to counter the pernicious post revolution the Khomeinite following  amongst awakened youth the establishment let 'Rabita Islami the propaganda arm ofthe Saudi Mafia' to do something with an unlimited buckets of cash!

A simplest approach the sponsorship of  Imam/ directors of Islamic societies  payroll for the American mosque projects! So unwittingly the born again Muzlums who hardly remembered their own creed from the old colonial countries were being led by the imams imported from the Whabi schools all over! A visit to any mosque and you could see the MO of prayer a distinct whabi style if you knew how!
Slowly the tug of war between these imams and the management boards ensued and there are quite a few sad stories one can relate to! You know what, when things got ugly the establishment was always there to help the Rabita's side!Wink

But things trucked along Muzlums either partied at home or were directed to the mosques or the Imam baras as the case would be!

Then suddenly on the morning of 9/11/2001 a new disaster unfolded while people looked on and the mosque project became a non act and a good number of youth went into a blue funk! Those terrorists did hang around the Rabita experiment mosques! That should never be shoved under the rug!
The Rabita supplied Imams were not up to the mark, Saudis pulled the plug and left town creating a vacuum of leadership! That still exists today!

Then came the pseudo Wahhabi teachers the fifth columnar/ Salafis  in the shape of Almaghrib and he is one of them...Only the time will tell at the harvest time what would be reaped and by who?
The selling of religion in America is a great business! People don't have time to check the genuineness of package in hurry! Allah help us all!

Edited by Sign*Reader - 13 June 2011 at 1:18pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic