IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Imam preaches Islam w/ a distinctly American style  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Imam preaches Islam w/ a distinctly American style

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Then came the pseudo Wahhabi teachers the fifth columnar/ Salafis  in the shape of Almaghrib and he is one of them...Only the time will tell at the harvest time what would be reaped and by who?

I think Almaghrib is doing a pretty cool job! They recently came to our town and mashAllah the course was very nice. As much as I dislike using the terms, they are not 'wahabi or fundo or extreme'. They teach traditional texts & Islam, and have a nice contemporary approach. Their scholars are knowledgeable and accessible. [Atleast most of 'em I think. Can't speak for all...

The issue is not that something cool would be best option when it comes to the matter of creed(aqeedah)! The American dilemma has been the packaging of religion and selling through traveling salesman like franchising of every other stuff! The model was Ok for the Christian churches with freedom to interpret whatever but for Muslims it is a matter that needs be checked against the touchstone of Ahle sunnah wal jammah!
I think you have gone through a debate with Bro Rami sometime back in INTRA FAITH at length on the subject! I don't know what conclusion you came to then!

This IC site is a Sunni Aqeeda site that I came away from some the moderated threads!
I am of the understanding where there is smoke there is fire and one has to be wise enough to see which way to run particularly when the disruption of Aqeeda
would be the result!
Now if the Al Maghrib folks were of the non disputed school, then why is there a  smoke with fire? Here is one the blog

http://sunni1.wordpress.com/al-maghrib-institute-exposed/

I am not telling what to do but the old cliche "better safe than sorry". Or may be ignorance is bliss!
If you intend to be part of the classical Ahle sunnah wal jammah then at least you owe it yourself to make certain their Alma maters and the political($) roots! The fruits come later!

Edited by Sign*Reader - 24 June 2011 at 12:08am
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 6:40am
Based upon the blog you referenced, are we to understand your definition of "classical Ahle sunnah wal jammah" to include Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani's "creed(aqeedah)"?  Also, do you know who operates the site "exposing" and "unveiling" Almaghrib?

Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 12:14pm
What about Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani? I am not his votary unless I decide to take a Sufic route then I might!
He is not the subject of the thread abuayesha, is he?

If you like to know he was the most prescient about the 911 attacks than anyone else! He did warn about the Saudi Salafi influence towards the radicalism in the Saudi Rabita funded mosques in the US and Europe! And now you are living in it's wake with the rest...
No one can deny whose teaching brought that about and the misery to the rest!
Then it is also a double edged sword it has also curtailed the freedoms that they did enjoy before! And if the American and Saudi policies go into an open conflict for whatever reason it will be a good omen to break the hegemony of the Saudi funded Salafi cult being disseminated about!

Does it matter who operates the blog?

There is lot of smoke about the Alma mater of the Almghrib wandering teachers (cuz most Mosque are under the FBI surveillance) on the blog and that if you like either refute the information or sustain it!

It is rank hypocrisy of the Saudi royalist Salafi compact that shurtaas in every turn lash the rest with 'bidah' and royalists love the malls loaded with western stuff!

Edited by Sign*Reader - 24 June 2011 at 8:00pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 2:48pm
With respect to the blog I noticed that most articles were from sufi sources so I was just wondering if the individual who operates the blog is also sufi.  I have noticed many of our brothers who are sufi seem to have a rather antagonist, and less than objective outlook upon "salafi/wahaabi" approach to understanding textual evidences.   At any rate, it's indeed helpful when addressing these issues to speak in specifics as generalities are not very useful for our youth looking for direction.  Allah knows best.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2011 at 12:14am
Would you agree Sufis and classical Islam are not mutually exclusive i.e., not all Sunnis are Sufis and all Sufis are to follow the one of the four school of jurisprudence and not create a fitna in the world!
The sufi or mystic orders have a long history of exemplary self sacrifice and peaceful dawah particularly in India without funding from some kings...The hundreds of millions in the subcontinent are indebted to them for being a believer today...So suggesting  sufis to be of tainted intelligence would be an affront to their past performance in the trying times under ruthless rulers...

So far textual understanding is concerned actions speak louder than the words! The actions of the salafi approach have caused the death of millions of Muslims in southeast Asia & ME at the hands of their protectors! Go figure!

There are few threads in Intra Faith Section that were posted by Rami (the moderator of the time) long time ago giving the synopsis of the phenomena!
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12847
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12846
 While you review these I attempt to find specificity about the blog...
The Saudi salafi running with hare and hunt with the hounds is not the way of Islam, the western youth would figure out sooner or later!

Edited by Sign*Reader - 25 June 2011 at 12:43pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2011 at 9:58am

I would agree to judge all our brothers based upon word and deed.  Our Messenger has said that �All of my people will enter Paradise except those who refuse.�  He was asked about those who would refuse, and said; �He who obeys me will enter Paradise, while he who disobeys me has refused.  (Bukhari)  Further, our Prophet (saw) has mentioned; �If anyone introduces into this affair of ours anything which does not belong � it is rejected.�  (Bukhari and Muslim)

Edited by abuayisha - 25 June 2011 at 9:59am
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2011 at 9:53pm
There is night and day difference between true spirituality and dry ritualism/literalism or fundamentalism that has brought us likes of Osama!

It is ironic that environment that gave the rise in Sufism tendencies in the  ummah was post Mongol horde holocaust from east when the land was left drenched red with her blood in its wake and now we are in this debate post another self inflicted holocaust from the west! In both cases the instigators have been the Arabs playing with fire somehow based on their court paid theologies!

I know few salafis amongst acquaintances and relatives who will not blink to game the system when they can get away with some gains!

It seems the discussion that took place between the Prophet (s) and Muadh ibn Jabal(r) after his appointment to Yemeni mission is being conveniently shelved or forgotten:

P.)"According to what will you judge?"

M.) "According to the Book of God," replied Muadh.

"And if you find nothing therein?"

"According to the Sunnah of the Prophet of God."

"And if you find nothing therein?"

"Then I will exert myself (exercise ijtihad) to form my own judgment."

The Prophet was pleased with this reply and said: "Praise be to God Who has guided the messenger of the Prophet to that which pleases the Prophet."

The Prophet personally bade farewell to this mission of guidance and light and walked for some distance alongside Muadh as he rode out of the city. Finally he said to him:

"O Muadh, perhaps you shall not meet me again after this year. Perhaps when you return you shall see only my mosque and my grave." Muadh wept. Those with him wept too. A feeling of sadness and desolation overtook him as he parted from his beloved Prophet, peace and blessings of God be on him.

Am I justified to sense a pro Salafi partisanship? 

Edited by Sign*Reader - 26 June 2011 at 4:34pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:44am
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Am I justified to sense a pro Salafi partisanship? 

Man I love you Sign*Reader - for Allah's sake.Smile  Well, let's say I also decry what I often see as "form over substance."  I would certainly like to believe I'm pro truth.  I view "salafi" as an approach or methodology to approaching fiqh, and in so far as its scholars seek sound textual evidences, I am certainly not anti-salafi.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic