IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Names  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Names

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Names
    Posted: 22 March 2005 at 9:40pm

I'm in the process of changing my name so that it fits me and my personal expectations better.  I will not reveal the names I'm thinking about because of safety reasons, but I was wondering is there was a arabic name meaning warrior or soldier?

If you changed your name, will you please explain to me how you went about choosing the new name?

Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2005 at 10:00pm

Assalamu alaikum,

This is the largest database I know of for Muslim names:

http://talkislam.com/names/show_names.php?cat_id=17

Just click on "Muslim names" and then type in "warrior" or "soldier" in the "meaning" window.

I changed my name to Yusuf because it was while reading Sura Yusuf that I realized the Qur'an was the Word of Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Edited by Yusuf.
Yusuf
Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2005 at 10:10pm

Thank you very much for providing the link.  This is by far the best glossary of names I've seen in a long time.  Although I don't like any of the names meaning warrior, it will definitly come in handy for picking the middle and last name.

Two other questions,

1. What does it mean when there is "Al" before another name such as Al-Amin?

2. For a Muslim last name, do you pick a first name? Unlike western names.  (I hope you understand what I'm saying)

Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2005 at 10:43pm

Assalamu alaikum,

"Al" is the definite article; the equivalent of "the" in English. For example, "kabir" means "a great one," while "al kabir" means "the great one".

Generally for a last name you should choose one of the 99 Names of Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, and prefix it with "abd," which means "servant." For example, "Musa Abd Al-Hamid" means "Musa, servant of the Most Praiseworthy."

You can find the 99 Names of Allah on the same page I posted above Insha'Allah.

Edited by Yusuf.
Yusuf
deist View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2005 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Knowledge01 Knowledge01 wrote:

I'm in the process of changing my name so that it fits me and my personal expectations better.  I will not reveal the names I'm thinking about because of safety reasons, but I was wondering is there was a arabic name meaning warrior or soldier?

Greetings and Peace,

An interesting choice of names.

Peace
Deist
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2005 at 4:04am

Dear Knowledge01,

Please also visit this link to find out all about the correct way to name yourself:

http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hF atwaID=32407

or just go to www.islamonline.net and click "ask the scholar" in the right hand column, then click on "search", then type in "changing name" in search window.

If you plan to legally change your name, do think carefully and ensure you have chosen a good name, because once it's done you don't want to have to do it again (changing all your identification is a real hassle, but worth it in the end!).

Peace, ummziba.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 9:21am

As Salaam Alaikum,

Thank you very much for the help.

Is it wrong to combine a non-muslim name with a muslim name?  I didn't see the anser in the articles and I thought I read in the Hadith that it was wrong.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 1:01pm

One more question for now,

What does the name Bukhari mean?

Edited by Knowledge01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic