IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need help with an issue  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with an issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 8:48pm

Originally posted by nullservant nullservant wrote:

Salam Brothers and Sisters

The use of Marijuana as a medicine was known and in practice in the fertile crescent at the time of the Prophet - if the Allah had chosen to make a statement regarding marijuana in his Holy Quran, it would have been easy to do so, and the ommission of this should give us - the humble servants of Allah - reason to reflect before we arrogantly pass judgement on those for whom this creation of Allah has been a blessing.  Many use Marijuana for their eyes, surely you would not tell them to go blind.

As salamu alaikum,

It is true that Marihuana is not specifically mentioned in the Quran.  However, just because a hukm is not written out letter for letter in the Quran doesn't mean there isn't one.  This is why the scholars use Qiyas in giving fatawa.

Of course I wouln't tell someone using Marijuana for their eyes to go blind.  One of the mabaadi of sharia is "hifz al-badan;"  so, if Marijuana is being used as a medicine wouldn't it be permissible?  I think so.  However, if it's used to just "get high" then it could be comapred with alcohol (because they both affect your mental state).  In which case, wouldn't it be impermissible?  I think so.

Wallahu A'lam 

fanaofallah View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanaofallah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2005 at 10:26am

Originally posted by i am muslim i am muslim wrote:

Is smoking marijuana considered haram?

yes brother!

knight_47 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knight_47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Well weed does not do the kind of harm that cigarette smoke
does, but it is a type of "intoxicant" but actucually marijuana is a
depressant which is really not good for you. It slows down you
reactive skills and your rational behavior. Plus its a drug that
can lead to other drugs. When we say of intoxicants we must
also align other things such as sodas, or anything that is
caffinated. But as others here ar saying it is haram and is not an
acceptable habit. i suggest not doing it

It is very sad to see someone with so many posts and experience on this forum (Nausheen included) but also very naive at the same time.

You two (and many others) are victims of something called 'propaganda', and for those that do not know, propaganda is
information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause that is usually very untrue.

Firstly, it would be very nice if you could at least state your sources toward your 'facts', so we can verify them ourselves.

Now we'll start;

Marijuana, Weed, Pot, Ganja, whatever you want to call it, is NOT an intoxicant, therefor not a depressant. Marijuana's active ingredients include THC, and Cannaboids. These 2 chemicals are not intoxicants. Alcohol is an intoxicant, maybe this is the source of your confusion. This is the reason that in America they changed the former DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) to DUI (Driving Under the Influence), because DWI does not pertain to Marijuana since it is not considered an intoxicant.

Secondly, you stated that Marijuana is a drug that leads to many other drugs, this is nothing but a very very biased myth. Marijuana is not a Gateway Drug (drugs leading to other drugs). And to further amaze you, Marijuana is not addictive either. In fact, a cup of tea has more of an addictive property than a joint of Marijuana.

I have never seen any scientifically based claims that state that Marijuana slows down your rational behavior or reactive skills.

To further dispel the many myths of Marijuana:

Marijuana's negative effects are very minimal. The only scientifically based study on marijuanas negative effect is the byproduct of smoke when administering the drug. And on top of that, the smoke produced from pot is nothing compared to the smoke that billows out of a cigarette, cigar, or even Hookah. More interestingly, this minute smoke problem can be easily avoided as Marijuana is also easily digestible, thus skipping the whole smoke session. Now anyone can argue that Marijuana has no harmful effects at all. You can never over-dose on pot either, so this is not a problem at all.

Marijuana does not cause emphysema, unlike tobacco
Marijuana does not cause cancer (and if you  smoke it you are actually slightly less likely to get cancer)
THC actually helps cleanse the lungs, preventing tumors
Daily marijuana use doesn�t damage your brain
There has never been a study to link marijuana with psychological problems
Marijuana is NOT a gateway drug
Marijuana fights hardened arteries
Marijuana has both stalled the growth of and eliminated brain tumors in rats
Marijuana can prevent blindness
Marijuana is less addictive than caffeine.
Marijuana Prevents Alzheimer's Disease
You can't over-dose on pot
Study finds marijuana use leads to brain development in rats
Study shows kids who smoke pot are actually more successful.
Marijuana Compound May Stop Breast Cancer From Spreading.
nu001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nu001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 10:44pm

Except Allah, none has the right to make something Haram/Halal. Quan is clear on all intoxicants,

''ch 02, Ver 219: They ask you about intoxicants and games of chance. Say: In both of them there is a great sin and means of profit for men, and their sin is greater than their profit. And they ask you as to what they should spend. Say: What you can spare. Thus does Allah make clear to you the communications, that you may ponder" 

"Ch 05, Ver 90: O you who believe! intoxicants and games of chance and (sacrificing to) stones set up and (dividing by) arrows are only an uncleanness, the Shaitan's work; shun it therefore that you may be successful."

You can see that it is discouraged and advised by Allah to not to indulge into. There may seem to be lots of good in it, but there are more evil in doing it. What is Haram is also mentioned in the Quran.

005.003 "Forbidden to you are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to
transgression, Allah is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful
."

Wishful use of the word 'Haram (Fobidden)' is not expected, yet many of us do it without understanding.

SalamuA'laikum

"Al-Quran-The only Straight path to success. Alhamdulillah"
nu001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nu001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 11:20pm

Originally posted by knight_47 knight_47 wrote:

It is very sad to see someone with so many posts and experience on this forum (Nausheen included) but also very naive at the same time.

You two (and many others) are victims of something called 'propaganda', and for those that do not know, propaganda is
information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause that is usually very untrue.

Knight, unfortunately I am not sure who is under the propaganda, you or israfil. The references you quoted are nothing but propaganda, they are not science. The only scientific element there is the content of Marijuana, on which you are basing your argument. There are many intoxicants / drugs which are not alchohol based.

Marijuana is a drug, it is having intoxicant effect, it definitely harms a great deal. May be you havn't been able to find out the damage it does. I have seen many people damaging their life with it, moving to heroine/cocane once they get saturated with marijuana. Ifyou have taken it, you know it takes over your brain, not necessarily a depressant, could be stimulant as well for some. It is obviously different than alchohol.

Firstly, it would be very nice if you could at least state your sources toward your 'facts', so we can verify them ourselves.

Now we'll start;

Marijuana, Weed, Pot, Ganja, whatever you want to call it, is NOT an intoxicant, therefor not a depressant. Marijuana's active ingredients include THC, and Cannaboids. These 2 chemicals are not intoxicants. Alcohol is an intoxicant, maybe this is the source of your confusion. This is the reason that in America they changed the former DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) to DUI (Driving Under the Influence), because DWI does not pertain to Marijuana since it is not considered an intoxicant.

If in america they don't call it intoxicant, does not mean it isn't. They don't consider Alchohol to be a drug and ban it like other drugs, because it's part of their culture. Considering the effects of alchohol anyone will easily put it in the line of other drugs.

Secondly, you stated that Marijuana is a drug that leads to many other drugs, this is nothing but a very very biased myth. Marijuana is not a Gateway Drug (drugs leading to other drugs). And to further amaze you, Marijuana is not addictive either. In fact, a cup of tea has more of an addictive property than a joint of Marijuana.

Pure Propaganda, Marijuana do lead to other drugs when the alternative is available. Most of the marijuana smokers in Afg land up into heroine and cocane. There are millions of them in the world. Watch some of the documentaries on the subject. 

I have never seen any scientifically based claims that state that Marijuana slows down your rational behavior or reactive skills.

Science doesn't answer many of our questions yet, that doesnot mean that it doesn't exist? Look at a addicted person on marijuana, you won't need science to understand his conditions.

To further dispel the many myths of Marijuana:

Marijuana's negative effects are very minimal. The only scientifically based study on marijuanas negative effect is the byproduct of smoke when administering the drug. And on top of that, the smoke produced from pot is nothing compared to the smoke that billows out of a cigarette, cigar, or even Hookah. More interestingly, this minute smoke problem can be easily avoided as Marijuana is also easily digestible, thus skipping the whole smoke session. Now anyone can argue that Marijuana has no harmful effects at all. You can never over-dose on pot either, so this is not a problem at all.

A statement of convenience, depends what you know about its effects and how you view those. What you say minimal might be dangerously damaging.

Marijuana does not cause emphysema, unlike tobacco
Marijuana does not cause cancer (and if you  smoke it you are actually slightly less likely to get cancer)
THC actually helps cleanse the lungs, preventing tumors
Daily marijuana use doesn�t damage your brain
There has never been a study to link marijuana with psychological problems
Marijuana is NOT a gateway drug
Marijuana fights hardened arteries
Marijuana has both stalled the growth of and eliminated brain tumors in rats
Marijuana can prevent blindness
Marijuana is less addictive than caffeine.
Marijuana Prevents Alzheimer's Disease
You can't over-dose on pot
Study finds marijuana use leads to brain development in rats
Study shows kids who smoke pot are actually more successful.
Marijuana Compound May Stop Breast Cancer From Spreading.

You have given ref of a lots of opinions/studies (Not science) which says, what marijuana does not cause. But not one, what it causes. It can sound very funny if someone goes deep into it; like saying having unsafe sex with HIV (AIDS) patients don't cause lung cancer, heart desease or malaria, but never go on to say that it causes AIDS leading to death.

Edited by nu001
knight_47 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knight_47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2008 at 7:19am
Asalamewalakum,

nu001 your post is confusing me deeply.

What do you mean I am only stating opinions! I have given you links to Medical Journals, including WebMD, and some of the most recent scientifically based studies. YOU yourself are posting opinions, not I.

100% of my sources are pure science, nothing is propaganda except for the things you believe.

Again, marijuana is a drug, but it is NOT an intoxicant, it is a "psychoactive" drug. So is caffeine, that does not mean all drugs are haram, this is nonsense.

If marijuana is an intoxicant, that would mean ingesting too much would kill you, like alcohol. But this is not the case. It is impossible to die from smoking marijuana, thus it is NOT an intoxicant. I don't understand which part of this is confusing you.

And again, marijuana is NOT addictive, please stop saying it is, I deeply discourage false information to be spread around, especially on a place like this. I have already given you my sources, you might want to kindly re-read them to educate yourself and dispel many of your myths regarding marijuana.

Infact, another recent study on Marijuana and it's smoking effects have come to prove that users who smoke marijuana are actually MORE successful that those who don't. I find this very interesting. And before you call this another opinion, let me show you the evidence to my statement: http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Drugs/story?id=3822220& page=1

May Allah SWT guide us toward the right path, INSHALLAH.

Edited by knight_47
knight_47 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knight_47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2008 at 10:11am
So is this going to be the end of the argument?

it's been proven that marijuana is NOT harmful. thus no one is harming his/herself when indulging in smoking pot.

Why is it then haram then? Or could it possible be that it is NOT?
nu001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nu001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 2:56am

Originally posted by knight_47 knight_47 wrote:

Asalamewalakum,

nu001 your post is confusing me deeply.

What do you mean I am only stating opinions! I have given you links to Medical Journals, including WebMD, and some of the most recent scientifically based studies. YOU yourself are posting opinions, not I.

Dear Knight, please understand the difference between study and proven science. Studies are basically opinions, not necessarily pure science.

100% of my sources are pure science, nothing is propaganda except for the things you believe.

Again, marijuana is a drug, but it is NOT an intoxicant, it is a "psychoactive" drug. So is caffeine, that does not mean all drugs are haram, this is nonsense.

Haram or Halal depends on your intension of using any drug. If it is a necessary for curing a problem, it's ok, if it is for pleasure, that harms your body, so it is Harm.

If marijuana is an intoxicant, that would mean ingesting too much would kill you, like alcohol. But this is not the case. It is impossible to die from smoking marijuana, thus it is NOT an intoxicant. I don't understand which part of this is confusing you.

And again, marijuana is NOT addictive, please stop saying it is, I deeply discourage false information to be spread around, especially on a place like this. I have already given you my sources, you might want to kindly re-read them to educate yourself and dispel many of your myths regarding marijuana.

Marijuana ofcourse is addictive. It's not intoxicant does not mean that it isn't.

Infact, another recent study on Marijuana and it's smoking effects have come to prove that users who smoke marijuana are actually MORE successful that those who don't. I find this very interesting. And before you call this another opinion, let me show you the evidence to my statement: http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Drugs/story?id=3822220& page=1

May Allah SWT guide us toward the right path, INSHALLAH.

Sorry I am in a hurry so couldn't answer in detail, will be back insha Allah.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic