IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Feminism in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feminism in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feminism in Islam
    Posted: 17 April 2005 at 4:57pm

Probably feminist groups have not stood against the hijab ban because they don't understand the issue. they probably think that girls and women are forced to wear the hijab, so they think that banning it is a good thing. I can understand that, assuming they really don't know that most women wear it voluntarily.

I have a French friend who says that Muslim boys in some schools make trouble by complaining about the clothes that the non-Muslim girls wear, So I suppose the feminists might also think that banning religious items in schools is a way of "getting back" at the groups who complain by demonstrating who has the "real power" in the community. ie: the majority non-Muslims.

Just a theory.

Kim...

Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 12:18pm

As Salamu Alaikum

Firstly I totally agree with SimplyMuslim that no woman can be forced to wear the Hijab. This hold true not only about the Hijab but all religious duties, Salah (prayer), Zakat (Charity) etc. These practices if forced on any individual goes against the teaching and in particular this Ayat : "There in no compulsion in religion."

A woman who wears Hijab is showing her obedience to her Creator, just as she shows her obedience when she prays and fasts or pay her Zakat.

The non-Muslims have made this an issue because it does not serve their purpose. Fashion in the west is big business so they cannot just ignore this great potential market.

When we look from the ancient times through to the Middle Ages and the Renaissance and the Industrial revolution, we find that the women dressed just like the Muslim women dress today-conservative, modest and simple.

For me Hijab means modesty, bashfulness and self respect.

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
kalssum View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalssum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 6:00am
Originally posted by SimplyMuslim SimplyMuslim wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum sanjiv

Great topic

The hijab, I speak from personal opinion, is not just the scarf that covers the head. It is an entire dress code and pattern of behaviour. Having said that, some women wear the hijab yet do not faithfully adhere to Islam, as there are also some women that do not wear the hijab yet practice their religion precisely in other aspects.

Salam

salaam alykum

It saddens me to say that due to the behavior of  some sisters the respect of the hijab is no longar what it used to be.

yes  there are sisters that do not wear the hijab yet practice their religion precisely and i have seen them being shunned by some hijab wearing sisters.

Why do some of us still judge others by their appearance.

Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 5:45am

Sorry guys I was slighty of topic as notified bt Semar.

I raised this topic in general discussions under the heading How should Islam be implented.

Click on the this link to be redirected see ya there.   http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=592& PN=1&TPN=1 

nadeem_aus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadeem_aus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 4:19am

I agree totally with Sister 'Simply Muslim' being a man I do respect sisters who willingly wear hijab, etc a  lot more than those that don't.

I congratulate all sisters who wear hijab and follow the faith.

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 9:22am

Salam,

I agree with you both (sanjiv & simplymuslim), tha twe can not force women to wear hijab, but alss we can not force women to remove their hijab.

The point that I want to raise is most feminist who attact the policy regarding mandatory hijab on some muslim countries, they did nothing when the French Goverment banned hijab. If they genuinely fight for women's right, they should protest on both cases (forcing and banning hijab). That's it.

By the way the original topic actually is not about hijab but about feminism.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
SimplyMuslim View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplyMuslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 9:01am

Assalamu Alaikum sanjiv

Great topic

This is my two cents:

Although wearing the 'hijab' is expressed in the Quran and mandatory in Islam, it is not to be forced upon any woman.

The hijab, I speak from personal opinion, is not just the scarf that covers the head. It is an entire dress code and pattern of behaviour. Having said that, some women wear the hijab yet do not faithfully adhere to Islam, as there are also some women that do not wear the hijab yet practice their religion precisely in other aspects.

About 'being forced' to wear the hijab, it defeats the objective entirely! The objective being full submission to Islam, especially from the heart. In order to embrace the hijab, you must want to do so from the heart, out of a love of Islam and respect for the word of Allah (swt). The benefits of wearing the hijab are numerous, both in this life and the next.

Yet it is futile to impose it upon a woman who does not understand its significance and does not practice Islam as one should (i.e prayers, fasting etc). It is also pointless to wear the hijab and then dance around at a mixed party for example, it is a contradiction. As is wearing a head scarf yet coupling it with very tight, skimpy clothes that allow other parts of the body to show. The hijab requires a committment to Islam and its practice and should not be used aimlessly to satisfy non religious whims.

I can not stress enough that a woman must want to wear the hijab of her own free will. Being forced into anything will either breed resentment or hypocrisy, wearing the hijab is no exception to that rule. It must not be forced upon any woman. Rather, women should be taught about what is said in the Quran about it and told about the benefits.

It is a great feeling to step outside wearing the hijab and acting according to it since it in itself commands a certain way of behaving. Not only did Allah (swt) command us women to wear it, but it identifies us as muslim women and informs others of their restrictions when dealing with us, especially those that are aware, particularly muslim brothers (although not always the case, unfortunately). I also find that non-muslims treat women that adopt the hijab with more respect and courtesy...many of the staff working at my university refrain from swearing infront of me!  for that I am thankful

Personally, I find the hijab and all that it entails is empowering, I know that all that I have achieved in my life is due to my intellect and personality and not the size of my bust or the curve of my hips (or the lack of either as the case may be  ) It makes me aware constantly of my faith and Allah (swt) and prevents me from putting myself in compromising positions. I really love my hijab, and I mean that with all the honesty I posses, walahi it is the truth. In fact, I would feel completely naked without it!

I hope that all made some sort of sense!

It will be interesting to hear everyones opinion on the topic

Salam

Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 7:59am

I was watching this interesting documentry called Muslims on this is going a fair way back I think its 2002. Their was a mention the hijab was not a representation of Islam nor are women forced to wear it. Another interesting fact mentioned was the sharia law cannot be forced on someone it's up to the invidual to take up these doctrines themselves and put it to use.

As I am not well grounded I will not speculate but your responces will be greatly appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic