IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - is masturbation haram?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

is masturbation haram?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is masturbation haram?
    Posted: 11 May 2011 at 4:02pm
Hi,

I am a Muslim married woman. I masturbated while away from my husband. I wasn't sure that was a mistake. I did a research and found out that some say its haram. I hated myself for what I did. I will never do it again.
My question is if a married woman has masturbated, does that make her marriage invalid. am I still considered a wife to my husband or not? can I continue on living with my husband as his wife?

am so bewildered and lost!!!

Thank you,
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:58pm

As you pointed out the people of knowledge differ whether masturbation is forbidden, however it doesn't invalidate your marriage.  Even if you take the opinion that it is forbidden, simply seek forgiveness and don't mentioned this to anyone.  If you take the opinion it is permissible,  than like relations with your husband, keep it a private matter and don't stress yourself.

Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 5:55am
It might interest you that EU Nations include masturbation in their sex education and promote the practice.

There are several health benefits. Sexual climax, from masturbation or otherwise, leaves one in a relaxed and contented state. This is frequently followed closely by drowsiness and sleep � particularly when one masturbates in bed. Some professionals consider masturbation to function as a cardiovascular workout.

It is my limited understanding of Islam that only obsessive, compulsive and excessive masturbation is considered haram.

Otherwise it's really harmless.

Whatever you decide it's nobody's business except yours. No religion has a right to impose any rules about such private matters when no harm is done.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 5:36pm
Matt,
you tried to sound like an authority on the subject but you just gave your personal opinion without anything to back it up. On a similar "private" matter you would probably give similar advice of following one's own mind?
Of course every matter for a believer is a matter on which he/she makes sure its not going to be against what Creator has prescribed. But at the end it is the person who is of course free to decide what they want,  and that will affect their destiny.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 15 June 2011 at 5:38pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2011 at 12:31am
Living in the west and worrying about such matters is just plain silly!
People do lot egregious things before getting on guilt trip! IMO this is a lot safer than getting carried away in the heat of desire and do adulterous stuff which is not so difficult while living in the UK! This hillaling in UK is getting to be appalling!
There is nothing in Quran about the subject but if one gets really picayune I think it would un-Islamic to live in the west where at every turn one is confronted with some sexual or skin display in one way or the other!
It is her stuff and she doesn't need to tell anyone as abuayesha said it is private business! And don't get it why did she have to come here with this quandary!
Even if it is my daughter I would NOT recommend her going to an Imam etc for this kind of stuff...I have seen the disaster that came to a community nearby for the women running to imam trivialities and then....
If God didn't want, HE could make the part insensitive and joyless, then guess what it would have been a chore for men to get to the first base, much less a home run...Last but not the least don't forget "the period" when even God doesn't want her to talk to Him and told the husband to stay out cuz never know what she can utter or be doing; So let's not be prudesWink

Edited by Sign*Reader - 16 June 2011 at 2:50pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Moizraza View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moizraza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 2:44am
Masturbation (for both men and women) is haram (forbidden) in Islam based on evidence from the Quran and the Sunnah. See the detailed answer for 13 tips on how to give up masturbation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic