IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Prophets - Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FLOOD OF NOAH DIDN´T COVER WORLD IN KORAN  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFLOOD OF NOAH DIDN�T COVER WORLD IN KORAN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful...

Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

I find your argument to be quite interesting, since you have in the past referred to the tafsir writers to back up your interpretation of the Quran, yet when they say something you disagree with, you oppose them!!!

Have you forgotten that I also said that tafsirs are human endeavors and that they cannot replaces the Quran and Sunnah?  Tafsirs are useful for the purposes of exegesis but they are not infallible.  You will not find one Islamic scholar who would say that tafsirs are completely reliable.  In fact, I challenge you to provide one example of an Islamic scholar who believes this.

Then why do you and many other Muslims use them to help 'explain' what certain verses in the Quran mean? How "useful" are they for "purposes of exegesis" if they are based on ex-Jewish sources? Or do you get to choose which ones you agree and disagree with, and whatever disagrees with your interpretation you can blame on the Israelite sources?

The fact  that Ibn Jalalayn only mentioned some people groups does not change the fact he claims all human beings descended from Noah`s sons. Perhaps he believed all human beings originated from these groups. Either way, he did state that all human beings were descended from Noah`s family.

Yet, it did not mention every nation.  What happened to the Chinese?

Perhaps the authors believed the Chinese originated from the races named already?

Also, you are confused about the authors of the Tafsir al-Jalalayn.  The word "al-Jalalayn" means "the two Jalals".  It is so named because it had two authors, Jalal al-Din al-Mahali and his student Jalal al-Din al-Suyuti [1].  It was not written by someone named "Ibn Jalalayn". 

You are right about that, thank you for correcting me.

In addition, according to Dr. Ghazi bin Muhammad bin Talal, the Tafsir al-Jalalayn, like many tafsirs, incorporates many traditions belonging to the "Israliyaat", which I mentioned before:

"...it fills in, based largely on the Bible and its Rabbinical and Patristic Commentaries gleaned mostly from early Christian and Jewish converts to Islam (and therefore containing some confused, polemical and apocryphal material), the historical order, details and context of many of the stories in the Qur�an concerning the Biblical Prophets and Jesus (p.b.u.h.) and his family and disciples. This element is known in Arabic as Isrā�īliyyāt (�Tales of the Children of Israel�) and is generally thought of as not only the
most controversial part of Tafsīr al-Jalālayn, but of Tafsīr in general, because of the tenuousness of some of the material involved. However, it is extremely useful for understanding the background � and therefore
also the meaning (symbolic or otherwise) � of many of the tales of the Qur�an, such that few if any Classical Commentaries have ever able been able to ignore it." [2]

You can find this article on the very website that you used to find the tafsirs. 

This is why all tafsirs need to be read with caution.  To give you a perfect example, consider the tradition mentioned in the tafsirs about Noah's sons being the ancestors of many races of people (or as you claim, of all mankind).  This tradition is nowhere to be found in either the Quran or the authentic hadiths! 

OK, now I am confused. If the tafsirs contain " confused, polemical and apocryphal" material, then what is the point of even referring to them? How would such 'misinformation' from new Jewish and Christian converts help understand the background of the verses in the Quran?

Also, how do you know Ibn Abbas got this tradition from the hadith? According to Bassem Zawadi, the only hadith that teaches mankind descended from Noah's sons is this one:

According to Ibn Bashshar- Ibn `Athmah- Sa'id b. Bashir- Qatadah- al-Hasan- Samurah b. Jundub- the Prophet, in connection with commenting on God's word: `And We made his offspring the survivors': Shem, Ham, and Japheth. (Ibid, p. 369)

http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/rebuttal_to_sam_shamoun_s_article__does_the_quran_teach_a_local_flood__

Bassam Zawadi claims Ibn Abbas` tafsir of the flood verses is `likely based from Israelite sources`. Really? How does he know this? What proof does he provide for his claim?

It is well-known, as I showed above, that the "Israliyyat" were commonly used by the tafsir writers to fill-in certain details in the Quranic narrative.  That does not make them anymore authentic. 

With regard to the Tafsir of Ibn Abbas, Mokrane Guezzou notes in his translation of the tafsir:

"Another striking feature of this commentary of the Qur�an is its heavy reliance on the so-called Isra�iliyyat. Isra�iliyyat is a term used to refer to those reports and narrations found in commentaries of the Qur�an, Sufi literature, histories of the prophets, the reports of the storytellers (qussas) as well as other genres of writing like the belle-letters." [3]

This is also found on the same website that you have using. 

As you can see, Muslim scholars recognize these problems with the tafsirs.  So, what position are you in to tell us otherwise, being that you are a Christian with limited knowledge about the Islamic sources?  Did you know that there is even some controversy as to whether the Tafsir of Ibn Abbas was even authored by Ibn Abbas?  This is how "Al-Tafsir.com" describes the Tafsir of Ibn Abbas:

"Attributed variously to the Companion Abdullah Ibn Abbas (d. 68/687) and to Muhammad ibn Ya�qub al-Firuzabadi (d. 817/1414), Tanw�r al-Miqb�s is one of the most pivotal works for understanding the environment which influenced the development of Qur�anic exegesis. Despite its uncertain authorship and its reliance on the controversial Isr��liyyat or Israelite stories, Tanw�r al-Miqb�s nevertheless offers readers valuable insight into the circulation and exchange of popular ideas between Islam, Judaism and Christianity during the formative phase of Islamic exegesis." [3]

Guezzou, the translator I previously referred to, goes even further and explicitly states that the tafsir was not written by Ibn Abbas but has been attributed to him erroneously:

"There is no doubt that this commentary is not the work of Ibn �Abbas. The chain of transmitters of this commentary goes back to Muhammad Ibn Marwan> al-Kalbi> Abu Salih which is described by Hadith experts as the chain of lies (silsilat al-kadhib), for this line of transmission is utterly dubious and unreliable.  One does not even need to use the criteria for reliable transmission applied by Hadith experts to decide this commentary�s wrong attribution to Ibn �Abbas. It is easy to detect obvious anomalies in the text of Tanwir al-Miqbas which leave one with no doubt that whoever wrote it lived many centuries after Ibn �Abbas." [4]

As you can see, there is good reason to read the tafsirs with caution.  You are not in a position to criticize Muslims for accepting some parts and rejecting others. 

Don't get mad at me for interpreting the Quran based on Muslim sources that you and some others happen to disagree with, you do the same with the Bible.

It seems from this that the tafsirs are unreliable and should not be used to interpret the Quran. It is claimed that tafsir Ibn Abbas was written centuries after him.

I will be sure to point this out to you the next time you use them to 'explain' what verses from the Quran mean (or to support your interpretation of them). Wink

Ibn Abbas personally knew Muhammad when he was a young boy, and knew his companions. Why would he turn to Israelite sources for interpretation?

You are assuming that Ibn Abbas had all sorts of information from Muhammad (pbuh).  If that were the case, then obviously we would find stories related by Ibn Abbas or the other companions about Noah's sons being the ancestors of all mankind in the Sahih hadiths.  Can you provide any examples?

Just because Ibn Abbas was a companion of the Prophet does not make him infallible. 

Why would that need to be the case? Is everything that Ibn Abbas said that is not recorded in the hadith false?

From this exchange, I guess though that his tafsir, and the tafsirs Jalalayn and Kathir should be dismissed since they contain all kinds of inaccuracies based on ex-Christians and ex-Jews.

Bassam Zawadi claims there are no clear texts in reliable Islamic sources that reject or accept Noah's flood as being universal

So in other words, are the tafsir of Ibn Abbas, Ibn Kathir and Ibn Jalalayn unreliable?

I had already explained this briefly in the email debate.  Perhaps you have not gotten that far yet.  In any case, the information given above shows that the tafsirs are not completely reliable.  I have been saying that for a long time!  Our most trust-worthy sources are the Quran and Sunnah.  The tafsirs are not scripture, so why would they be considered to completely reliable?

I didn't get that far yet, I guess. Given that they are not completely reliable, it would be best if you stopped using them to explain what the Quran teaches.

You also didn`t answer my previous question- if the flood was only local, why would God command Noah to take two of every species with him on the boat?

The answer is very simple.  Perhaps God was referring to two of every species in the region, or perhaps He was referring to only Noah's animals.  We can't say for sure.

Why would God tell Noah to take two of every species of his animals? Domestic animals of some sort live in every part of the world!

I guess then it is also possible that when you believe God said "every nation in the following passage", He could have meant every nation in the middle east:

16:36

And We certainly sent into every nation a messenger, [saying], "Worship Allah and avoid Taghut." And among them were those whom Allah guided, and among them were those upon whom error was [deservedly] decreed. So proceed through the earth and observe how was the end of the deniers.

http://quran.com/16

I am assuming you aren't sure about that, either? Notice that the author didn't mention the Chinese, as you noticed tafsir Jalalayn does not.

Does the Quran or hadith specifically say that this means every nation, and is not just limited to a part of the world?

But think about it.  Would the ark have been big enough to have room for every single species of animals?  There are literally millions of species of animals, not including insects.  Do you really think that there would have been enough room?

Why would it have been impossible for God to fit them in?

That is why I think that if the flood was global, then there would have been other arks because other prophets would have been sent as well to the other nations.  If, on the other hand, only Noah's people were affected or if they were somehow the only people on the earth (which is unlikely), then it stands to reason that Noah (pbuh) was commanded to only take animals in the region that was going to be affected by the flood. 

Or there is another possibility... that only Noah's people were on the earth at that time, and there were no various nations yet.

According to Bassem Zawadi, it is entirely possible that Noah's people were the only ones around, so the flood drowned all humans who were not on the Ark.

Surah 71:26-27 could be interpreted in more than one way. One way is that Noah was praying against the disbelievers in his land. Another way is that Noah was making a general prayer against all disbelievers on planet earth; however that does not necessarily imply that the flood was global. Our Islamic sources (contrary to Biblical sources) do not tell us exactly how many years ago this event took place. Thus, we don't know how the people were spread about the earth at that time. It is said that Noah came after Adam by approximately ten generations. It would be far fetched to believe that in such a time span so many people spread throughout the entire planet. It is most likely that all the people on planet Earth were only Noah's people or some other people who did not live very far away from Noah's land. Therefore, a universal flood wouldn't be necessary in order to wipe out all disbelievers from the face of the planet earth (America was supposedly not discovered at this time yet, so why have a flood occur there?)

http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/rebuttal_to_sam_shamoun_s_article__does_the_quran_teach_a_local_flood__

What's your view on this?

After all, if only part of the earth was flooded, the animals could have gone elsewhere. There would have been no need to gather two of each, since they could have multiplied with other creatures in the parts of the world that were unaffected by the flood.

You are assuming that every single animal can adapt to every single environment.  This is completely inaccurate.  For example, some animals cannot survive in desert terrain.  Others are more suited for colder environments. 

If He was referring to two of every species in the region, why include the birds? They are completely capable of migration.

A bird can easily fly away to a different place. Yet God told Noah to take all species into the Ark with him and his family.

The claim that "all species" refers to all animals in a particular region makes no sense, since many animals are capable of migration and birds can simply fly away.

Arguing this applied to only the domestic animals is equally baffling, since most types of domestic animals are found across the globe. People have livestock, dogs, cats, almost everywhere in the world.

It is extremely clear that the Quran teaches that the flood was global, and killed off every human being on earth with the exception of those who got on the boat. Ibn Abbas, who knew Muhammad personally, knew this. So did Kathir and Jalalayn. I would say their acknowledgement that the Quran teaches the flood was global is far more reliable than Zawadi`s thoughts on the matter. He did not know Muhammad or his companions. Ibn Abbas did.

You are in no position to make these sorts of "fatwas".  Smile  There have been many detailed studies done by Islamic scholars that show that the tafsirs are not to be blindly accepted.  These scholars' opinions more weight than your personal opinions.

The Quran does not say explicitly that the flood was global or local.  The tafsirs do claim that the flood was global, but that is not based on the Quran or Sunnah. 

The only thing that is "extremely clear" is that it is the Bible that teaches that the flood was global.  The Quran is not clear on the issue.  Moreover, whether the flood was global or not is not the point of the Quranic narrative.  What is more important is the moral lesson that needs to be understood for reading the story. 

We agree that the Bible teaches the flood was global. We agree also that the tafsirs do teach that the flood was global. I see that according to you they are also inaccurate and therefore I trust you will not use them in the future to explain the Quran or refer to them for a better understanding.

BTW can you please show me scholarly sources from close to the time of the tafsir writers that claim that the flood was regional, as you and some Muslims claim?

Furthermore, the site you cited, uses some of the same style of attacks on Christianity as answering-christianity. It isn`t that different from answering-islam or similar sites that are used to attack Muslim beliefs.

I don't see how that is relevant here.  It is a Muslim website which I used to offer a Muslim perspective on the Quranic story of the flood.  What does that have to do with its "syle of attacks on Christianity"?   

It's an offhand observation. I try to stay away from sites like "answering-islam", which also offer Christian perspectives on the Bible but are used often to attack Muslims. If I am not incorrect, you encourage people to not use "answering islam" as a source... yet you are using a guy whose articles appear on "answering christianity" and writes in the same style as anti-Muslim Christians do.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2012 at 1:04pm

I find your argument to be quite interesting, since you have in the past referred to the tafsir writers to back up your interpretation of the Quran, yet when they say something you disagree with, you oppose them!!!

Have you forgotten that I also said that tafsirs are human endeavors and that they cannot replaces the Quran and Sunnah?  Tafsirs are useful for the purposes of exegesis but they are not infallible.  You will not find one Islamic scholar who would say that tafsirs are completely reliable.  In fact, I challenge you to provide one example of an Islamic scholar who believes this.

The fact  that Ibn Jalalayn only mentioned some people groups does not change the fact he claims all human beings descended from Noah`s sons. Perhaps he believed all human beings originated from these groups. Either way, he did state that all human beings were descended from Noah`s family.

Yet, it did not mention every nation.  What happened to the Chinese?  Also, you are confused about the authors of the Tafsir al-Jalalayn.  The word "al-Jalalayn" means "the two Jalals".  It is so named because it had two authors, Jalal al-Din al-Mahali and his student Jalal al-Din al-Suyuti [1].  It was not written by someone named "Ibn Jalalayn". 

In addition, according to Dr. Ghazi bin Muhammad bin Talal, the Tafsir al-Jalalayn, like many tafsirs, incorporates many traditions belonging to the "Israliyaat", which I mentioned before:

"...it fills in, based largely on the Bible and its Rabbinical and Patristic Commentaries gleaned mostly from early Christian and Jewish converts to Islam (and therefore containing some confused, polemical and apocryphal material), the historical order, details and context of many of the stories in the Qur�an concerning the Biblical Prophets and Jesus (p.b.u.h.) and his family and disciples. This element is known in Arabic as Isrā�īliyyāt (�Tales of the Children of Israel�) and is generally thought of as not only the
most controversial part of Tafsīr al-Jalālayn, but of Tafsīr in general, because of the tenuousness of some of the material involved. However, it is extremely useful for understanding the background � and therefore
also the meaning (symbolic or otherwise) � of many of the tales of the Qur�an, such that few if any Classical Commentaries have ever able been able to ignore it." [2]

You can find this article on the very website that you used to find the tafsirs. 

This is why all tafsirs need to be read with caution.  To give you a perfect example, consider the tradition mentioned in the tafsirs about Noah's sons being the ancestors of many races of people (or as you claim, of all mankind).  This tradition is nowhere to be found in either the Quran or the authentic hadiths! 

Bassam Zawadi claims Ibn Abbas` tafsir of the flood verses is `likely based from Israelite sources`. Really? How does he know this? What proof does he provide for his claim?

It is well-known, as I showed above, that the "Israliyyat" were commonly used by the tafsir writers to fill-in certain details in the Quranic narrative.  That does not make them anymore authentic. 

With regard to the Tafsir of Ibn Abbas, Mokrane Guezzou notes in his translation of the tafsir:

"Another striking feature of this commentary of the Qur�an is its heavy reliance on the so-called Isra�iliyyat. Isra�iliyyat is a term used to refer to those reports and narrations found in commentaries of the Qur�an, Sufi literature, histories of the prophets, the reports of the storytellers (qussas) as well as other genres of writing like the belle-letters." [3]

This is also found on the same website that you have using. 

As you can see, Muslim scholars recognize these problems with the tafsirs.  So, what position are you in to tell us otherwise, being that you are a Christian with limited knowledge about the Islamic sources?  Did you know that there is even some controversy as to whether the Tafsir of Ibn Abbas was even authored by Ibn Abbas?  This is how "Al-Tafsir.com" describes the Tafsir of Ibn Abbas:

"Attributed variously to the Companion Abdullah Ibn Abbas (d. 68/687) and to Muhammad ibn Ya�qub al-Firuzabadi (d. 817/1414), Tanw�r al-Miqb�s is one of the most pivotal works for understanding the environment which influenced the development of Qur�anic exegesis. Despite its uncertain authorship and its reliance on the controversial Isr��liyyat or Israelite stories, Tanw�r al-Miqb�s nevertheless offers readers valuable insight into the circulation and exchange of popular ideas between Islam, Judaism and Christianity during the formative phase of Islamic exegesis." [3]

Guezzou, the translator I previously referred to, goes even further and explicitly states that the tafsir was not written by Ibn Abbas but has been attributed to him erroneously:

"There is no doubt that this commentary is not the work of Ibn �Abbas. The chain of transmitters of this commentary goes back to Muhammad Ibn Marwan> al-Kalbi> Abu Salih which is described by Hadith experts as the chain of lies (silsilat al-kadhib), for this line of transmission is utterly dubious and unreliable.  One does not even need to use the criteria for reliable transmission applied by Hadith experts to decide this commentary�s wrong attribution to Ibn �Abbas. It is easy to detect obvious anomalies in the text of Tanwir al-Miqbas which leave one with no doubt that whoever wrote it lived many centuries after Ibn �Abbas." [4]

As you can see, there is good reason to read the tafsirs with caution.  You are not in a position to criticize Muslims for accepting some parts and rejecting others. 

Ibn Abbas personally knew Muhammad when he was a young boy, and knew his companions. Why would he turn to Israelite sources for interpretation?

You are assuming that Ibn Abbas had all sorts of information from Muhammad (pbuh).  If that were the case, then obviously we would find stories related by Ibn Abbas or the other companions about Noah's sons being the ancestors of all mankind in the Sahih hadiths.  Can you provide any examples?

Just because Ibn Abbas was a companion of the Prophet does not make him infallible. 

Bassam Zawadi claims there are no clear texts in reliable Islamic sources that reject or accept Noah's flood as being universal

So in other words, are the tafsir of Ibn Abbas, Ibn Kathir and Ibn Jalalayn unreliable?

I had already explained this briefly in the email debate.  Perhaps you have not gotten that far yet.  In any case, the information given above shows that the tafsirs are not completely reliable.  I have been saying that for a long time!  Our most trust-worthy sources are the Quran and Sunnah.  The tafsirs are not scripture, so why would they be considered to completely reliable?

You also didn`t answer my previous question- if the flood was only local, why would God command Noah to take two of every species with him on the boat?

The answer is very simple.  Perhaps God was referring to two of every species in the region, or perhaps He was referring to only Noah's animals.  We can't say for sure.

But think about it.  Would the ark have been big enough to have room for every single species of animals?  There are literally millions of species of animals, not including insects.  Do you really think that there would have been enough room?  That is why I think that if the flood was global, then there would have been other arks because other prophets would have been sent as well to the other nations.  If, on the other hand, only Noah's people were affected or if they were somehow the only people on the earth (which is unlikely), then it stands to reason that Noah (pbuh) was commanded to only take animals in the region that was going to be affected by the flood. 

After all, if only part of the earth was flooded, the animals could have gone elsewhere. There would have been no need to gather two of each, since they could have multiplied with other creatures in the parts of the world that were unaffected by the flood.

You are assuming that every single animal can adapt to every single environment.  This is completely inaccurate.  For example, some animals cannot survive in desert terrain.  Others are more suited for colder environments. 

It is extremely clear that the Quran teaches that the flood was global, and killed off every human being on earth with the exception of those who got on the boat. Ibn Abbas, who knew Muhammad personally, knew this. So did Kathir and Jalalayn. I would say their acknowledgement that the Quran teaches the flood was global is far more reliable than Zawadi`s thoughts on the matter. He did not know Muhammad or his companions. Ibn Abbas did.

You are in no position to make these sorts of "fatwas".  Smile  There have been many detailed studies done by Islamic scholars that show that the tafsirs are not to be blindly accepted.  These scholars' opinions carry more weight than your personal opinions.

The Quran does not say explicitly that the flood was global or local.  The tafsirs do claim that the flood was global, but that is not based on the Quran or Sunnah.   

The only thing that is "extremely clear" is that it is the Bible that teaches that the flood was global.  The Quran is not clear on the issue.  Moreover, whether the flood was global or not is not the point of the Quranic narrative.  What is more important is the moral lesson that needs to be understood from reading the story. 

Furthermore, the site you cited, uses some of the same style of attacks on Christianity as answering-christianity. It isn`t that different from answering-islam or similar sites that are used to attack Muslim beliefs.

I don't see how that is relevant here.  It is a Muslim website which I used to offer a Muslim perspective on the Quranic story of the flood.  What does that have to do with its "syle of attacks on Christianity"?   

Edited by islamispeace - 26 December 2012 at 1:09pm
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 10:09pm

Sorry, but none of the tafsirs say people in a certain geographic locality were affected by the flood.

Ibn Jalalayn specifically wrote that all human beings are descended from Noah.

"and made his descendants the survivors, thus all human beings are descended from him, peace be upon him. He had three sons: Shem (Sām), the ancestor of the Arabs, the Persians and the Byzantines; Ham (Hām), the ancestor of the Negroes; and Japheth (Yāfith), the ancestor of the Turks, the Khazar and [the peoples of] Gog and Magog and [the inhabitants of] such regions." (Tafsir Al-Jalalayn)

You are ignoring the part of the tafsir where only certain nations are named as the descendants of the sons of Noah (pbuh).  The tafsir does not mention the Chinese, for example.  How then can you maintain that all human beings are descended from Noah's sons.  The tafsir only names certain nations. 

Moreover, as I have mentioned to you in the past, the tafsirs are not scripture.  They cannot replace the Quran and Sunnah.  Tafsirs can contain mistakes or inauthentic information, and this includes all tafsirs, even that of Ibn Abbas.  As Bassam Zawadi notes, Ibn Abbas was known to relate stories he had heard from the Jews (and which are not regarded as authentic):

"...these are most likely from the Israeliyaat sources (something that Ibn Abbass was known to pass off) and they are not binding upon us Muslims since our only sources of religious authority are the Qur'an and authentic Prophetic traditions. " [1]

The same can be said of Ibn Kathir's tafsir.  I was already aware that Ibn Kathir believed that the flood was a global one.  But the Quran does not specify clearly whether it was a global flood.  It could have been or it may not have been.  If it was global, then it stands to reason that Noah (pbuh) would not have been the only prophet sent to warn his people.  There would have been others and as a result, there would have been other arks.  Yet, the Quran only mentions that the flood destroyed the people of Noah (pbuh) specifically.  This could be for one of two reasons:

1.  Only Noah's people were destroyed by the flood, which would mean that it was a local flood, or,

2.  Only their story is mentioned because it is the most well-known.

In closing, just because the tafsirs say that the flood was global does not make it so.  The Quran is not clear on the subject and so Muslims would have to withhold judgment, as it is a matter of the unknown.  Only God knows best.  So, if you were to ask me whether the flood was global or local, my answer would be "I don't know."

As Bassam Zawadi states:

"In conclusion, there are no clear texts in reliable Islamic sources that reject or accept Noah's flood as being universal. In order for the Christian or anyone else to level this argument successfully they must be able to clearly show that reliable Islamic sources do teach that a universal flood occurred." [Ibid.]

Edited by TG12345 - 25 December 2012 at 10:15pm
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 11:12am

Sorry, but none of the tafsirs say people in a certain geographic locality were affected by the flood.

"and made his descendants the survivors, thus all human beings are descended from him, peace be upon him. He had three sons: Shem (Sām), the ancestor of the Arabs, the Persians and the Byzantines; Ham (Hām), the ancestor of the Negroes; and Japheth (Yāfith), the ancestor of the Turks, the Khazar and [the peoples of] Gog and Magog and [the inhabitants of] such regions." (Tafsir Al-Jalalayn)

You are ignoring the part of the tafsir where only certain nations are named as the descendants of the sons of Noah (pbuh).  The tafsir does not mention the Chinese, for example.  How then can you maintain that all human beings are descended from Noah's sons.  The tafsir only names certain nations. 

Moreover, as I have mentioned to you in the past, the tafsirs are not scripture.  They cannot replace the Quran and Sunnah.  Tafsirs can contain mistakes or inauthentic information, and this includes all tafsirs, even that of Ibn Abbas.  As Bassam Zawadi notes, Ibn Abbas was known to relate stories he had heard from the Jews (and which are not regarded as authentic):

"...these are most likely from the Israeliyaat sources (something that Ibn Abbass was known to pass off) and they are not binding upon us Muslims since our only sources of religious authority are the Qur'an and authentic Prophetic traditions. " [1]

The same can be said of Ibn Kathir's tafsir.  I was already aware that Ibn Kathir believed that the flood was a global one.  But the Quran does not specify clearly whether it was a global flood.  It could have been or it may not have been.  If it was global, then it stands to reason that Noah (pbuh) would not have been the only prophet sent to warn his people.  There would have been others and as a result, there would have been other arks.  Yet, the Quran only mentions that the flood destroyed the people of Noah (pbuh) specifically.  This could be for one of two reasons:

1.  Only Noah's people were destroyed by the flood, which would mean that it was a local flood, or,

2.  Only their story is mentioned because it is the most well-known.

In closing, just because the tafsirs say that the flood was global does not make it so.  The Quran is not clear on the subject and so Muslims would have to withhold judgment, as it is a matter of the unknown.  Only God knows best.  So, if you were to ask me whether the flood was global or local, my answer would be "I don't know."

As Bassam Zawadi states:

"In conclusion, there are no clear texts in reliable Islamic sources that reject or accept Noah's flood as being universal. In order for the Christian or anyone else to level this argument successfully they must be able to clearly show that reliable Islamic sources do teach that a universal flood occurred." [Ibid.]

Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2012 at 9:16pm

If the flood was a local one, why would God according to the Quran order Noah to take aboard 2 of every species of animals?

Also, according to Ibn Abbas' tafsir of 37:77, humans are all descended from Noah's sons.

bn Abbas

(And made his seed the survivors) until the Day of Judgement. Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Yapheth. Shem is the father of the Arabs and those people surrounding them; Ham is the father the Abyssinians, Berbers and inhabitants of Sind; and Yapheth is the father of the rest of people,

Altafsir.com - The Tafsirs - ��������

If I am not mistaken, Ibn Abbas knew both Muhammad and his companions personally. Ibn Jalalayn and Ibn Kathir confirm people are all descended from Noah in their tafsirs.

The tafsirs do not say that "all" people were descended from the sons of Noah (pbuh), but only the people in a certain geographical locality:

"(And made his seed the survivors) until the Day of Judgement. Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Yapheth. Shem is the father of the Arabs and those people surrounding them; Ham is the father the Abyssinians, Berbers and inhabitants of Sind; and Yapheth is the father of the rest of people," (Tafsir of Ibn Abbas)

"(Sam was the father of the Arabs, Ham was the father of the Ethiopians and Yafith was the father of the Romans.)'' This was also recorded by At-Tirmidhi. What is meant here by Romans is the original Romans, i.e., the Greeks who claimed descent from Ruma (Roma) the son of Liti, the son of Yunan, the son of Yafith, the son of Nuh, peace be upon him." (Tafsir Ibn Kathir)

As you can see, none of the tafsirs mentions other civilizations like those inhabiting North and South America, China, Japan etc.  They only refer to the people in some parts of Asia, Africa and Europe.  Therefore, it cannot be concluded based on the tafsirs whether the flood was regional or global.  It could have been either.  It is a matter of faith either way because we are talking about events which occurred thousands of years ago.  I tend to lean towards the flood being regional.  If it was global, then it means that other arks could also have been made because Allah (swt) would have warned all people in the world, not just the people of Noah (pbuh), but his story was told because it is the most well-known.    

Unless you want to argue that people outside of certain parts of Europe, Africa and Asia are not human beings, it is made pretty clear that all humans descended from Noah's family.

Ibn Kathir in his tafsir makes it pretty clear the whole earth was flooded. I was going to save these points for our debate, but here we go anyways. Smile

Ibn Kathir in his tafsir made it pretty clear that God destroyed all on the face of the earth who were disbelievers, that there were no 'sons of Adam' (human beings) alive on the earth except those who boarded the boat, and that all people descended from the offspring of Noah.

Tafsir of 71:26

(And Nuh said: "My Lord! Leave not one of the disbelievers on the earth Dayyar!'') meaning, do not leave a single one of them on the face of the earth, not even a lone individual. This is a method of speaking that gives emphasis to the negation. Ad-Dahhak said, "Dayyar means one.'' As-Suddi said, "Dayyar is the one who stays in the home.'' So Allah answered his supplication and He destroyed all of those on the face of the earth who were disbelievers. He (Allah) even destroyed Nuh's (biological) son from his own loins, who separated himself from his father (Nuh). He (Nuh's son) said,

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1495&Itemid=127

Tafsir of 37:76,77

And indeed Nuh invoked Us, and We are the best of those who answer.)

﴿وَنَجَّيْنَـهُ وَأَهْلَهُ مِنَ الْكَرْبِ الْعَظِيمِ ﴾

(And We rescued him and his family from the great distress.) means, their disbelief and their insults.

﴿وَجَعَلْنَا ذُرِّيَّتَهُ هُمُ الْبَـقِينَ ﴾

(And, his progeny, them We made the survivors.) `Ali bin Abi Talhah reported that Ibn `Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, "There was no one left apart from the offspring of Nuh, peace be upon him.'' Sa`id bin Abi `Arubah said, narrating from Qatadah concerning the Ayah,

﴿وَجَعَلْنَا ذُرِّيَّتَهُ هُمُ الْبَـقِينَ ﴾

(And, his progeny, them We made the survivors.) "All people descended from the offspring of Nuh, peace be upon him.''

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1933&Itemid=93

This is his tafsir of verse 25:40

And Nuh's people, when they denied the Messengers,) although Allah sent only Nuh to them, and he stayed among them for 950 years, calling them to Allah and warning them of His punishment,

﴿وَمَآ ءَامَنَ مَعَهُ إِلاَّ قَلِيلٌ﴾

(And none believed with him, except a few) (11:40). For this reason Allah drowned them all and left no one among the sons of Adam alive on earth apart from those who boarded the boat,

﴿وَجَعَلْنَـهُمْ لِلنَّاسِ ءَايَةً﴾

(and We made them a sign for mankind.) meaning a lesson to be learned. This is like the Ayah,

﴿إِنَّا لَمَّا طَغَا الْمَآءُ حَمَلْنَـكُمْ فِى الْجَارِيَةِ - لِنَجْعَلَهَا لَكُمْ تَذْكِرَةً وَتَعِيَهَآ أُذُنٌ وَعِيَةٌ ﴾

(Verily, when the water rose beyond its limits, We carried you in the boat. That We might make it a remembrance for you, and the keen ear may understand it) (69:11-12), which means: `We left for you ships that you ride upon to travel across the depths of the seas, so that you may remember the blessing of Allah towards you when He saved you from drowning, and made you the descendants of those who believed in Allah and followed His commandments.'

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2394&Itemid=80

Ibn Abbas divided the descendants of the sons of Noah into three groups, the Arabs and those sorrounding them, the Abyssinians, Berbers and people of Sind, and "the rest of the people".

"(And made his seed the survivors) until the Day of Judgement. Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Yapheth. Shem is the father of the Arabs and those people surrounding them; Ham is the father the Abyssinians, Berbers and inhabitants of Sind; and Yapheth is the father of the rest of people," (Tafsir of Ibn Abbas)

None of the tafsir say that the flood was a regional event or that the descendants of Noah are only people in a certain part of the world, yet Ibn Kathir and Ibn Jalalayn say that all people descended from Noah's family, Ibn Abbas divides the sons of Noah's inhabitants into a few ethnic groups and "the rest of people" and Ibn Kathir makes it explicitly clear that God destroyed everyone on the earth who did not go on the ark.

I don't think it can be any more clear that the flood was global and wiped out everyone except those who went with Noah on the ark.

Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2012 at 1:30pm

If the flood was a local one, why would God according to the Quran order Noah to take aboard 2 of every species of animals?

Also, according to Ibn Abbas' tafsir of 37:77, humans are all descended from Noah's sons.

bn Abbas

(And made his seed the survivors) until the Day of Judgement. Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Yapheth. Shem is the father of the Arabs and those people surrounding them; Ham is the father the Abyssinians, Berbers and inhabitants of Sind; and Yapheth is the father of the rest of people,

If I am not mistaken, Ibn Abbas knew both Muhammad and his companions personally. Ibn Jalalayn and Ibn Kathir confirm people are all descended from Noah in their tafsirs.

The tafsirs do not say that "all" people were descended from the sons of Noah (pbuh), but only the people in a certain geographical locality:

"(Sam was the father of the Arabs, Ham was the father of the Ethiopians and Yafith was the father of the Romans.)'' This was also recorded by At-Tirmidhi. What is meant here by Romans is the original Romans, i.e., the Greeks who claimed descent from Ruma (Roma) the son of Liti, the son of Yunan, the son of Yafith, the son of Nuh, peace be upon him." (Tafsir Ibn Kathir)

As you can see, none of the tafsirs mentions other civilizations like those inhabiting North and South America, China, Japan etc.  They only refer to the people in some parts of Asia, Africa and Europe.  Therefore, it cannot be concluded based on the tafsirs whether the flood was regional or global.  It could have been either.  It is a matter of faith either way because we are talking about events which occurred thousands of years ago.  I tend to lean towards the flood being regional.  If it was global, then it means that other arks could also have been made because Allah (swt) would have warned all people in the world, not just the people of Noah (pbuh), but his story was told because it is the most well-known.    

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Nazarene Nazarene wrote:

this is how i think it happened.
   13,000 years ago there was a huge ice sheet  2mi thick covered most of the northen hemisphere.  
   at this time the worlds oceans were an estemated 400 - 500 feet lower then now.(it was like that for 100,000 yrs.)
 also at this time the persin gulf was completely dried  up.(this was the valley that overflowed) .
  this ice sheet only took they say 150-200 yrs. to melt. a blink of an eye in time. as the oceans rose the water passed over the strates of hermoze(forgive spelling) thus flooding the valley( the garden of eden)

a researcher has used satilites and found the two lost river beds( of the pishon and the gihon) that flowed from iran on one side of the gulf and the other flowed from arabia on the other side. and they would have met with euphrates and tigris rivers under what is now the gulf.

also we are now finding that all around the world there are masive buildings and piramids that are so deep under water that they could have only been built when the oceans were at the low point mentioned above. ( this would be the race of man that was distroyed)
     thus cities didn't " sink ". the water rose. the russians say thay have found a huge undewater city complex in the atlantic but will not tell where it is.

so how do you relate this happening to later people?? how could they understand what took place??

well a few years ago archeologists found a tablet( dates 6000 bce)  by the old city of ure( spelling). on this tablet it told a story.

a story of a buisness man who owned a bardge and carried goods up and down the river. well all at once a deludge came  flowing down the river flooding all the area. like a great sunami it wash all who along the river away devistating the land.
    well this man and his family gained safty from this on their bardge. surived the deludge got washed into the persan gulf where they drifted for seven days or so they landed on an isiand ( bahrane they think). he returned a hero for the feat but under sumarien law he was lible for the cargo left on shore that was lost.
    unable to pay he was benished for some time till he was able to return.

the name of the man on the tablet was    NOAH.

SO AS ADAMS ( GODS FIRST PROPHET) LIFE RETELLS THE CREATION  THAT HAPPEN BEFORE HIM SO WE CAN UNDERSTAND IT .

SO THE STORY OF NOAH AND HIS EXPREAENCE IS USED TO RELATE THAT RISING OF THE OCEANS AND THE END OF THE EARLER RACE MAN .SO ALSO WE CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT TOOK PLACE.

AND ABOUT THE GARDEN OF EDEN .

IT'S BEEN WRITEN THAT THE TREE OF LIFE LIES IN THE  " ENDLESS  SEA".  AND  GROWS IN THE  "SEA OF ETERNITY" AND STANDS IN THE  MIDDLE OF THE    "ETERNAL SEA"

Salaam Alaikum, Nazarene. This is really fascinating stuff. Do you have any sources you can provide us for the following claims:

also we are now finding that all around the world there are masive buildings and piramids that are so deep under water that they could have only been built when the oceans were at the low point mentioned above. ( this would be the race of man that was distroyed)

thus cities didn't " sink ". the water rose. the russians say thay have found a huge undewater city complex in the atlantic but will not tell where it is.

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 8:15pm

bn Abbas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic