IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Conversion  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 5:11pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Walaikum assalam sis,

Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

Oh what a night!  First, I find out that I am very, very poor, and now I find out that I shouldn't have converted to Islam because when I did I had very little knowledge of the religion! 

But you had an excellent dream  See, what you were thinking as a bad night did not turn all that bad after all.

Hope your dream nullifies all the bad experiences of last night sis

Maa Salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 6:25pm

"I say we need to be troubled on their reasons why yes. I believe
a lot of times why apostates leave is because of various factors
as I mentioned one is culture the other is perhaps dialectical or
if one disproves the legitemacy of Islam. again how a person
leaves Islam is the result of the slightest doubt in their mind not
some profound argument that another conjures. "

Ok so they leave, but if they have faith in One Lord(Allah) and that was what brought them to islaam, even if they leave the group with serious conflicting thoughts because of the corruptedness of that group, then after this person has left, the dust will settle and what remains is still faith in Allah and the desire to better him or herself in His eyes. Then comes the realization that something needs to be done against these psychological "terrorist" claimers of islam who caused him or her headaches and grief. And Allah will most certainly reward the thankful.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 6:46pm
Community said:

>>>>Ok so they leave, but if they have faith in One Lord(Allah)
and that was what brought them to islaam, even if they leave
the group with serious conflicting thoughts because of the
corruptedness of that group, then after this person has left, the
dust will settle<<<<

This reminds me of the classical debate between the Ash'rites
and the Mu'tazilites in discussing what constitutes the
excommunication of a Muslim from the community. Now in
response to what you just stated i believe that the doctrine of
acceptance holds much more power than what we may
perceive. To submit in Islam not only means what we
wholeheartedly accept in its creed but the power it enables in
words and actions also follows. For one to leave Islam in a
state of apostacy, that is an equivalent to one saying "I wish not
to submit to God for the following reasons...."

Of course one can maintain the theological belief of a higher
being, sure, most humans in the world believe in a high being.
But what constitutes a "believer" in the God of abraham is one
who follows the Hanif, Abraham one who submits to God. One
who follows the current laws in which Muhammad rasullah has
brought down from the empyrean. This of course is the Islamic
way of looking at things.

For one to leave the fold is to say that he/she wishes not to
follow this principle, and to choose another religion other than
this is a step further. This is why i made this topic because so
many people involve themselves with religious institutions
going ff of what feels good and not what's rational. I left
Christianity off of philosophical and rational principles. I felt that
Islam logically made sense.

Since we are all limited we all submit in various circumstances
i.e our natural functions, environment etc. Since God being the
maker of the world to follow through with our natural function or
our natural state we should therefore entirely submit religiously
and spiritually. I didn't realize this until I got myself involved. But
like most religions you have your criticisms and you have your
times when faith lacks. But it is those times when you find
yourself to be a great Muslim when your faith in Allah lacks and
you pull yourself from that hole.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 7:13pm

Assalamu alaikum Brother Israfil,

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Ok let me respond in order here starting with Sister Ummziba:

Sister I hope you didn't get the impression that what I said implied to you because it didn't but as I look at your responses I see smiley faces so I assume you didn't take it as something towards you. You are too intelligent for me to criticize

Yes I do agree that the hearts has its own knowledge, but what I meant here is that when converting at least comprehend the tenents of the faith you are converting to. There is a difference between belief and knowing!

No, I did not think you implied me at all - it only caught my eye because it certainly could apply to me (as I didn't know a lot about Islam when I became a Muslim).  Happily for me, all worked out eventually, but it was a long and winding road from there to here! 

What I might add is that had I known more about Islam before converting, I wonder if I ever would have?  Some of the things that some Muslims consider must be absolutely done in order to be Muslim are, to put it mildly - quite silly!  Of course, I know now that a lot of those things are cultural and some are extreme interpretations of Islam.  I also realize these people are only telling their version of Islam with the best of intentions (as they, sadly, believe what they say).

Still, had someone told me back then, for example, that I would have to eat with my right hand only and use the left for "other purposes", never shake hands with a non-mahram man, not travel alone, not go to the funeral (or wedding) of non-Muslims, would have to learn to read and speak Arabic fluently, could never wear sandals on a hot day again, always spit three times when you have a bad dream... do you see what I mean? 

I have since learned better, but, had Muslims told me sincerely (as they have since then) that the above (and more) is true Islam, I never would have considered it.  They make Islam sound like a religion of do's and don't's.  And not knowing any better (back then), why wouldn't I have believed what a Muslim told me was so?  I know way better now!!!

So, knowledge of a faith is important before converting, but, be careful who or where you get that knowledge from!  Really, true faith is a gift from Allah and only by His Grace can anyone realize Islam.

Peace, ummziba

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 9:30pm

Community said:

>>>>Ok so they leave, but if they have faith in One Lord(Allah)
and that was what brought them to islaam, even if they leave
the group with serious conflicting thoughts because of the
corruptedness of that group, then after this person has left, the
dust will settle<<<<

This reminds me of the classical debate between the Ash'rites
and the Mu'tazilites in discussing what constitutes the
excommunication of a Muslim from the community. Now in
response to what you just stated i believe that the doctrine of
acceptance holds much more power than what we may
perceive. To submit in Islam not only means what we
wholeheartedly accept in its creed but the power it enables in
words and actions also follows. For one to leave Islam in a
state of apostacy, that is an equivalent to one saying "I wish not
to submit to God for the following reasons...."

Of course one can maintain the theological belief of a higher
being, sure, most humans in the world believe in a high being.
But what constitutes a "believer" in the God of abraham is one
who follows the Hanif, Abraham one who submits to God. One
who follows the current laws in which Muhammad rasullah has
brought down from the empyrean. This of course is the Islamic
way of looking at things.

For one to leave the fold is to say that he/she wishes not to
follow this principle, and to choose another religion other than
this is a step further. This is why i made this topic because so
many people involve themselves with religious institutions
going ff of what feels good and not what's rational. I left
Christianity off of philosophical and rational principles. I felt that
Islam logically made sense.

Since we are all limited we all submit in various circumstances
i.e our natural functions, environment etc. Since God being the
maker of the world to follow through with our natural function or
our natural state we should therefore entirely submit religiously
and spiritually. I didn't realize this until I got myself involved. But
like most religions you have your criticisms and you have your
times when faith lacks. But it is those times when you find
yourself to be a great Muslim when your faith in Allah lacks and
you pull yourself from that hole.

Brother you forgot to quote the very important end to my quote:"...what remains is still faith in Allah and the desire to better him or herself in His eyes. Then comes the realization that something needs to be done against these psychological "terrorist" claimers of islam who caused him or her headaches and grief. And Allah will most certainly reward the thankful."

If you are talking about people who do not hold true faith except something other then Allah attracted them to islam and then leave and give reasons why they leave then i say, why even bother talking about these ungrateful people? maybe i am getting you wrong but i got the notion you actually worried about them, brother if you did, who can guide whom Allah has kept wandering(led astray)?

Allah sent the koran down as a 1.REMINDER, 2.AS GLAD TIDINGS and 3.AS A WARNING.

1.Reminder so that some might remember that which always was inside of them(faith in Allah) but did not really recognize and so Allah reminds them with His words.

Glad tidings, in that the koran is also a way of conveying the good news from Allah to those who already have faith in Allah and act upon it(do good). That for them there is a great reward(so do not worry and have patience and help the sent one)

A warning, for people so that they may come to fear Allah, and fear for Allah, is knowledge and the first step towards more true knowledge.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 11:17pm

Wa' Alaikum Salaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh sister Ummziba!

I understand that sometimes its the inital feeling we get when we come in contact with something that makes us emotional, in the sense of us reacting to it. Islam is that. We think of its principles and how we are at one with God and that in his latest doctrine-Al Qur'an we find truth and guidence. Yes this alone is enough to be attractive. But sister as you mentioned earlier in your response if I were to tell you the details of ones duty to Allah it shouldn't make any difference whether they sounded bizarre or not. The whole concept of Islam is to submit to God's will entirely, not half way, not a quarter or a third the way but entirely this entails even the biazarre (so long that it does not hinder ones charatcer).

To Community:

I agree there is none who can guide save Allah (God) but that doesn't stop me from being concerned. I feel for those who critique Islam as Islamic eschatology states that those very people who denied God will suffer eternal separation from God...

Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 1:21am

Allah is the best Judge and the best planner and i do not feel, i just hope for His mercy.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 5:24am

Assalamu alaikum Brother Israfil,

But sister as you mentioned earlier in your response if I were to tell you the details of ones duty to Allah it shouldn't make any difference whether they sounded bizarre or not. The whole concept of Islam is to submit to God's will entirely, not half way, not a quarter or a third the way but entirely this entails even the biazarre (so long that it does not hinder ones charatcer).

Yes, but my point was that it must be actually what Allah wants (as He lays out so beautifully in the Qur'an) and not what a Muslim thinks is what Allah wants.  Many times there can be a huge disparity in the two, especially when culture or extremism get in the mix.

So, your original point of learning about a faith first is absolutely valid, as long as one's source of the learning is also valid.  Islam is a reasonable religion and very simple to follow (as revealed in the Qur'an), it is humans who get things twisted round and make it all so confusing and bizzare!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic