IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Transition from non-Islamic dress to Islamic dress  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transition from non-Islamic dress to Islamic dress

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transition from non-Islamic dress to Islamic dress
    Posted: 01 April 2011 at 8:45pm
How have other new Muslim women transitioned from wearing non-Islamic clothing to maintaining Islamic dress?

One way is of course doing it all at once. From a bikini to a khimar overnight. :)

Did anyone try a gentler and more slow and gradual approach, such as wearing a scarf around your neck for a while, as people got used to your slowly growing identity and iman?

What about hoodies? They are a common Western garb, and they are very close to being Islamic. (Depends how strict you are about whether any neck or hair is allowed to show at all.)

Hats. Many hats can be worn indoors by women, providing good head coverage. Pair that with a turtleneck sweater, and you have traditional Western-Islamic garb. :)

Any other ideas for transitional fashions and styles for Westerners becoming Muslims?
Lalli36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalli36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 10:55am
Assalamu Alaikum sis,

I am a VERY new Muslim (Alhamdulillah!)- like 2 days ago new, lol. I am kind of transitioning a bit. My family are not Muslim and my husband who is catholic has a real issue with Hijab. I did wear hijab for a bit for a project at school, and loved it. I would love to just jump in and wear it all the time but I can't. I work with my family and it will be very difficult for them. I wear hijab when I am out with friends and other sisters and just on my own but when I am out with my husband, I wear kind of a different style of head scarf that can't necessarily identify me as Muslim (he's afraid of being the target of violence or discrimination) I wrap a scarf around my forehead and tie it in the back and then wrap it into a bun at the nape of my neck. I wear looser clothing but rather than just throwing on an abaya, I wear clothes I already have, stuff that I wore before. He is fine with this. Right now at work I just wear modest clothing with no head scarf. I am going to start doing the same thing that I do with my husband here. Wear something that is not obviously Muslim until they can get used to it.

Inshallah they will accept it soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic