IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijab,how does it feel?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hijab,how does it feel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 4:00am

Allah Ta'ala says: "And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their private parts from sin and not show of their adornment except only that which is apparent, and draw their head covers over their necks and bosoms and not reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women (i.e., their sisters in Islam), or their female slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants free of physical desires, or small children who have no sense of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah altogether, O you Believers, in order that you may attain success.[An-Nur, 24:31]

honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:43pm
Salam,
I am a 'brother' but I have a wife and four daughters and I know I can be of some help in this issue.
First, the purpose of Hijab is to fulfill God's command, to please God. In doing so we may displease some people who lack the understanding of its purpose.
Second, how it is defind. What is to be covered in order to be Islamic.
I see some ladies covering their head but wear tight pants and short shirts that reveal the sensitive front and back contours.
I come to understand that the purpose to cover is simply not to reveal what would be sexually inviting to the other sex. So wearing cloths that instead of revealing the body shape cover it. God made woman beautiful and gave her body more attraction and thus it might take more for her to not reveal that attraction and beauty that is only for her spous to enjoy.
Here in the West, the reaction toward somone in symbolic Islamic scraf or hijab has changed after 9/11. I remember how it was before, but now this change of attitude has caused many Muslim women to take off their scarf/hijab. My wife, who after becoming Muslim was considering to wear scraf, and sometimes wear it in public also decided not to wear it. She and our dauhgter dress very modest with long full arm shirts and full length pants or skirts with the intention to not be revealing what Allah does not want them to. One of our daughters the 2nd one, who decided when she was little that she will start to wear scarf when she turns ten. She proved that what she said was real, she has been wearing scarf since then. And she makes no exceptions, I could not believe myself that she was that serious. We fully support her, and admire her courage. She is very girly girl, love pink and very senstive but rock solid will, she does not change once she decides.  My older daughter says: " I wish I could be as courageous"
Public response is sometimes an issue since it affects all of us. I remember before, when we use to go out. Dressing moderately but girls without scarfs, without getting noticed. Now because one with scarf is enough to get noticed right away and prople's reaction, sometimes shows in their being nervous, or simply just a strange look, as if we just landed from Mars is sometimes a concern but I guess the best way is to ignore it. If things were as before 9/11, I would say a lot more Muslim women would wear hijab.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 26 May 2011 at 3:49pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:09am
Hello Serendipity!

I chose to wear the Hijab when I was 14, my decision alone. And I've been wearing it for 10years now alhamdulilah. We are three sisters, and uptil now I was the only Sister wearing it... but just a month ago my younger sister took it up too. Alhamdulilah me, my Sister and my mom wear it of our own choice. My sister made the decision on her own too, out of the blue after attending an Islamic seminar. Our parents have never enforced any sort of dress code on us, but as Muslims we have always dressed modestly even when not wearing Hijab. Our parents never made us feel as if it was something we were 'supposed' to do. I think that helped a lot.

I personally didn't find it hard to take up Hijab, at the time I was reading about Islam and feeling 'spiritually moved'. I think it was the best decision! Surprisingly any negative comments I got only strengthened my decision. I was personally very happy with Hijab - but a few people (some relatives) would say you're too young, it'll make you look older, you have a lot of time, guys won't like you (lol!). But it does make you feel special, you know you are breaking the social mould.

Naturally there will be a few occasions when you may think oh that hairstyle would look cool at a wedding or party, or that slim-fitting/sleeveless would look so pretty...  ofcourse Islam doesn't prohibit us from any of that, we are not supposed to flaunt our body to the public. At home within our blood relatives we can wear whatever we like.

I also love how the Hijab makes you feel special, protected and modest. Most of the time I feel that men give me the respect I deserve and try not overstep their boundaries. Wearing the Hijab also helps put things into perspective. Covering up you realize you don't need to primp and preen for strangers or the society. My body and what I look like is my concern. Society really pressures women into 'looking good' all the time and displaying themselves for attention. The value/popularity of a women nowadays is directly proportionate to her dressing, beauty and appearance. This should not be so! I mean I was just on Yahoo News right now and they were covering the Obama visit to Europe... there was a special piece on Michelle Obama and how she dressed and looked throughout the visit! Michelle is an intelligent, educated woman! Yet the only news about her was the dresses she wore and how she looked!!!

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:13am
Oh and contrary to popular belief it doesn't feel 'hot' or uncomfortable. You get so used to it that you don't even notice. Of course as a revert or someone who takes up the Hijab much later, they may feel uncomfortable at first. But it depends on what materials, length and colors u use. You can adapt it to your climate, weather, culture...
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
seeja View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:21am

Allah Almighty says: "O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies." (Al-Ahzab:59)" 

seeja View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:28am

Bismillahir-RaHmanir-RaHeem. 

While considering the proper dress for a Muslima one should strictly follow the below points

1- It must cover the whole body. 

2- It must not be tight or transparent. 

3- It must not delineate the parts of the body, especially those parts that are sexually attractive. 

4- It must not be a dress that is usually worn by men. 

seeja View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Hello Serendipity!

I chose to wear the Hijab when I was 14, my decision alone. And I've been wearing it for 10years now alhamdulilah. We are three sisters, and uptil now I was the only Sister wearing it... but just a month ago my younger sister took it up too. Alhamdulilah me, my Sister and my mom wear it of our own choice. My sister made the decision on her own too, out of the blue after attending an Islamic seminar. Our parents have never enforced any sort of dress code on us, but as Muslims we have always dressed modestly even when not wearing Hijab. Our parents never made us feel as if it was something we were 'supposed' to do. I think that helped a lot.

I personally didn't find it hard to take up Hijab, at the time I was reading about Islam and feeling 'spiritually moved'. I think it was the best decision! Surprisingly any negative comments I got only strengthened my decision. I was personally very happy with Hijab - but a few people (some relatives) would say you're too young, it'll make you look older, you have a lot of time, guys won't like you (lol!). But it does make you feel special, you know you are breaking the social mould.

Naturally there will be a few occasions when you may think oh that hairstyle would look cool at a wedding or party, or that slim-fitting/sleeveless would look so pretty...  ofcourse Islam doesn't prohibit us from any of that, we are not supposed to flaunt our body to the public. At home within our blood relatives we can wear whatever we like.

I also love how the Hijab makes you feel special, protected and modest.
Most of the time I feel that men give me the respect I deserve and try not overstep their boundaries. Wearing the Hijab also helps put things into perspective. Covering up you realize you don't need to primp and preen for strangers or the society. My body and what I look like is my concern. Society really pressures women into 'looking good' all the time and displaying themselves for attention. The value/popularity of a women nowadays is directly proportionate to her dressing, beauty and appearance. This should not be so! I mean I was just on Yahoo News right now and they were covering the Obama visit to Europe... there was a special piece on Michelle Obama and how she dressed and looked throughout the visit! Michelle is an intelligent, educated woman! Yet the only news about her was the dresses she wore and how she looked!!!

"Jazakullah."

You are absolutely correct. In our society woman always dressed modestly. But now a day�s more and more women prefer to wear Hijab (some even covering the faces also) which gives them more respect from others than before when they are wearing other dress.

For the working women who are mingling with opposite sex Hijab is the proper dress as this covers their entire body.

Edited by seeja - 27 May 2011 at 11:44am
Islam (Total Surrender, Submission, Obedience, Sincerity and Peace with Allah) is for all people, in all places and in all times
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 3:09pm
Jazakallah,
may Allah give us all 'tufeek' to fulfill our obligations to Him.
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic