IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijab,how does it feel?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hijab,how does it feel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
seeja View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hijab,how does it feel?
    Posted: 27 March 2012 at 10:40pm

Salam sister

Congrats for finding the beauty of �hijab�. Keep going ahead. Surely Hijab will give you pleasure in this world, freedom and so many other things and rewards are waiting you from the almighty. Be strong with wearing the Hijab and make it your dress for all the occasions. Meantime you and your husband can start understanding the great religion Islam. Like Hijaab you will welcome this belief also once you come across its taste. Information�s are available all over the internet. I am sure both you will like this great religion of almighty god. Be in touch���

Islam (Total Surrender, Submission, Obedience, Sincerity and Peace with Allah) is for all people, in all places and in all times
Lalli36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalli36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 10:00am
Hello!

I am also a non-Muslim who has chosen to wear hijab for 1 month and report my findings for my school as a social experiment. My month of wearing hijab has been going on for several months now since I haven't worn it every day, and also because I just don't want to take it off when I do wear it!

I have always been fascinated with hijab. It's beautiful, modest and very very practical. Although my catholic husband does not approve of my wearing it for fear of discrimination (something he is subject to anyway as he is a foreigner) he really can't argue with the fact that I am covering myself up. Catholics believe in modesty too- in fact so does almost every religion.

I was just a little bit uncomfortable at first, wondering what people would think of me. I did face a few negative reactions, but there have been so many positive ones! In line at the supermarket, a Muslim woman spoke to me in her language. When I indicated that I didn't understand, we started conversing about my reason for trying the hijab. She was so supportive and ended the conversation with a "you go girl!" I've also had incredible support from the wonderful community on this board.

In short, wearing hijab feels wonderful. I don't feel the shame of incurring comments from men, something that I've suffered with internally for some time. Of course men must have control of themselves and their thoughts and are responsible for them, but knowing that I was just following the skimpy modern fashions made me feel responsible to a degree as well. That's just me though =)

I also feel like I am more confident and conscious of my actions. As I said, I am not Muslim, but I do not want to misrepresent the community by doing something inappropriate while in hijab. It's something I take very seriously.

I could go on and on. I just love it.

Lalli
lorry View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2011 at 10:37am
when i said i need a muslim sister to help me with jobs i need to do i am disabled and need help with washing and dressing due to limited use off arms and legs as a muslim woman this is very hard as i know i am not ment to show my body to anyone else it also means i need help with removing body hair o it is embarrassing and hard for me  i do have a nurse she is very nice was my friend before my nurse but again it doe not feel right to ask her to help with more personal tasks like shaving  i hope this clears up that point
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2011 at 4:30pm
Salaams Sister,

That is very difficult. And remember intentions are very important in Islam. A situation may prevent us from fulfilling a duty. And Allah knows your thoughts. 

For many reverts we do the changes "in pieces." Like having longer pants and long-sleeve shirts. Many Muslims wear pants and long-sleeves. Do it very casually and over time he may not notice. 

Why does a Muslim sister need to help you with a job? Are you a British citizen?  Can't you apply for jobs on your own? I am confused as to why you need a Muslim sister to do this for you?

Sadly many women are dependent financially upon men / or someone else, and thus they cannot always do what they would like or is best for themselves.

Keep praying to Allah and Allah knows your heart and intentions sister.

Hayfa

Edited by Hayfa - 27 August 2011 at 4:30pm
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
lorry View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 8:30pm
ConfusedConfusedAngryAngry i have been a muslim for a year now bu do not feel like a real muslim as i am not allowed to cover as i should i am married  have been 25 yrs in october ] my husband is not muslim we do not have a marraige anymore do not share same bathroom or bedroom he will not let me out house if i wear abay or long dress or cover hair . i wish i was brave and knew what to o i thought i wanted a divorce but have been with him so long i am scared also have health problems and have anurse who has to help me wash and dress hate tis too as its not right id like to live a lone andd have a muslim sister help me with the jobs i need bit how would i do that ????

sorry gone off track i want to wear one but scared and not allowed if you can do it and want to please do it ConfusedEmbarrassed
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 3:09pm
Jazakallah,
may Allah give us all 'tufeek' to fulfill our obligations to Him.
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

seeja View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Hello Serendipity!

I chose to wear the Hijab when I was 14, my decision alone. And I've been wearing it for 10years now alhamdulilah. We are three sisters, and uptil now I was the only Sister wearing it... but just a month ago my younger sister took it up too. Alhamdulilah me, my Sister and my mom wear it of our own choice. My sister made the decision on her own too, out of the blue after attending an Islamic seminar. Our parents have never enforced any sort of dress code on us, but as Muslims we have always dressed modestly even when not wearing Hijab. Our parents never made us feel as if it was something we were 'supposed' to do. I think that helped a lot.

I personally didn't find it hard to take up Hijab, at the time I was reading about Islam and feeling 'spiritually moved'. I think it was the best decision! Surprisingly any negative comments I got only strengthened my decision. I was personally very happy with Hijab - but a few people (some relatives) would say you're too young, it'll make you look older, you have a lot of time, guys won't like you (lol!). But it does make you feel special, you know you are breaking the social mould.

Naturally there will be a few occasions when you may think oh that hairstyle would look cool at a wedding or party, or that slim-fitting/sleeveless would look so pretty...  ofcourse Islam doesn't prohibit us from any of that, we are not supposed to flaunt our body to the public. At home within our blood relatives we can wear whatever we like.

I also love how the Hijab makes you feel special, protected and modest.
Most of the time I feel that men give me the respect I deserve and try not overstep their boundaries. Wearing the Hijab also helps put things into perspective. Covering up you realize you don't need to primp and preen for strangers or the society. My body and what I look like is my concern. Society really pressures women into 'looking good' all the time and displaying themselves for attention. The value/popularity of a women nowadays is directly proportionate to her dressing, beauty and appearance. This should not be so! I mean I was just on Yahoo News right now and they were covering the Obama visit to Europe... there was a special piece on Michelle Obama and how she dressed and looked throughout the visit! Michelle is an intelligent, educated woman! Yet the only news about her was the dresses she wore and how she looked!!!

"Jazakullah."

You are absolutely correct. In our society woman always dressed modestly. But now a day�s more and more women prefer to wear Hijab (some even covering the faces also) which gives them more respect from others than before when they are wearing other dress.

For the working women who are mingling with opposite sex Hijab is the proper dress as this covers their entire body.

Edited by seeja - 27 May 2011 at 11:44am
Islam (Total Surrender, Submission, Obedience, Sincerity and Peace with Allah) is for all people, in all places and in all times
seeja View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:28am

Bismillahir-RaHmanir-RaHeem. 

While considering the proper dress for a Muslima one should strictly follow the below points

1- It must cover the whole body. 

2- It must not be tight or transparent. 

3- It must not delineate the parts of the body, especially those parts that are sexually attractive. 

4- It must not be a dress that is usually worn by men. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic