IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Have you ever?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have you ever?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimbychoice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you ever?
    Posted: 12 August 2005 at 9:04am

Have You Ever?

Bismillah Ir-Rahmaan Ir-Raheem

I'm curious - I know we all try to listen to lectures, read books and articles, surf the internet in search of knowledge - in search of how to be a better Muslim. I've done all of that - but somehow, at times, it seems as though I am unchanged. We hear words of wisdom and shake our heads in acknowledgement - but how many of us actually walk away and change the way we are and the way in which we do things?

I have a 'homework' assignment for all of us - please at least try it out. Find a lecture on a topic that is important to you - perhaps it will be 'how to choose the right friends' or how to stop 'the dangers of the tongue' or perhaps 'how to be a better wife'. It doesn't really matter what lecture, article, book, etc. that you use - what matters is what you do with it. After you have really listened to its message, take the time - sit down and really ask yourself - how can I apply this information to my life. If it is on the topic of 'backbiting' - what things can you do to change this bad habit, should you change the people you spend your time with? Should you make dua before you speak? What other things can you do? Then . . . apply it to your life.

What I want us to do is to really listen . . . to really think . . . information and wisdom that is passed on to us is useless if we don't apply it. It's not enough to be able to tell someone else, 'yeah, I heard that on a lecture' - Islam is about applying this knowledge to our lives and it's about time we really looked at ourselves and asked if we are doing all we can to be the people we need to be. The best way to make dawah in this life is by action - by being a good example.

Have you done your part today?

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 5:23am

Bismillah,

If we take all the things we learn and are able to apply them, we will build a great and beautiful structure that is Muslim Faith that will stand strong against all obstacles.

For myself, I am constantly working on patience and self-control.  New lessons are beyond me, however, I consider new ideas as I can.  The discussion of events that occur in the world here with other Muslims invigorates my faith in Allah, SWT, and other Muslims and people of other faiths as well. 

As my life circumstances changes, so do my perspectives on ideas that I held previously.  But the need for patience and fortitude will always exist!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 6:10am
Reading is not enough the key is acting then the blessing comes...
Allah 1 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allah 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2005 at 8:52pm
Believe it or not my mother named me Allah. My pop left before I was born. he was a Muslim but y parents were just dating so I came along. I am 15 and am in hi skool. I am not really a Muslim - fact is I go no religion. so I just dropped by to see if I could fing a couple of friends to keep in touch by email .
firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2005 at 10:29pm
hi... i hope i don't sound mean, i'm a bit heavy hearted to read your name is Allah. coz Allah is God, and muslims cannot prescribe anything else as Allah, so this is a bit... strange... but i know it's not your fault, don't feel bad...

can ppl call you Al, instead? 
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2005 at 7:49pm

Bismillah,

There is a name very close to Allah, SWT,  in sound, but different in meaning.  I don't know the meaning, but people who don't speak Arabic would pronounce them almost the same.  'Ala'  is a guys name.  It is ayn, lam, aleph, hamza in the Arabic letters.  This is my transliteration.

We'd be glad to have discussions with you here in the discussion forum, 'Ala'.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic