IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Greeting a Muslimah?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greeting a Muslimah?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greeting a Muslimah?
    Posted: 04 March 2011 at 5:25pm
As-Salamu 'Alaykum -

Today I went grocery shopping, and while I was in the store I turned around to see a Muslim sister walking past- the hijab was what tipped me off. As I was wearing my kufi, I'm sure she must have seen me as well.

Now, as soon as I saw her I instinctively greeted her with "As-Salamu 'Alaykum" as I do with the sisters I know at my masjid. She turned to me with that deer-in-the-headlights look and returned my greeting and kept walking.

Now as I thought about her reaction it occurred to me that one of four things might have happened:

A) She was simply startled;

B) She was surprised that a stranger had a kind word for her;

C) I committed a breach of etiquette by speaking to her without her having a male companion present; or

D) All the above.

Being from the South, I'm used to greeting people even when I've never seen them before, but since becoming a Muslim I'm still learning the ropes about proper etiquette- did I make an error in speaking first, or speaking at all?
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2011 at 7:33pm
"........and returned my greeting and kept walking."

No harm, no foul.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic