IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Pillars of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prayer Rug Etiquette?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prayer Rug Etiquette?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prayer Rug Etiquette?
    Posted: 24 February 2011 at 7:18pm
Having been a Muslim for only a short time (since September of last year) I've run across a number of questions on odd subjects- one of these being the use of prayer rugs (sajajid).

Is there any 'standard way' of positioning oneself when using a prayer rug? Should one stand completely on the rug itself, or just on the fringe, allowing enough room to prostrate and sit? Or should one stand completely off the rug, touching it only when kneeling or sitting? If one is using a prayer rug to create a 'clean space' to pray, does one take the shoes off and pray in bare feet or socks and not step off of it at all during the prayers? Or does it make any difference at all in any of these things?

I have been given two prayer rugs as gifts, and to date when I have used them I have to stand on the fringe to allow room for prostration- should I be looking for a larger size to allow me to be on it completely? Or is it an issue that I should even be concerned with? I know the rugs are simply a tool to aid in prayers, and I'm certainly not thinking they are a 'required piece of equipment' for offering prayers. I just want to use it correctly- if there is such a way- if I'm going to use it at all.

Things like this I know are common everyday knowledge to those born into a Muslim household, but for us newcomers it's all new and unexplored territory. Thank you in advance for your helpful comments ~
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 11:54pm
Salam,

Welcome to the forum and also welcome to Islam.
Like you said that prayer rug is just a tool to help you have cleaner place when you pray special when you bow down and sit. So Islamically there is no specific etiquette in using prayer rug, may be some culture have though. So if the prayer rug big (long enough) you can stand on the prayer rug, if the prayer rug is small (short) you can stand behind prayer rug.

Regarding prayer wearing shoe there is an Islamic ruling on it. If you've already performed wudhu (ablution) perfectly including washing your foot (let say at home), then you go to work and then somehow your wudhu is invalid. So when you perform wudhu, you don't have to take your shoes off and wash your foot, it's enough you swipe your shoes. However if you do so when you pray you have to wear the shoes. (Some scholar say that you can swipe the shock when you perform wudhu, so you can pray with the shock).

Edited by semar - 24 February 2011 at 11:56pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
quranreading View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quranreading Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 12:30am

As-Salamu `alaykum.

Payer rug should be clean it is compulsory to perform Namaz in a place which is clean from dirt or �Najasat� and it is not compulsory that you can only perform Namaz on prayer rug, you can use a clean cloth to perform Namaz.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic