IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - wearing hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wearing hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wearing hijab
    Posted: 24 February 2011 at 11:04am

How many of you wear a hijab, but then wear make up. From whati gather the whole point of hijab is to not draw attention to yourself. When i see a white girl in a hijab piled with make up i have to wonder what her motives for doing it are

Centrino View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centrino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 3:11pm

you've got a point. over here in the middle east, I see loads of arabian women wearing an abaya and a hijab yet they cake their face with makeup. also I've seen some who wear abayas which show their jeans when they walk.

nurulhuda View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurulhuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 8:50pm
I believe it depends on your intention.

Some women have acne problems which could make them look less presentable so they feel that make-up helps them in that aspect, especially if their jobs require them to interact with people on a daily basis. For example, retail assistants, receptionists, etc.

Some women have B.O. problems which could require them to apply slightly more fragrance to mask the odour and nobody likes being around unpleasant smells.

I think women naturally like to accessorise themselves. I'm a woman and I do have such tendencies once in a while but I always remind myself that I should use make-up, fragrance, or other vanities in just the amount I need. Islam teaches us moderation anyway.

We should always think positive in order to avoid falsely accusing someone of being exceptionally vain. Fitnah is a terrible thing indeed. 
Hidden_Pearl View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hidden_Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 10:25pm
Asalaamu aleikum-

Do you think only "white" girls are guilty of this? On the contrary- as any perusal of the tutorial videos on the internet for so-called "Arabic" make-up will attest. If you've ever watched Arab satellite tv you will have seen female presenters coated in dramatic make-up - and I don't mean a bit of concealer to cover imperfections and acne- I'm talking eye shadow in five glow-in-the-dark colours , false lashes and eye-liner, obvious lip pencil and lip gloss, and foundation so thick and so much lighter than their natural complexion that they appear to be wearing a mask.
Yes, it defeats the objective of hayaa and modesty, that's one thing- but you can't possibly do your wudu in all that either, can you?
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 7:51am
I agree with Nurulhuda about being positive & encouraging to our sisters. :)

May Allah help us Muslim Women to observe Hijab the way Allah intended us to!

Edited by Chrysalis - 28 February 2011 at 7:52am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Centrino View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centrino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 3:25pm
now that u mention it I do agree with nurulhuda but I'm actually talking about those who unnecessarily wear excess makeup just to attract people's attention. I dont intend to backbite at all, and we aren't talking about one specific person, we'respeaking of a majority of the people. but this is how the world is nowadays and we can't do much to change their ways. only help those we can.Smile
Hidden_Pearl View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hidden_Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 7:17pm
I agree with Centrino. It's not backbiting to discuss a general phenomena - only when it's personal, aimed at a particular individual and spiteful gossip. 
nurulhuda View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurulhuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 8:36pm
I believe those make-up tutorial videos are meant for women only, if that is their intention, so women can doll up for their family at home.

I've studied a little bit about television production. The cameras can pick up even the tiniest of details, especially HD cameras, so hopefully they're putting on many layers of foundation/powder to achieve a "camera-ready" look. Sometimes, it's the TV station that demands them to look their best so TV audiences will be more attentive to them. It's that whole TV psychology thing. (I don't really know how to explain it but you might get what I meant... Haha!)

However, if we feel strongly that our sisters are too excessive in their ways....

then it has become a duty for us to remind our sisters of the purpose of Hijab. However, say it in the nicest and gentlest way so we won't hurt their feelings and they will be more accepting of our advice. &:)

Allah knows best.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic