IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - wearing hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wearing hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hidden_Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2011 at 1:43pm
Well...  you've brought up a lot of interesting and pertinent points.
I agree that in many ways the form of Islamic dress that we adopt is culturally specific. For example, it was de riguer in London UK, where I lived for many years, to wear a black, embellished Gulf Style Abaya. It was like an Islamic uniform for reverts, Somalis, Indo-Pakistanis, Arabs alike. You did occasionally see a coloured abaya, but usually on older women or in Summer. I came to love them because when wearing one you are ready for anything- Salat, the masjid, all occasions really. You never have to worry if anything is showing, or too short, or see-through, or if anything rides up when you do Salat. And they are so graceful and beautiful, mashallah- they really make you feel like something special... which, of course, as muslimas we are!
Western-style clothing can be Islamically appropriate, true, but it's harder to make it work in my estimation. It's often difficult to find things loose enough, long enough, opaque enough- and finding long sleeves in Summer and maxi skirts or dresses in Winter- forget it! Often you end up doing a lot of layering, as well, and that ends up being too hot and uncomfortable. And you have to worry about matching everything all the time!
But now I live here in Los Angeles I notice that the muslimas don't wear those black Gulf Style abayas that were so prevalent in London. They tend to wear Western style clothing mostly- no black!- and some wear shalwar kamees, depending on their ethnicity. The first time I attended Jum'aa here I stuck out like a sore thumb in my black abaya! Maybe they are afraid of looking too foreign, too "Arab" , of calling attention to the fact that they're muslims in a post 9/11 America- I don't know.
As for jewellry, I understand about rings and bracelets- as that falls under the category of displaying "that which is apparent". But some muslimas wear huge beaded necklaces outside their clothing, which seems to me a different matter. And also I think we have to be careful of wearing anything that clanks and clacks or jingles- and bracelets and bangles can be every noisy! I prayed behind an Indian sister at the masjid that was wearing a jingly ankle bracelet that was very distracting- and I know that we are commanded not to wear such things that make noise when we stomp our feet.
And lastly, no there is nothing wrong with a pink hijab- it just depends on what is the custom where you live or the occasion . Once I wore a pretty, sparkly pink scarf with my abaya to a sister's Halaqa at a masjid. I was new and had never been there before. Well, I felt very silly and out of place when I discovered that the sisters there were mostly Salafis clothed in sober tones of black, brown and gray with no decoration or embellishment.Shocked And in Saudi Arabia, for example, black for women is the norm and white for men- but personally I love white and coloured hijab.
There's a lot to talk about on this subject- maybe it would be an idea to start a thread specifically on this subject? What do you think?
Centrino View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centrino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2011 at 4:05pm
wow. you guys spoke a lot! i think everyone's got a point. so, what shall I say, I agree with all of ya!Smile
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2011 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Hidden_Pearl Hidden_Pearl wrote:

I came to love them because when wearing one you are ready for anything- Salat, the masjid, all occasions really. You never have to worry if anything is showing, or too short, or see-through, or if anything rides up when you do Salat. And they are so graceful and beautiful, mashallah- they really make you feel like something special... which, of course, as muslimas we are!

I agree Sis. I also find Abaya's very cool. Not only to they look smart, but they are very practical and cover everything. You don't have to spend those extra 10minutes making sure everything is covered up and in order. And some come with such handy pockets and zippers that you won't even need a handbag! I find that Iranians come up with very interesting designs. Too bad their sizes aren't very female friendly. If you know somebody going to Iran, ask them to bring you scarves or an abaya! Very reasonably priced too.

Quote Western-style clothing can be Islamically appropriate, true, but it's harder to make it work in my estimation. It's often difficult to find things loose enough, long enough, opaque enough- and finding long sleeves in Summer and maxi skirts or dresses in Winter- forget it! Often you end up doing a lot of layering, as well, and that ends up being too hot and uncomfortable. And you have to worry about matching everything all the time!

I know Sisters who love mixing & matching clothes from your average retail store. It can become like a personal challenge, lol... that I'm gonna find a way to Islamify that dress no matter what! See if I can't! Clothing is an important way one expresses their creativity and 'identity'. And for some, an Abaya doesn't fulfill that.

There are times when Abaya's may not be the right choice. For example if you are going hiking, or to an amusement park, where they don't allow long flowy dresses in case they snag and cause security risks. In Malaysia, they have 'No Abaya' signs on many rides because of that... and its a predominantly muslim country with lots of Arab tourists and Scarf-wearing women. (I don't know why, they just do!).

Also, I think it is important that as Muslims we embrace certain aspects of our 'culture' such as our ethnic dress code. If all Muslim women all over the world wore arab-styled Abayas, that would be slightly boring wouldn't it? An American Muslimah should be able to feel just as muslim in her denim jeans as a Bangladeshi Muslimah in a saari. They can adapt & tweak to make sure Islamic modesty is accounted for.... I think Mother Teresa for example, always looked very modest in a Saari, covering her head... and many Pakistani women seem to think Saari = immodest dress. It depends on how you wear it!

Quote And also I think we have to be careful of wearing anything that clanks and clacks or jingles- and bracelets and bangles can be every noisy! I prayed behind an Indian sister at the masjid that was wearing a jingly ankle bracelet that was very distracting- and I know that we are commanded not to wear such things that make noise when we stomp our feet.

True, jangly/clangy things are a big no-no... but only in front of non-mahram men. In a female gathering or amongst relatives that are related to you... you can be as jingle-jangly as you like. (Just wanted to put this out there for non-muslims).

Quote Well, I felt very silly and out of place when I discovered that the sisters there were mostly Salafis clothed in sober tones of black, brown and gray with no decoration or embellishment.Shocked

I know how you feel! In Pakistan, women go to the mosque wearing their everyday clothes i.e. shalwar kameez, but in Malaysia, women don a white skirt and big scarf before they pray, even if their clothes are modest. So in Malaysia I too felt like an eye-sore amongst a sea of white! I considered getting one of those white uniforms, but then decided that I shouldn't be changing appearance to 'fit in' - as long as my clothes were appropriate for the  mosque. And the cool thing, none of the sisters will say anything and force you to conform.. whereas in Pakistan I'm afraid women are too nosy and judgmental about others in the mosque.

There's a lot to talk about on this subject- maybe it would be an idea to start a thread specifically on this subject? What do you think?

I think that's a good idea! Why don't you start a thread Sis? Bismillah!

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
haniyyya View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haniyyya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2011 at 3:04am
Allah the Exalted says in Surat an-Noor, ayah 31:
And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their private parts and not show of their adornment except only that which is apparent, and draw their veils over their (necks and) bosoms and not reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male servants who lack vigor, or small children who have no knowledge of women's private parts. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn you all to Allah in repentance, O believers, that you may be successful.
seeja View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:57am
"Muslim woman have to wear clothes that will conceal the body and her `awrah (parts of the body which should not exposed in front of others); she must not wear transparent or see-through clothes or tight clothes that show the shape of the body. Pants or trousers fall into the later category; so for this reason it is not permissible for women to wear pants/jeans, unless she wears over them a wide or loose shirt. 
Islam (Total Surrender, Submission, Obedience, Sincerity and Peace with Allah) is for all people, in all places and in all times
ariefa View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ariefa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2016 at 10:30am

Yes, Your point is right. First of all we shouldn't wear fit clothes, Nowadays, I mostly see the girls who wear fit clothes.
They should wear these types of abaya, which looks good at them. and Modesty is everything for a girl. So they shouldn't leave that.
I see a lot of ideas from this site http://www.hijabiworld.com/. and I see a lot of tutorials about dressing, how to cover chest and all that which is necessary. You will get ideas also. I also use wikihow.com, There is a post in wiki how which tells you how to wear scarves or hijab and cover your chest properly. There are a lot more. When you start researching about how to wear proper clothes in islamic way. you will get lots of ideas.

Edited by ariefa - 02 August 2016 at 10:48am
iyiyiy View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iyiyiy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 1:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic