IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - wearing hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wearing hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 4:25am
Dont get me wrong i wear make up, but i have thought what i will do wen i start wearing hijab. Im not saying this for sympathy at all but the reason i wear make up is because i am not naturally pretty at all in fact as a child somebody called me the ugliest girl in the world, s you can get an idea of how unpretty i am. So because of this the reason i wear make up is not so much to attract attention it is so that i look normal and not stand out for my flaws, ... but if i was blessedwith natural beauty i would love to go bare faced but i just dnt see that as an option
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Hidden_Pearl Hidden_Pearl wrote:

Asalaamu aleikum-

Do you think only "white" girls are guilty of this?

Salaam Hidden_Pearl!

Funny you said this, cz I was also going to say something about that. But then I re-read and thought maybe the sister was referring to "white" as in white with foundation! lol

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
modestgrrl View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modestgrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 8:51am
as salam alaikum,

Comments like this have the potential to divide the ummah. Certainly women of all backgrounds make the mistake of wearing hijab and makeup, or hijab and tight clothing, or other things with hijab that undermine the very point of wearing hijab. There's no reason to blame just white women for this.

I have seen desis, black women, Arabs, Asians, and even a Bosnian woman break this rule -- at the masjid no less! So it's not just a white problem.

That being said, if I see a revert who makes this mistake I remember my own progression in hijab. At first I just wore long sleeves and pants with hijab, because I was new to Islam and I didn't know any better. I also wore eyeliner. Over time, some supportive sisters gently corrected me and showed me the correct ways (alhamdulillah).

So please, if you see a white sister -- or any sister -- wearing her hijab incorrectly, don't make a face at her or not talk to her. Get to know her. Ask her about her deen. Be supportive. You don't know what kind of fitnahs she's going through. Help her through them. Hold her hand and show her the right ways. And if she doesn't make it to your standard of hijab but she improves, say alhamdulillah and keep trying.
Centrino View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centrino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 10:52am
agreed. but I was talking about the women in the malls and in public not on TV.
nurulhuda View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurulhuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 4:03pm
I was replying to Hidden_Pearl's post. Tongue

Anyway, as to your concern about those in public when it's not practical to go around reminding many people... I think there is a reason for this:

This world exists in a duality; in order for us to know what the good is, we have to know what the bad is. The public space offers us many reflections of society so we can look into ourselves as Muslims. We might have unknowingly went against Allah's wishes. There is always a reason for everything so there must be a reason why we see negative portraits as reminders. We might have done the same or we might do the same in the future. Same thing as seeing positive portraits. We might not have been doing what we should do or we should strive to do better than we've been doing. Allah knows best.

Follow the good and avoid the bad as ordained by Allah.

And to anyone who thought that I've thought this discussion was leaning to back-biting, I wasn't either but I'm just being cautious because it's easy to lean towards that. First we talk about the general and then slowly it leads to specific individuals and before we know it we're talking about an individual. It's in our nature. We get carried away sometimes. We're only human...

but let's be cautious human beings. Lol. LOL
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 5:35am
Originally posted by nurulhuda nurulhuda wrote:

I was replying to Hidden_Pearl's post. Tongue

Anyway, as to your concern about those in public when it's not practical to go around reminding many people... I think there is a reason for this:

This world exists in a duality; in order for us to know what the good is, we have to know what the bad is. The public space offers us many reflections of society so we can look into ourselves as Muslims. We might have unknowingly went against Allah's wishes. There is always a reason for everything so there must be a reason why we see negative portraits as reminders. We might have done the same or we might do the same in the future. Same thing as seeing positive portraits. We might not have been doing what we should do or we should strive to do better than we've been doing. Allah knows best.

Follow the good and avoid the bad as ordained by Allah.

And to anyone who thought that I've thought this discussion was leaning to back-biting, I wasn't either but I'm just being cautious because it's easy to lean towards that. First we talk about the general and then slowly it leads to specific individuals and before we know it we're talking about an individual. It's in our nature. We get carried away sometimes. We're only human...

but let's be cautious human beings. Lol. LOL

Thumbs%20Up

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hidden_Pearl View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hidden_Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 11:24am
Asalaamu aleikum everyone!

I wonder if some muslimas, particularly when they start wearing hijab full-time, compensate for an inability to display hair, jewellry, fashion, etc. by "decorating their faces? In other words, if all anyone can see of you anymore is your face, then that becomes your display. And if you're not so confident about your face anyway, then you might feel oddly exposed- if you see what I mean.
Fashion, hairstyles, accessories, etc. do a lot to distract from things like bad skin, a big nose, not-so-regular features, but when you wear hijab suddenly all the focus is on your supposedly imperfect face! Maybe the make-up is an attempt to soothe this anxiety?
Of course, some sisters do more than decorate their faces- using hijab as a fashion accessory in itself, wearing jewllery outside their abayas,etc. -making themselves into fashion-forward sparkly rainbowsLOL Well, you know what I mean. They insist that just because you're a muslima doesn't mean you have to be drab and dress in a shapeless sack. I wonder what the rest of you think of that...?
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2011 at 5:41am
Originally posted by Hidden_Pearl Hidden_Pearl wrote:

Asalaamu aleikum everyone!

They insist that just because you're a muslima doesn't mean you have to be drab and dress in a shapeless sack. I wonder what the rest of you think of that...?

Wa'alaikum salaam Sis,

I agree with the view that just because you're a muslima doesn't mean you have to be drab... (though everyone may have a different criteria for drab!).

And to what extent is jewelery & make-up "un-islamic" for a Muslimah? If you are covered up, the only jewelery that is going to be visible are rings & bracelets... There is nothing wrong with that... Sahabia would wear rings. I believe a hadith says that Muslimahs should adorn to an extent that makes them appear feminine, without being ostentatious (Members: A little help here with the hadith quotation would be welcome!). Adorning hands with Henna for example was a very common practice during our Prophet's time. Kohl was also used during Prophet Muhammad's time. (saw).

Ofcourse it depends on how you interpret or practice Hijab. Some women for example wear gloves & Niqab... for them it would be a big no-no. But the women who don't believe that covering hands/face is required... they would feel fine with it.

Hijab is supposed to prevent 'sexuality' from interfering in public life. Is a Muslimah supposed to go out of her way to look unattractive & ugly? I don't think so. But she SHOULD cover her 'aurah' that has sexual appeal.

As for shapeless sack...  The clothes should not reveal the contours of the body. But does that mean it has to be sack-like? For example some people think that Trousers/Pants are unislamic because they are 'un-sacklike'. I think as long as your top/shirt/kurta covers your curves... you can wear anything. I don't believe that Abayas are a Muslima's uniform. If a muslimah likes an Abaya, finds it practical, subhanAllah! But does that mean that only Abayas fulfill the purpose? Not necessarily.

Colors for example. Is there something wrong with a pink garment? A pink Hijab? Or is 'black' the only Islamic color? Is there something 'haraam' if the Muslimah's handbag has shades of pink to match her hijab?

The common notion amongst society is that when you wear the Hijab you look drab & unattractive... (and honestly, some women do let go of themselves... ).

I also think adapting (adapting, not changing 360 degrees!) dress-code depends a lot on our situation and surroundings. Wear a pink Abaya and go to the market in Pakistan... people will stop and stare... Wear a pink Abaya in Canada... people might not notice...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic