IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - why must we die?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why must we die?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why must we die?
    Posted: 17 February 2011 at 8:36am

I know in Christianity physical death is experienced because Adam and Eve sinned.  Is this also true in Islam?

Thanks
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Thomas N Thomas N wrote:

I know in Christianity physical death is experienced because Adam and Eve sinned.  Is this also true in Islam?

Thanks

I am not sure if I understood you correctly...but,

We die because our time on earth expires. Our life on earth is temporary, all living things have to die and return to Allah - our Creator. It is not because Adam & Eve sinned. Its a simple fact of life. As Muslims we are taught in Islam by Allah (God) that each every bieng is responsible for their own sins & actions. 'No bearer of burdens shall bear the burden of another.'

We believe Adam & Eve made a mistake because they were prone to error as mortals, they asked forgiveness from Allah, and Allah forgave them. We have no connection to their mistakes, nor are we impacted by them. Except for learning lessons from them.

Edited by Chrysalis - 17 February 2011 at 9:34pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Thomas N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 2:58am

Thank you, Chrysalis; yes, I could have been clearer. Again, as I understand Christianity, we die because we  have inherited Adam and Eve's rebellious, disobedient, self centered human nature and inevitably sin aganist the Creator which is punishable by death.  In Islam, we die because death is Allah's plan for us?  In Islam, all living things return to Creator Allah?  In Christianity, as I understand it, some men/women are translated into the presence of God, but not everybody.  Islam and Christianity agree; everyone is responsible and accountable for their own actions.

Thank you for your attention.  Thomas

Edited by Thomas N - 19 February 2011 at 4:35am
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2011 at 3:37am

� In�Islam, we die because�death is�Allah's plan for us?� In Islam, all living things return to Creator Allah?� In Christianity, as I understand it, some men/women are translated into the presence of God, but not everybody.� Islam and Christianity agree; everyone is responsible and accountable for their own actions.

Thank you for your attention.� Thomas

Yes that is correct. In Islam, death is inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing. (If we have been good on earth). We also believe that the pious on earth will get to 'meet' or 'see' Allah in Paradise. There are a lot of Hadith (Prophetic sayings) and Qur'an verses that talk about death, afterlife & Allah (how we will get to see Him, what Allah will do on the day of judgement etc.)

You are welcome.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Thomas N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2011 at 11:53am
Hello Chrysalis and it's good to hear from you!  In Christianity, of course, it's The Bible that tells how God justifies sinners, or declares them acceptable through their belief and trust in His goodness.  He Himself is the only one perfectly good and He demands that same perfection for one to be in His presence, but He shares of himself with whoever believes and trusts in Him alone for their salvation.

Peace, my friend

Thomas N
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 2:31am

Thank you, Chrysalis; yes, I could have been clearer. Again, as I understand Christianity, we die because we  have inherited Adam and Eve's rebellious, disobedient, self centered human nature and inevitably sin aganist the Creator which is punishable by death.  In Islam, we die because death is Allah's plan for us?  In Islam, all living things return to Creator Allah?  In Christianity, as I understand it, some men/women are translated into the presence of God, but not everybody.  Islam and Christianity agree; everyone is responsible and accountable for their own actions.

Thank you for your attention.  Thomas
Chrysalis has given you a pretty good Islamic note on the Islamic creed and understanding and I would like throw my two cents in...

Your question why must we die? is as old as the human race in general but the Jewish race in particular... Most of of them want to live for ever if you care to really get a closer look at their life style and the manner  they accumulate wealth...And same mentality was found with the European lot and after Jesus disappearance a Jew named Paul gave this oxymoron statement "wages of sin is death" to the Romans in order to get rid of their guilt trip and fear of dying that formed the basis of what we know as Christian dogma!

It absolutely makes no sense cuz we are here thanks to Adam...If he was punished with death permanently for whatever sin he committed then the game was kaput!
As a matter of fact to sin is human and to forgive is divine...Only God's messengers were strictly guided to shun them...If others sin and sin they will God loves when the man asks for forgiveness! And forgives again and again till he becomes conscientious or is lost to his conscience!

If you know the court trials when a guilty defendant pleads guilty ends up with a lighter sentence than if the prosecution had to go through rigors of the trial and its cost etc.

I don't know how old are you if you wait till the age of singularity you may not need to ask this question!LOL
There is another Jew these days named Ray Kurzweil who is preaching after the age of Singularity "Indefinite life extension becomes a reality; people die if they chose to" Kurzweil hopes to bring his dead father back to life! provided he lives for another 35 years when according to him man becomes immortal...He will be 98 years old!
In other words the man or men in charge will become god or gods having raised dead men or women back from their graves!Wink Who will care for what Paul said?

Death is there cuz life is there and you come in contact with a mini death daily while asleep...The believer is not afraid of death and disbeliever is planning to escape it at all cost but there is no escape!
The man is subject to multiplicity of deaths but major ones are spiritual and then physical! It is up to man to evolve his ego and preserve the spiritual as paramount for an everlasting physical life in the hereafter, not the other way round as the capitalistic man is going about it!

Edited by Sign*Reader - 24 February 2011 at 3:16am
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Thomas N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 4:05pm
Hello Sign*Reader and thanks for your comments.  There's alot to digest here - can we start at the beginning, with Adam and Eve?  As to the sin they committed, Christianity understands that it was their rebellion, their refusal to submit to God, Allah, and obey the one and only law that they had been given which led to their downfall which was, as you point out, first their spiritual death [cut off from God's presence] and later their physical death.  While physical death can seem menacing to an unbeliever, as you say it is spiritual death, or being cut off from God, that has eternal devastating consequences.  Paul's remark that "the wages of sin are death" [spiritual and physical] simply describes the consequences of sin, or rebellion, the deaths that we all experience.  Christianity understands that Adam and Eve were created in God's image and as created had the ability to not sin; however, it was permanently lost when they forfeited submission in favor of self gratification.  They being the first parents of the entire human race, every man and woman born since has inherited a lifeless spirit, a total inability to not sin, and the curse of eventual physical death from our first parents.  

That's pretty much how Christianity looks at spiritual and physical death.
I'm not sure I have a good understanding of how Islam sees them.  From what I understand at this point, Islam recognizes spiritual death but I'm not sure what the reason for it is and how it impacts one's relationship with Allah.  As to physical death, from what I understand of Islam it seems to be related more to Allah's design of how things are than to the execution of God's judgment for the rebellion of Adam and Eve.   

Edited by Thomas N - 24 February 2011 at 6:56pm
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 2:58am

Hello Sign*Reader and thanks for your comments.  There's alot to digest here - can we start at the beginning, with Adam and Eve?
 As to the sin they committed, Christianity understands that it was their rebellion, their refusal to submit to God, Allah, and obey the one and only law that they had been given which led to their downfall which was, as you point out, first their spiritual death [cut off from God's presence] and later their physical death.

Thanks to you too...take your time!

Paul's remark that "the wages of sin are death" [spiritual and physical] simply describes the consequences of sin, or rebellion, the deaths that we all experience.

What Paul remarked may be partially true and not in its entirety...Sin and rebellion darkens the spiritual side of life but may not cause the physical death immediately ... Our physical death is timed based on numerous factors and circumstances governed by Allah's macro rules nation by nation...The man is trying to unlock that secret but so far has not been very successful. The murder is bigger sin than a short lived rebellion but if look at history the Christian nations have done that with quite impunity how is that possible? and what are the wages of causing death of others?

Quote Christianity understands that Adam and Eve were created in God's image and as created had the ability to not sin; however, it was permanently lost when they forfeited submission in favor of self gratification.

Muslims do not believe that Adam/Eve were created in God's image may be metaphorically, the prophets who were given scripture and training under divine guidance are only ones devoid of sin cuz they have to models to sinful humanity for a contrast... like light and darkness in it's variations.

Quote They being the first parents of the entire human race, every man and woman born since has inherited a lifeless spirit, a total inability to not sin, and the curse of eventual physical death from our first parents.

This passing the buck approach is taken by who ever is told not take the responsibility living as lawful citizens...It is difference between how the soul has evolved...If there is speed limit you may stay within and get to the destination comfortably  or speed over get a citation or cause accident and death and damage to self and others...It is called the acts of nafs in state of conscienceless! There are other examples a robber, a thief a murderer and rapist that mirror the soul of the community and nation Allah sets a macro limit on the justice part and when the limit is exceeded the nation goes under and the process goes on!
So far the individual act is concerned the soul must submit other wise be ready for the consequences... Adam was kicked out of garden but now the target of the descendants is to get back where he was kicked out from on the judgment day when all are resurrected to own up the charge sheet!

Quote That's pretty much how Christianity looks at spiritual and physical death.
I'm not sure I have a good understanding of how Islam sees them.  From what I understand at this point, Islam recognizes spiritual death but I'm not sure what the reason for it is and how it impacts one's relationship with Allah.  As to physical death, from what I understand of Islam it seems to be related more to Allah's design of how things are than to the execution of God's judgment for the rebellion of Adam and Eve.   
Anyone who rejects the Lordship of Allah and makes partners is spiritually dead and disconnected from allah And there is clear warning detailed in the revelations about the consequences of joining forces of satan by doing that! What Adam did was he got misled by satan and has no bearing on what we do here and now following the rules in Quraan and rules laid down by prophet and die and resurrect on judgment day and have  Allah's grace and recommendation of prophet Muhammad for any error or omission as promised! You can not go on blaming the parents in Islam.period
Just think if Adam and Eve had not come down to this earth there would no you or me and zillion other running all over the place!

Edited by Sign*Reader - 28 February 2011 at 3:09am
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic