IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How Does One makes dhikr??  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Does One makes dhikr??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 7:22am
Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

By the way, sis - wanttoknow is new to Islam. Let us not confuse her with bidah.

You are right Sis. Agreed! Smile
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hidden_Pearl View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hidden_Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 5:50pm
Asalaamu aleikum-

Well, using tasbeeh (or subha as some call them) may not be Sunnah, that's true- and certainly using your fingers is preferred. But I don't think we can go so far as to call it a form of shirk, as seekshidayath asserts! Shirk is defined as the association of partners with Allah SWT.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hidden_Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 5:57pm
The word I was looking for is "Riyaa"- meaning an ostentatious display of piety, or "showing off" as seekshidayath puts it. Yes, riyaa is a sin, and the public use of tasbeeh/subha could fall into that category, certainly. But that's still something different from shirk.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2011 at 5:19am
Originally posted by Hidden_Pearl Hidden_Pearl wrote:

The word I was looking for is "Riyaa"- meaning an ostentatious display of piety, or "showing off" as seekshidayath puts it. Yes, riyaa is a sin, and the public use of tasbeeh/subha could fall into that category, certainly. But that's still something different from shirk.

Abu Saeed reported that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) came to us while we were discussing about Dajjal and said, "Should I not inform you of that which I fear for you even more than the dangers of Dajjal? It is the hidden Shirk (Riya); A person stands to pray, and he beautifies his prayer because he sees the people looking at him." (Sunan Ibn Majah vol. 2, #3389)

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hidden_Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2011 at 10:38am
Yes- thanks for that, Sister!
Still, I would surmise that the use of Subha for Dhikr would only count as Riyaa if done publically or in front of others. If used in private it would be different. And Allah SWT knows best...
By the way, the proper name in Arabic for the beads used to make Dhikr that we've been discussing is "Subha"-  the term "Tasbeeh" refers to the action of using them, not the beads themselves.
The only other thing that I would add is this- let's not scare a new muslima with talk of commiting Shirk, just because some well-meaning person gave her Subha as a gift. Shirk is a big and serious thing, as you know. I would advise her that she is better off using her fingers to make Dhikr, and maybe she could hang the Subha somewhere to remind her of the wonderful support of Sisterhood in Islam.
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2011 at 7:03am

Ar-Riyaa i.e showing off is a topic that cannot be ignored and taken  as less important topic. Since we may get diverted by it's discussion here, kindly go thru this link.

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18746&PN=1

Edited by seekshidayath - 04 March 2011 at 7:04am
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Hidden_Pearl Hidden_Pearl wrote:

Yes- thanks for that, Sister!
Still, I would surmise that the use of Subha for Dhikr would only count as Riyaa if done publically or in front of others. If used in private it would be different. And Allah SWT knows best...
According to this logic one must not pray in mosque, because they are praying publicly - in front of others there is danger of falling into the sin of riya Ermm 

Any action, just because it is done in public, does not automatically become riya!
Riya is a matter of heart, or intention. If one intends to do an action not purely for Allah, rather for gaining a good opinion of people as well, s/he is lacking in sincerity and doing riya.

If someone is doing dhikr in public, but not using prayer beads, its hard for anyone to know where his mind and heart is ... he is doing a secret dhikr.
However if someone is carrying prayer beads so they do not miss count - and NOT WITH THE INTENTION of showing off - who are we to judge? And how can anyone judge if a person is showing off or not?

The starter asked how to do dhikr ... it is the action of remembering Allah which can be done standing, sitting or lying on ones side - as the quran states:

3:190-191
Lo! In the creation of the heavens and the earth and (in) the difference of night and day are tokens (of His Sovereignty) for men of understanding, (190) Such as remember Allah, standing, sitting, and reclining...

It is also said in the Quran to remember Allah " much "

And Allah has said, if you remember Me, I will remember you.

In a hadith it says if a woman is doing dhikr while cleaning her house, she gets the reward of cleaning the kabah.

And there are plenty, plenty mentions of benefits or dhikrullah in Hadith and Quran.
One does not always need to keep a count.
You might get some good posts on dhikr here on the forum archives, and elsewhere on islamic websites, inshAllah.

Dhikrullah is the polish of spiritual heart!

Edited by Nausheen - 24 March 2011 at 10:27pm
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
An0nymous View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote An0nymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2011 at 7:14pm
Folks, the sahaba used stones and seeds to count their dhikr. Imagine counting 12,000 SubhanAllah's using your fingers.

In this regard, a Saheeh (sound) narration has been recorded by Imam Tirmizi, Hakim and Tabrani from Safiya bint Huyay (the wife of the Messenger of Allah (S.A) that she said, � The Messenger of Allah came to me and in front of me were four thousand date stones with which I was doing the Tasbeeha ( reciting the phrase Subhaanallaah). He said, �what is this O bint Huyay! (i.e. O daughter of Huyay). I said �I am doing tasbeeh with these�. He said, �I have made tasbeeh (glorify Allah by saying subhaanallaah) from the time I left you more than that�. I said, �Teach me O Prophet of Allah�. He (the Prophet said, �Say, �Subhaanallaah Adada Ma Khalaqa min Shai�in� (i.e. glory be to Allah to the extent (amount) of what He Has created of everything).

In another tradition narrated from Sa�ad bin Abi Waqas(R.A), it is stated that he went with the Prophet (S.A) to a woman who had in front of her date stones or pebbles which she was using to do tasbeeh (saying Subhaanallaah).

Another tradition is recorded by Imam Baghwi in his Mu�jam As Sahaba and also narrated by Ibn Asakir in his �Tareekh� from Ubai bin Kaab (r.a) from his grandfather Baqiya from Abu Safiya, the freed slave of the Prophet (S.A). It is narrated that a leather mat used to be placed for Abu Safiya and then a basket (made of palm leaves) would be brought for him. In the basket contained pebbles with which he did the tasbeeh until midday. After this, the basket would be lifted (carried away) and when he performed his Salaah it would be brought again. In this manner he made the tasbeeh on these pebbles until the evening.

Imam Ahmad has mentioned in �Az-Zuhd� a narration from Yunus bin Ubaid from his mother who said, � I saw Abu Safiya, a companion of the Prophet (S.A), who was our neighbor, saying tasbeeh with the pebbles�.

...and on and on and on.
Taken from:
http://www.darululoomtt.org/fatwa_143.shtml

Edited by An0nymous - 18 April 2011 at 7:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic