IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Women, Husbands and the hospital  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Women, Husbands and the hospital

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpnethost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women, Husbands and the hospital
    Posted: 25 December 2010 at 4:55pm
I work with a devout Moslem and he is my supervisor. His wife is often in the hospital because of an ongoing illness. It is frustrating for me and my co workers that he misses so many work days. Someone said that he must accompany his wife at all times when there are male doctors present. If she stays overnight (where there are nurses) is he required to stay with her. or is he just being a considerate husband?

Thanks
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2010 at 6:13am
Welcome,

From  my understanding, she generally should not be alone with men, here are a few options
1. have a female doctor
2. explain to the hospital the issue so that a woman nurse, doctor etc  is present/ When I was in Pakistan there was another female present when i had to see a doctor.
3. is there anyone else who can go to appointments etc- family or friends?

It is good he is devoted but maybe some other things can help. Others may have some suggestions
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2010 at 4:10pm
Interesting question.  As a non-Muslim myself, I obviously can't answer, but I'm guessing that there will be varying opinions even among Muslims, and I hope we will hear many of them.

Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

From  my understanding, she generally should not be alone with men...

Hayfa, what would you think constitutes "alone"?  If a male doctor is in the room with her, not doing a physical examination but just talking with her, would that be a problem? How about if the door is open and they are at least potentially in sight of others passing by?

Nowadays I think most male doctors prefer to have a nurse present when they are examining a female patient anyway, Muslim or not.  Otherwise they are too vulnerable to lawsuits and false allegations of misconduct.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2011 at 10:45am
I agree Ron. And I am glad of those who don't fear having a female nurse present. And realize that false allegations can arise and sadly, some of their colleagues are dirty.

From what I understand the door could be open and he is talking to her, correct.. though most people do not want conversations public, but yes the door could be open...
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2011 at 10:50am
Or he could just be a considerate, loving husband? An ongoing illness is a serious matter - in which family members offer emotional / physical support to their loved ones - often accompanying them to hospital visits / staying overnight. More so for spouses. 
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic