IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Women/Converting  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Women/Converting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lovely Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women/Converting
    Posted: 05 December 2010 at 1:31pm

I am a young american  woman who is married to an amazing Arabic man (not leagally but by his religion- Islam) I have done a lot of research into it because I dont have a religion of my own, however I want to make sure if I change that its for the right reasons. I DO belive everything I know of Islam such as the Prophet but I just wouldnt know the first thing about converting. . . Such as prayer, how to dress , ect.. I try to ask questions but there is only so much he can tell me , There is no mosque nearby so I'm looking for ANY TIPS OR ANSWERS. I do know its preferred that women cover their hair, for some reason that almost makes me uncomfortable, is it required? 

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 12:29am
Salaam/Peace,

Welcome to IC forum. As far as I know converting to Islam it's very simple. Just Say the "shahadah", conviction that there is only one God and Muhammad (please be upon him) is the messenger of God.
After that you can do other thing such as salat (islamic prayer), do it little by little one step at a time.
Regarding dress there is no specific type/model, the only requirement is modesty. So you can use your current clothing at the moment, it's prefer with long sleeve and long paints. Regarding scarf (covering hair), you don't need to rush with this, you can do this later if you comfortable with it. Regarding this is a requirement or not, as far as I know, there are two different opinion on this, one scholar say yes and the other say no. But my wife wear it and she and I like it.

My suggestion as soon as you take shahadah (if you decide to do so) the first step that you need to take  learning salat (prayer), here one of the source regarding salat:

Edited by semar - 06 December 2010 at 12:38am
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Lovely Soul View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lovely Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 5:35am
I was just afraid that if I converted and didnt know prayer and didnt cover my hair that maybe to Allah that would be worse than just not converting. 
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 9:43am
Hello Lovely Soul,

Welcome to Islamicity. Wishing you a very happy stay with us

You have been answered by Br.Semar. You can gradually learn these things later. Once when we are contended that ISLAM is a true way of life, we shud n't be late. Else take your own time until you get satisfied.

You can keep us posting any question of yours. We have sisters section as well. Keep us posted.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Lovely Soul View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lovely Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 8:41pm
Thank you both for your answers, We live in a very small community with no female Muslims, With how seperate Islam keeps the men and women I try to tread lightly with the questions I ask (for GREAT fear of offending someone) Other than the internet -I feel like many things online regaurding this religion are misleading-what are some ways to learn of the practices involed ?
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Lovely Soul Lovely Soul wrote:

I was just afraid that if I converted and didn't know prayer and didn't cover my hair that maybe to Allah that would be worse than just not converting. 
Allah is the most wise and the most merciful. He is much-much wiser than the most wise person on earth. He appreciates any effort that done by his creation (human) to be closer to him. So every aspect even if it is very small will be counted.  Nothing can be done abruptly, during the early Islam Allah didn't reveal the prohibition of alcohol till very late, because the meccan were like to drink so much. So in the beginning, Allah only asked not to be drunk while you pray (salat), this rule stayed for a while till finally Allah reveal full prohibition of alcohol, after the Muslim faith were strong enough.

He measures of our deed based on our effort not based on the result. It is possible that your single salat (prayer) get much more reward compare of ours just because you need much more effort to perform the salat. Here is one example, there is a hadith (Prophet Muhammad's saying): "Somebody who read Quran with difficulties (because still learning) get two rewards, somebody that read Quran fluently get one reward."

So, do whatever you can, little by little, you don't need to rush, He (God) will treat you as "new" not as a mufti (scholar) that graduated from al-Azhar. So little missing here and there perfectly fine.

Edited by semar - 07 December 2010 at 7:35pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 11:16pm

Thank you both for your answers, We live in a very small community with no female Muslims, With how seperate Islam keeps the men and women I try to tread lightly with the questions I ask (for GREAT fear of offending someone) Other than the internet -I feel like many things online regaurding this religion are misleading-what are some ways to learn of the practices involed ?

Salaam Sister!

Regarding your first question - about your worrying if Allah would dislike you converting simply because you don't pray or cover your hair:

Sis, in Islam - we are told & we believe that Allah is ALL MERCIFUL & ALL WISE. He knows you better than yourself or even the person closest to you. We don't believe that Allah is out to get us, and is nauzubillah scrutinizing us under a microscope to smite is if we sin...

Islam teaches us the concept of a MERCIFUL & JUST God. We believe Allah loves us 70times more than our mother, and is closer to us than our Jugular Vien. Rest assured He knows and understands your struggles better than you yourself. And He shall Judge you according to your circumstances.

Allah the Almighty has said : "O Son of Adam, as long as you invoke Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind...O Son of Aadam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the Earth, and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as it [too]." [Tirmidhee]

Islam is not simply a formal utterance or a bunch of rituals Sis. It is a firm belief that stems from the heart. A Muslim is one who believes in Allah and His message. The day belief in Allah entered your heart - you were Muslim in Allah's eyes. Smile

It is natural to progress slowly and unrealistic to expect that you can pull a switch and be Super-Muslim in one day after uttering Shahadah. For a person who has not been born into Islam, it is like you have been born and will grow as a Muslim. (free of sins btw. Once a person converts, they start with a fresh slate, free of all past sins. Praise be to God)

So before you start anything else - have firm belief that Allah is by your side and will only help you this. Allah says that once His creation takes an initiative/step towards Him - it His responsibility to come towards His creation. 

Strengthen your relationship with Allah - it is a very intimate & personal feeling. Undescribable. Make 'dua' to him (i.e. ask Him for things, talk to Him).

"And your Lord says: Pray unto me: and I will hear your prayer" (Quran 40:60)

While Hijab & Prayer are essential parts of being a Muslim - Faith in Allah (Tauheed) is the criteria for being Muslim. Like they say, Hijab is a part of Islam, Islam is not a part of Hijab.

Edited by Chrysalis - 07 December 2010 at 2:08am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 11:24pm

I totally get where you're coming from. That would naturally make things a bit difficult, since you don't have Muslim friends/community who could help/guide you.

Your only option remains 'the internet'. As for the misleading info out there - that is a valid concern. Although inshAllah (God Willing) your heart will give some sort of a signal or indication at info that is baseless or doesn't make sense. Islam is a religion that 'makes sense' - whenever the info you are provided 'doesn't make sense' - stop right there and check it up.

There are some really nice converts here who will inshAllah come along and help.

You can start with this forum. We could suggest some nice websites you could learn from. Try you-tubing this gentleman 'suhaib webb' or 'hamza yusuf' both are converts like you & good Imams.

Suhaib Webb's website: http://www.suhaibwebb.com/

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic