IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ethics of unmanned or drone weapon systems  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ethics of unmanned or drone weapon systems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 7:00am
Is the primary argument against anti-personnel mines the one that argues against their potential use against civilians or non-combatents, or, if you will, the collateral damage issue? 
optimizer View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote optimizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 7:07am
I do not consider unmanned weapons to be any different than manned weapons or in person combat.
All of them rely on decisions made by a person.
The only difference is the location of that person.
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 5:00pm
and the recallability of the weapon of course
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2010 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

I feel that morality or immorality would apply to those individuals on the ground giving intelligence.  The drone weapon technology, as I understand it, does not cause mass destruction, and if used properly could save young American lives, and reduce civilian casualties.

I see this discussion is about Pakistan, right?
Next, how does that information travel?
It couldn't be the individuals but rather the ruling junta on the take that pimps this information. In that country ( classified almost the most corrupt where they will sell their own mother for money) government army soldiers have been killing their own citizens since her inception; what few hundred civilians deaths out of 170 million would matter by video game consoles when they are getting billions of zombie taxpayers money and the top jobs to boot! According to the reports the Paki army has killed more people than the drones will ever kill!
So as a part of ethic scenario add up all the numbers first being a capitalist!

Finally if you are not aware of the fact that country creation had lot to with her territory being part of the ring around the USSR ( defunct) unbeknown to the ignorant masses of the Pakiland...Are you old enough to remember Baghdad pact (CENTO)? So it is not that simple to discuss the ethics about drones use over the hapless masses in isolation!

Edited by Sign*Reader - 25 December 2010 at 3:54pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2010 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

I would like a response from the community on this forum as to the perceived morality or immorality of the use of unmanned or drone weapon systems.  I'm not looking for cut and paste jobs of articles from the Huffington Post here folks.  I'm interested in what you think. 

First of all can you send the drones over every country in the world or you are trying to be selective?
Aren't you assuming that Huffington Post is somehow ICs community's ethics arbiter?

Edited by Sign*Reader - 25 December 2010 at 4:20pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2010 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Divya_Mohammed Divya_Mohammed wrote:

Assalam Alaikum

I think drone attacks are acceptable as it is specific and targeted to kill the terrorists. They do not cause untargeted deaths (bearing few) and no mass casualities. What can you do to the cowards who kill innocent people at random. I support American drone attacks on Pakistan.

Divya Mohammed Iyer

I can propose a better solution invade Pakistan and end the charade...

Edited by Sign*Reader - 25 December 2010 at 4:25pm
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2010 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

and the recallability of the weapon of course

What the heck is the recallability?Wink

Edited by Sign*Reader - 25 December 2010 at 4:28pm
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2010 at 9:26pm
Wonderful, here we go trying to address all of Sign Reader's spam.  Where are the moderators when you need them?

1. "I see this discussion is about Pakistan, right?
Next, how does that information travel?
It couldn't be the individuals but rather the ruling junta on the take that pimps this information. In that country ( classified almost the most corrupt where they will sell their own mother for money) government army soldiers have been killing their own citizens since her inception; what few hundred civilians deaths out of 170 million would matter by video game consoles when they are getting billions of zombie taxpayers money and the top jobs to boot! According to the reports the Paki army has killed more people than the drones will ever kill!
So as a part of ethic scenario add up all the numbers first being a capitalist! Finally if you are not aware of the fact that country creation had lot to with her territory being part of the ring around the USSR ( defunct) unbeknown to the ignorant masses of the Pakiland...Are you old enough to remember Baghdad pact (CENTO)? "

Nothing to do with this topic.  Put it somewhere else Sign Reader.

2. "First of all can you send the drones over every country in the world or you are trying to be selective? Aren't you assuming that Huffington Post is somehow ICs community's ethics arbiter?"

This topic is about the ethics and/or morality of drone weapon system use in general.  Try keeping your posts about the subject?  Secondly, no I'm not assuming anything.  I'm simply trying to prevent your standard cut and paste articles about everything and anything whether or not it applies to the subject.

3. "I can propose a better solution invade Pakistan and end the charade...

".  Don't you think this is a little extreme?  I'm willing to bet  Divya_Mohammed meant drone attacks on insurgents in Pakistan and not Pakistan as a nation.

4. The ability of the weapon to be recalled once launched.

Got anything on point Sign Reader? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic