IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can a Muslim be president of the USA?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can a Muslim be president of the USA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can a Muslim be president of the USA?
    Posted: 29 November 2010 at 10:41am
My answer is no....at least temporarily.

My argument thus follows in sequence

a) This is not to say that religion, has any effect on the intelligence of the one holding the office, rather current cultural climate has not acclimated to a "Muslim President."

b) If in fact we can consider a Muslim president he, like all presidents before him or her, would be influenced by interest groups and most importantly, if America isn't turned into or follows Islamic law would be seen as a "puppet" by others-even Muslims

c) The question of orthodoxy comes into question and whether the president would be seen as a hardliner, moderate, or a borderline apostate.

d) Although the Constitution is said to be similar to Islamic ethics would a supposed orthodox Muslim argue for a sort of hybrid Islamic ethical code along with the Constitution or would he or she impliment any Islamic ethical code of any kind to be implimented in America?
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 11:09am

Denomination

Number of
Presidents

Percent of
Presidents

Percent of
Current
U.S. Pop.

Ratio:
% of Pres.
to % of Pop.

Episcopalian

26.2%

1.7%

Presbyterian

23.8%

2.8%

Methodist

11.9%

8.0%

Baptist

9.5%

18.0%

Unitarian

9.5%

0.2%

Disciples of Christ

7.1%

0.4%

Dutch Reformed

4.8%

0.1%

Quaker

4.8%

0.7%

Congregationalist

2.4%

0.6%

Catholic

2.4%

24.5%

Jehovah's Witness

2.4%

0.6%

TOTAL

100%

57.0%

Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 11:54am
And your point?

These are Christian sects.....

Despite the variety of these denominations the fact that, at least culturally, if you took a poll more Americans would be comfortable at least with someone of a Christian denomination than a Muslim. But the question still remains unanswered by you sir.
aka2x2 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka2x2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 1:14pm
Majority of the population in the US is Christian. And, like you, they would not vote for a Non-Christian preseident (Jewish, Muslim, etc). To do so requires too high a degree of maturity and tolerance for this country.
I hope we get there some day, but today is not the day.
Respectfully
aka2x2
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 2:23pm
What does "like you" mean? I never implied I wouldn't. Please don't put words or imply that I wouldn't. Frankly I personally don't care what your religious observances are as long as they don't impede on my personal beliefs. I'm saying that at this time, a Muslim president isn't possible because of the current climate.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 4:13pm
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2010 at 9:59am
Dr. Manmohan Singh is the 14th and current Prime Minister of the Republic of India. He is the first Sikh to hold the office. Two percent of the Indian population are Sikhs.

The current co-leader of the Green Party in Germany (supported by about 20% of all German voters) is a secular Muslim.

American President in 2024? It could be a Muslim. A secular Muslim who does not believe that religious laws rank over secular laws. A secular Muslim who doesn't believe that Islam is the only true religion. This would work.

Edited by Matt Browne - 01 December 2010 at 10:00am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2010 at 11:19am
Matt good idea however I wounder if the post-traumatic stress of the culture within the united states would accept that? However I would whether or not there is a problem with orthodoxy. The current Judeo-Christian climate of "In God we trust" most certainly relates to Jesus of Nazareth, not Eloh, or Alaha, nor Allah. GWB believes in Jesus and so does Obama. Now, can 12 years from 2012 and 2024 make that of a difference in the religious climate of America?

Having a Sikh as president in India is a different cultural climate than having a Muslim president in the North American United States. I believe, as some other minority groups believe, that most White protestant, (or whites in general) believe in stereotypes more than truth. So if we continue to have terrorist who claim to be muslim blowing up buildings or christmas trees how can we convince intelligent Americans that a Muslim president is as capable as any other?

Edited by Gibbs - 01 December 2010 at 11:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic