IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can a Muslim be president of the USA?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can a Muslim be president of the USA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leewcb2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 8:57pm
I don't see why not. I mean, this is America, the founding fathers and the continuation clearly allows for any one who was born in the us to run for president.
Now, as far as actually getting elected goes, I think the American people are not there yet. However, I think it the Muslim community can make it easier by distinguishing themselves from extremist and making sure the American people understand that Islam is not what the extremest say it is.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 2:56am
According to the law, it is possible. But according the "people", it is not possible.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Divya_Mohammed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divya_Mohammed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 4:49am
Assalam Alaikum

Can a Non-Muslim become a citizen of Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar or even Egypt, Algeria or Pakistan ?  All these are absurd topics. By asking such questions, what are we trying to prove except that all non-muslims hate us ? Is there any logic ?

Divya Mohammed
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

I would like to give more credit if the media wouldnt film conservative Christians crying over mosques being built. Remember, many people after Septermber 11th didn't know much about Islam except what they saw on the news. I believe if constant terrorism done by extremist in the name of Islam continue, the continual stereotype of muslims being so-called "terrorist" will continue in the next 12 years. Again, like I said media wars should be continually fought by Muslims.

If these mosques are being built with Saudi Arabian money trying to spread Wahhabism there might be a problem. Otherwise I think the mosques are wonderful.
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Tiffe Tiffe wrote:

I believe Americans are being underestimated on this thread. Most Americans would vote for a Christian or Jew - and the day is coming quickly where they would vote for a Muslim, if they were convinced he or she was a moderate Muslim. I'm not entirely sure how they would know this. Can anyone suggest how we could convince the general population that a candidate was moderate in his or her personal views?

I think defining moderate is rather simple

1) There can be more than one true religion
2) Beliefs are not facts
3) Laws are created by the people for the people and can change over time

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Leewcb2 Leewcb2 wrote:

I don't see why not. I mean, this is America, the founding fathers and the continuation clearly allows for any one who was born in the us to run for president.
Now, as far as actually getting elected goes, I think the American people are not there yet. However, I think it the Muslim community can make it easier by distinguishing themselves from extremist and making sure the American people understand that Islam is not what the extremest say it is.

It's a logical topic because

a) Islam is a hot topic

b) because the constitution and the subsequent laws that follow it are exclaiming that "all men are created equal"

and

c) Because Muslims say Islam is universal....

This has nothing to do with Islam, rather having to do with the opinions of Americans. To you, this may seem an obvious answer however if you cared to look, there are variances in answers.

Edited by Gibbs - 05 December 2010 at 5:47pm
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

Originally posted by Tiffe Tiffe wrote:

I believe Americans are being underestimated on this thread. Most Americans would vote for a Christian or Jew - and the day is coming quickly where they would vote for a Muslim, if they were convinced he or she was a moderate Muslim. I'm not entirely sure how they would know this. Can anyone suggest how we could convince the general population that a candidate was moderate in his or her personal views?

I think defining moderate is rather simple

1) There can be more than one true religion
2) Beliefs are not facts
3) Laws are created by the people for the people and can change over time

If atheism is true, and Islam is true how is there truth in both?

Islam states God exist,

Atheism says it doesn't how can these be both true? I know its slightly derailing but please explain....
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 9:29am
Words are ambiguous. There's a difference of meaning of the word true depending on whether we talk about first order logic or beliefs (spiritual truths).

Yes, in first order logic either atheism or theism is true. But since we cannot verify this we are talking about beliefs. And beliefs are not facts. Therefore I support the notion of multiple spiritual truths depending on individual experience and thought.

Yes, Islam states God exists. So does Christianity. But they are beliefs. Not scientific facts. Or assertions based on boolean algebra or first-order logic. But when we are talking about spiritual truths we can claim that God exists.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic