IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - moderator issues  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

moderator issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 11:31pm

Yusuf, how is favouritism any good? You are asking that muslims take precendence over non muslims, yes this is dominately an islamic site but both groups of people are here, both needs to be moderated in equal terms no favouritism shouldn't take place. Aren't the rules for ALL ?

Muslims (not all) haven't exactly been that respectful, i.e: rehmet he's muslim, all you have do to is go thru his posts and you'll see. Some muslims need also moderating.

I can't understand this precendence over non muslims. Is this how its going to be if islam took over the world to rule, as muslims clearly wish. 

Ummziba, how is limiting the number of post suppose to help ?

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 12:01am

I never really would like to complain about moderators but I have noticed similar complaints raised and have myself an issue. Not naming any names but this individual knows who he is I really would like more of  a different approach. I understand the rules here are clearly stated but there are people here as brother Yusuf has mentioned, that have done far worse and their comments are allowed. As I believe in the freedom of Speech there is also the freedom of speech which can also deter others from commenting for fear of repetitive discussion. If there are to be some corrections especially to what Muslims post and since we as Muslims have a duty to help each other I would appreciate kind PM message on the reason why a person maybe silenced. I say especially Muslims as the reason I have stated above. Again I'm not saying to do so in vain even if the rules are clearly stated but to be sure if what was said was intentional or not.

The internet unfortunately cannot convey feelings or expressions so a lot of times words can be misunderstood and unfortunately the moderators too are humans and could err just as bad as we, the forum attendees.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 4:15am

Assalamu alaikum,

I do not know the answers.  Just trying to help this nice cyber space stay friendly rather than antagonistic.  There is too much bickering, useless arguing, name calling and mud slinging!  The poor moderators cannot be expected to keep their eyes everywhere when this stuff is running so rampant. 

We all need to help by remembering the rules ourselves and by not engaging in useless and endless argument with those who come here to put down our faith, our Prophet (pbuh) and us.  If reasoned and respectful dialogue does not stop those kinds of posters - ignore them!  Dont' carry on endlessly trying to "win a point" that they have no intention of letting you anyway.

The World Politics and Current Events threads are so ridiculous lately it is astonding!  We all need to try harder to keep all threads to reasoned and respectful dialogue (and a little humour never hurts!).

We could all be more helpful by using the "report" button on posts we find offensive instead of just posting "where are the moderators?" - how can they know what every post says?  There are not enough hours in the day for that!

Angel, you ask: Ummziba, how is limiting the number of post suppose to help ?

Well, I don't know if it would, it's only an idea.  Perhaps it would help curb the endless bickering back and forth in some of the more political threads.  It might also help curb the endless stream of new topic after new topic that never quite get addressed because there is just so much new stuff on the boards each day.  And it might make us all think twice before wasting a post on useless argument if we know we can only post so many per day.  I don't know....

Insha'allah the regular users here will try hard to set a good example and help curb nastiness so we can all enjoy being here!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 8:33am

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

The internet unfortunately cannot convey feelings or expressions

Expressions, certainly not, but feelings, sure it can.

Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

Yusuf, how is favouritism any good? You are asking that muslims take precendence over non muslims, yes this is dominately an islamic site but both groups of people are here, both needs to be moderated in equal terms no favouritism shouldn't take place. Aren't the rules for ALL ?

Muslims (not all) haven't exactly been that respectful, i.e: rehmet he's muslim, all you have do to is go thru his posts and you'll see. Some muslims need also moderating.

I can't understand this precendence over non muslims. Is this how its going to be if islam took over the world to rule, as muslims clearly wish. 

Angel, my post mentions allowing non-Muslims to post hate filled, abusive messages while at the same time editing the posts of Muslims. I only want a level playing field, not preference. The policy of this board, at least when I was moderator, is to give non-Muslims more leeway than Muslims, a policy that has given free reign to abusive people to come and post dozens of antagonistic messages a day and caused endless disputes between the moderators about how far such an abusive person should be permitted to go. My position as moderator was that all abusive posts should be eliminated and people who post abusive messages on more than one occasion should be banned.

Edited by Yusuf.
Yusuf
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 12:06pm

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

I agree with Sis Ummziba, leaving the forum will not solve the problem, most of us are here to learn, share and increase our knowledgeable from people like you.

The moderators have their work cut out for them, so Insha Allah we must show patience and tolerance and pray to Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala to guide them and reward them for their efforts Ameen! They are doing their best.

Members who abuse the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) in any way should be warned once and then their membership should be cancelled. There is no place for these type of people in any Islamic forum, besides that I think we should show tolerance like Ummziba said: "Dont' carry on endlessly trying to "win a point" that they have no intention of letting you anyway.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala make this Forum the best platform for learning about Islam and other issues. Ameen!

Salams to all

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Serinidad View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 12:35pm

[/QUOTE]

Angel, my post mentions allowing non-Muslims to post hate filled, abusive messages while at the same time editing the posts of Muslims. I only want a level playing field, not preference. The policy of this board, at least when I was moderator, is to give non-Muslims more leeway than Muslims, a policy that has given free reign to abusive people to come and post dozens of antagonistic messages a day and caused endless disputes between the moderators about how far such an abusive person should be permitted to go. My position as moderator was that all abusive posts should be eliminated and people who post abusive messages on more than one occasion should be banned. [/QUOTE]

I have noticed that it goes both ways here. I think it all does even out. I know I have seen many posts by someone named Jibreel and he uses "pigs" in his posts to the non-muslims and nothing has been done about that and that is offensive too. Also, I have seen non-Muslims posting things that are hate and prejudiced filled and that does not seem to be corrected either.

So, I suppose that it does all even itself out. You cannot moderate one over the other. Maybe if someone complained to a Moderator then they can look at the post. I know the moderators do not have time to read everything, the are only human.

Serinidad

Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2005 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Serinidad Serinidad wrote:

Maybe if someone complained to a Moderator then they can look at the post. I know the moderators do not have time to read everything, the are only human.

Serinidad

I did complain about a post and a participant, and while the moderator removed one of his abusive posts, another one was left untouched and this individual continues to post abusive comments.

I actually logged on to deal with yet more maligning of the Holy Qur'an and Saiduna Rasulallah Salallahu alaihi wassalam in a different thread; the forum "Quran and Sunnah," which in the old days was an exclusively Muslim forum, has been taken over by Christian fanatics determined to waste the time of Muslims in foolish arguments that were settled centuries ago or have no basis to be argued in the first place.

But I have no more time to waste on this nonsense. Yusuf was a persona that suited this forum under more friendly conditions; some of the veterans know who "I" really am. Since the forum I once knew and enjoyed has ceased to exist, with the posting of this message Yusuf has ceased to exist.

Yusuf
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic