IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - moderator issues  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

moderator issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: moderator issues
    Posted: 04 August 2005 at 9:00am

Assalamu alaikum,

I see that once again the moderators are editing a brother's posts (i.e. Akhi Whisper) and yet letting the abusive comments of a non-Muslim (i.e. niko) remain. I am not referring to his abusive comments toward me, about that I couldn't care less, but toward other believers on this board.

This preference for the kuffar over Muslims is why I resigned as moderator.

The only action I have seen against non-Muslims since my return was toward Colin and fezziwig, two long-term participants on this board. The public censure of these two individuals was uncalled for, and has apparently caused fezziwig to leave the community altogether. Why then are newcomers who abuse Muslims in every post left alone?

There must be consistency in the moderation policy if this board is to function.

I came back to this site owing to my affection for several participants, despite the fact that there has been a consistent tolerance for abusive kuffar. However, the atmosphere on this board has degenerated to such as low level that I will be taking another extended leave.

Edited by Yusuf.
Yusuf
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 9:40am

Aleykum Selam Brother Yusuf,

Brother i understand what you are talking about please do not care keep on the way...karde�im bilirsin belki T�rkiye'de bir atas�z� vard�r "it havlar kervan y�r�r diye"...l�tfen b�rak onlar� kendi hallerine, bahsetti�in mant���n alt�nda bayan bir moderat�r yat�yor olduk�a dik kafal� anlay��� k�t ve gereken dersini de  ald� benden...l�tfen bo�ver onlar�...Allah'a emanet....

Edited by Suleyman
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 10:30am

Assalamu alaikum,

I agree with Brother Yusuf that the "atmosphere on this board has degenerated to such a low level".  It is full of non-Muslims who constantly put down our religion, our Prophet (pbuh) and Muslims.

I know the moderators are volunteers and have a very hard job.  Still, there must be someway to prevent the board from becoming the negative and upsetting way that it has now become.  Perhaps limiting the number of posts by any individual in each day would help a bit?

I don't know what the answer is and I wish I could offer some concrete suggestions, (but, I also don't feel leaving is the way to solve this, Brother Yusuf).  If all the reasonable people leave, what would be left? 

May Allah help the moderators see a way to improve the tone and atmosphere here so our little cyber community can enjoy being here, rather than feeling sad and upset by so many of the posts!

peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 8:25am

Bismillah

Wa'alaikumu Salaam Brother Yusuf,

I regret to hear that you once resigned as a moderator, but i do share your views very much. I recently took a couple of breaks myself after having allowed a train of useless thoughts enter the tunnel of politics, conspiracies and what not.

Often there are petty discussions with rather lengthy posts which i personally feel reluctant to go through... even as a moderator. If there is something very evident i pick it up and do the cleaning (not editing).

If participants would assist in moderation by ignoring provocative topics which start with suicide attacks and end with history of creation the environment may become less polluted.

Sister Ummziba made a very important point, if all reasonable people leave what would be left...?

MOCKBA
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 10:58pm
As Salaam Alaikum,
Sister Ummziba has been a very active member of this discussion forum since the past few months. Though, herself not a moderator, she has been performing the task of moderation on various threads. I suggest that sister Ummziba offered the responsibility of moderator, too (just in case, that hasn't been done yet).
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
Serinidad View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 11:00pm

Why can't there just be an "ignore" key that we could use? That would solve a lot. Can this be added? That way the abusive people would not have to affect the rest of the community here.

ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 11:03pm
Quote The only action I have seen against non-Muslims since my return was toward Colin and fezziwig, two long-term participants on this board. The public censure of these two individuals was uncalled for, and has apparently caused fezziwig to leave the community altogether.

Some members of the forum (especially, the "senior" members) overestimate their intellect and that of each other. If they can't do any good, they should not do any harm, either. I suggest they should resign and Akhi Yusuf  be requested to take up the responsibility of being a moderator, again.
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 8:27pm

Bismillah

Brother ZamanH, there are four moderators, if i am not mistaken. When you identify "some", and suggest "they" should resign - you are pointing your fingers at more than one. Of these you further highlight some as being "senior".

I have much respect for the moderators on this board and have always visited the board primarily to participate in discussions and share thoughts, not to moderate. Moderators on this board are not extraordinary intellectuals, distinguished scholars, trained leaders, professional negotiators or exceptionally pious people. Even if they are, I have personally never heard them publicly announcing it or displaying their certificates of achievement.

If your description of "overestimated intellect" was the result of any of my responses, posts or actions - I resign as a moderator. I am quite alright partipating without any special powers and stars. During my lengthy stay with prolonged breaks I have seen many knowledgeable members come and go, I can only appreciate the opportunity i had to learn from them without having to let them know.

The same goes with a couple of current members and i would not mention names in fear that their intellectual capacities are somehow questioned by those who are missed.

If some want to put all airs jumping the topic and never intending to learn something - it is up to them... Others may want to gather all  information available on Islam's stand on masturbation and have deep intellectuall discourse on the subject. It is indeed pity that some of very worthy contributors find it hard to participate in such a noisy and polluted environment where thoughts and opinions are easily hijacked and turned around... 

Edited by MOCKBA
MOCKBA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic