IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Friday Sermons  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Friday Sermons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2010 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

salaam alykum!
Were there cases of Muslim women getting tattoos at that time?

The community had hardly enough to eat and life being so primitive where did the instruments for tattooing and plucking came from?

Come on Sign! Those were not the stone-ages. If the hadith mentions this, obviously this was a tend at the time. Unless you are implying that this hadith was concocted? In which case, whats the point in talking about it at all since you don't believe in it? Just because you are not aware of the various tools & methods of plucking, does not mean it did not exist. Tattooing is a very ancient art, all it requires is dye, and a sharp enough object to prick you. All it takes is a needle. They had needles back then - I'm sure you know.

Quote Are some of the most pressing issues facing the voiceless Muslim people around?

Agreed that this may not be a pressing issue facing Muslims in SOME countries. I doubt that an Imam in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia may need to address this issue. But in a western, non-Muslim society where Muslim youth come across such things - it IS an issue that needs to be addressed. Perhaps it  may be down the priority list, but it cannot just be ignored. Some people simply don't know about these things. A relative of mine in the USA, had a religious awakening and the first thing he did was go have the Kalimma tattooed on his arm. I bet if his Imam had spoken of it, he would have desisted.  So Imams need to be in touch with their society, their congregation and the issues that face them.  I think this was an appropriate topic to address in the USA, although it would not be a very good topic in a local Pakistani mosque.

Quote I am just curious would you ask the imam next time you see him...what would he recommend for a young woman  suffering from Poly cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)? That would let the girl look like a bearded character if not covered by niqab! And btw which Muslim of today will marry her if she doesn't do the whole state of the art hair works?

I appreciate how you always speak up for the women Bro! Its nice to see Muslim men say to other men 'mind your own biz' when it comes to Muslimah's personal matters. Clap. I get riled up on that too.. however I would not put the Imam in the same category... since if he minded only his own biz, he would not be doing the job of an educator. I would ease up on an Imam or older person and categorize that as advise. 

BTW all scholars have agreed that women with excessive facial hair can take measures to solve their problem. So I bet the Imam would say the same to a lady with such a problem. In case of exceptions, normal rules are not applied. But even for females with no such extreme condition it is ok to neaten up as long as they don't arch those brows and shape them. A muslimah is not at all bound by religion to have a cavemanish unibrow...

Isn't the wife supposed to make herself  beautiful for her husband?

Ofcourse she is. (And so is the husband). But within the realms of Islam. Every whim of his is not to be taken seriously... for e.g. if a husband wants his wife to opt for plastic surgery, tattoos, piercings or any other beautification method which is either harmful, painful or not allowed - then she has a right to say no, and should say no. Same applies to the husband's beautification/handsomification regime.

So it was obviously not addressed to me.... but still.....

Edited by Chrysalis - 14 November 2010 at 7:11pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 8:20pm
Eid Khutbah: Our Eid Khutbah was on the following hadith;

"If Allah wants to do good to a person, He makes him comprehend the religion."

And the du'a: Oh Allah increase me in knowledge..
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 2:56pm
Today's khuybah was about "staying the course".  The one who benefits most from belief is the one who, during some calamity or difficulty, puts his or her faith in Allah and shows patience through the whole ordeal and not just half way through.  The imam likened it to taking medicine as directed by a doctor through the whole course of therapy.  We would not stop taking the medicine half way through only to get no real benefit, so why would we stop taking the medicine of Islam only to stop half way through?
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 7:49pm
Our khutbah was about death - preparing for the inevitable.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 11:26am
Today's khutbah was about the sin of backbiting, which was described by the prophet Muhammad  (pbuh) as saying anything about another person which they would not want you to say.  The imam also mentioned that believers should not create fitna between friends and family.  
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 5:26pm
Today was a continuation from last week's topic of 'every soul must taste death'; thus correct your mistakes now.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 2:12pm
I was unable to go for the jumah prayers today as I have a cold.  InshaAllah, I should get over it in a few days.  Anyone who went, please share the khutbahs given.

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 2:35pm
Discussion centered around the prohibition of hair extensions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
  Share Topic