IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Friday Sermons  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Friday Sermons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friday Sermons
    Posted: 29 October 2010 at 11:40am
As-salaam alaikum to islamicity members.  I thought it was a good idea to start a thread on the khutbahs we hear every Friday and share with the people on this forum. 

I just came back from Jumah prayers at my local masjid and thought I might write to you about the sermon the imam gave, which I thought was very good and important. 

The main point which struck me was when he said Allah loves more that you do something He loves and has commanded you to do than to not do something which He has commanded you not to do.  As an example, the imam mentioned the story of Adam and Eve and Satan.  Adam and Eve were commanded by God not to eat from the forbidden tree.  Satan was commanded to bow down to Adam.  They all disobeyed God, but in the end, Adam and Eve were banished from Heaven temporarily (and forgiven their sins because they sincerely repented) while Satan was banished from Heaven for all eternity and condemned to Hell.  I have read this story numerous times in the Quran and never thought of it that way.  It truly is a beautiful message. 

In addition to this, the imam mentioned the importance of sabr (patience).  As an example, he mentioned how he has the utmost respect for people whose mother tongue is not Arabic and yet they have memorized the Quran.  Why?  Because if you don't speak Arabic,  it can be difficult to learn and recite the Quran.  This requires a lot of patience, as I know form personal experience.  He then mentioned a hadith from Sahih Muslim:

Book 004, Number 1745:

'A'isha reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) (as saying): One who is proficient in the Qur'an is associated with the noble, upright, recording angels; and he who falters in it, and finds it difficult for him, will have a double reward.

This is truly an uplifting message to all those who sincerely study the Quran, who falter in its recitation because they do not know Arabic but who persevere patiently out of love for Allah.  They shall have double the reward.  It brings a tear to my eye to know that Allah is so loving and forgiving.  All praise and glory is due to Him.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 2:17pm

The emphasis at my Mosque was repentance, moreover; sincere repentance having remorse and conviction not to repeat the offense/sin. 

Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 3:11pm
Assalamu alaikum. Islamispeace and abuayisa.

But how long did the Khutba last? I am not going to enter into any disagreement with anyone for Muslims believe in altering the Sunna of the holy Apostle. I reed what Wael Alkhairo wrote in his book "Speaking for change" A guide to making effective Friday sermons. He justified the ignorance of the Muslim Umma in disobeying the holy Apostle by prolonging the Friday sermon. May allah forgive us.
Friendship
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 3:22pm
"sigh"
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 4:01pm
Assalamu alaikum.

The most terrible one will be in the Hereafter!

Friendship.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 5:19pm
Brother Friendship, I understand what you are saying but that is not the purpose of this thread.  To answer your question, the khutbah lasted about 15 minutes.   What did the imam at your masjid speak about? 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 9:33pm

Good thread. Please keep it posting. Every friday as soon as my brothers and father return from masjids, first question i used to ask them was the topic of qutbah and its discussion. I just love this thread now. Plz do share the Khutbahs
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 11:01pm
Assalamu alaikum.

I used to lead the Friday Juma'at prayer in my working place before I retired.
You see, Islamispeace, I do not understand this Islam and how Allah will judge in the Hereafter that I adopt the attitude  of 'Abdullah ibn Umar in following the Sunna. My Khutba used to last for about four minutes and my prayer eight minutes. My Khutba mainly consisted of Tawhid, the Hereafter etc. The second Khutba contained an explanation of the first Khutba and a hadith of the holy Apostle. This is in proportion to the lenght of time the holy Apostle spent. Of course, I speak faster than the holy Apostle. MY POINT IS: I DO NOT BELIEVE IN INNOVATION. What I see Muslims do is not to my liking and I stay away from them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic