IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > GREEN Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Paper or canvas? Banning plastic bags  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paper or canvas? Banning plastic bags

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paper or canvas? Banning plastic bags
    Posted: 12 October 2010 at 10:52am
Salam all

Here in the U.S. we're all familiar with the question presented by the check-out clerk: Paper or Plastic? Hopefully in the near future the use of plastic bags will be phased out and the choice will be: Paper or Canvas?

Plastic (including plastic bags)is more prevalent in our oceans than plankton. Plastic bags choke and kill marine wildlife. They not only clutter our oceans but our streets as well.

China, Australia and countries in Africa and Europe have curbed the use plastic bags by imposing fees for using the bags or banning the bags entirely. The U.S. however is sadly behind the times in implementing a nation wide ban on plastic bags. Individual cities have bans in effect but there is no one state that has a ban implemented.

California was close to passing a bill that would ban plastic shopping bags and charge a fee for the use of paper bags, but due to low votes and last minute lobbying the bill failed.

Many stores have promotions that give the bags away or sell them for a low price. Some stores like Target refund 5 cents off your shopping bill each time a customer uses a canvas bag.

As individuals we can reduce pollution in our oceans and trash in our streets by using cloth or canvas bags when shopping.

N.B.

http://www.greenchange.org/article.php?id=3870

http://whichcountrieshavebannedplasticbags.blogspot.com/

http://healthebay.org/news/2010/09_01_AB1998/default.asp

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/10/20/target-cvs-launch-reusable-bag-incentive-programs/

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 11:48am
PerryP View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerryP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2010 at 8:22pm
Easiest would be the European solution: Charge customers 10 cent per bag. That's enough to get people to bring their own bags.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2010 at 9:30pm

Slam,

I like charging customer for the plastic bag. Hopefuly thy will consider to use reusable bag.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Armen818 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armen818 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2010 at 10:43pm
When I was living in Spain, I found that in virtually all the supermarkets, they charged like 10-20 cents per bag...and we had to bag it ourselves. It did not discourage me from buying their bags.

If you want to really make people bring their own bags...you're going to have to raise the price or inconvenience of using plastic bags...or give some rewards. The sting is not enough - if you want to go that route.
NuraB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 8:45am
Salam/peace all

Perry,  Br. Semar, I agree the European solution would work well, charging a fee but it's discouraging how few cities have implemented a bag ban here in the states.

So far it's up to the individual conscience to remember/care enough to bring your own canvas bag. Armen818, you're right, individual conscience is not enough. There needs to be a greater incentive or penalty to encourage people to comply.

In theory "cold turkey" would be the best route but getting every store and shop to comply would be a monumental task. Furthermore, due to our dependence on plastic bags most consumers would be really peeved. 

Time and patience will bring a solution (hopefully....)

N.B.
LizzyE View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LizzyE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 10:31am
I love the idea of charging a premium for plastic bags.  Or, just go back to paper and charge for that. 

We should also somehow go the same route for plastic water bottles.  Wherever you can buy water per bottle, like in a gas station.  I would like to see some kind of water dispenser that charges for you to fill your own bottle.  Also, more widespread recycling containers for plastic bottles.
NuraB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 3:55pm
Hi, LizzyE

I like the way you thinkWink. I agree that the ideal option would be to reduce the consumption of water in plastic bottles and refill instead.

Here in California there are water vending machines to refill gallon sized containers.  It would be great to have the water dispensed in smaller increments. 

N.B.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic