IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > GREEN Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Want to save money? Reuse your gray water!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Want to save money? Reuse your gray water!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NuraB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to save money? Reuse your gray water!
    Posted: 11 October 2010 at 8:10pm
Salam Br. Abuayisha

"Well, Sr. Nura, bottles and cans are pretty much the extent to which this urban dweller relates to recycling/going green. "

Thanks for clarifying. Your post makes more sense to me now. I therefore owe a clarification as well. 

My family does not redeem bottles and cans for cash because we don't buy sodas or bottled water. However, my family recycles by reducing the amount of our trash output. Our city provides 3 waste receptacles. One for yard clippings (green waste), one for recycling, and one for trash.

We recycle the majority of our packaging such as cardboard cereal boxes, soup cans, plastic yogurt containers, glass jars, junk mail, etc. This reduces our trash can size, producing a smaller trash bill.

Any effort to "go green" helps. You had posted that you try to take shorter showers and turn off the water when brushing teeth. That's an excellent start.

N.B.

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 7:04am
Well, Sr. Nura, bottles and cans are pretty much the extent to which this urban dweller relates to recycling/going green.

Edited by abuayisha - 11 October 2010 at 7:04am
NuraB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 5:53pm
Salam Abuayisha

I can understand aggressively recycling bottles and cans, as well as going green by taking public transport, but, I'm curious besides these, how do the L.A. homeless "actively and aggressively" go green.

N.B.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 9:57pm

Los Angeles has a very large and active homeless/poor population that  actively and aggressively go green.  Our sanitation bill is the same regardless of size.

NuraB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 8:40pm
Salam Abuayisha

I have a dual intention. I have found by "going green" we can also "save some green".

I figured since this is a dormant forum (the last post before mine was in June) I'd use an "attention getter" in the title. After all, who doesn't want to save money?

Yes, our family recycles.

In my city our garbage bill is determined by the sized waste wheeler used. There is no charge for the recycling or green waste (yard clippings). 

Therefore there is an incentive, the more one recycles, the less garbage produced, the less the monthly statement.

Likewise, with the water usage, by economically utilizing water people are helping the environment and saving money.

Only approx. 1% of the Earth's water is drinkable. The more we waste, the less there is for everyone else.

I hope this post met the requirement of the "green" section.

N.B.

Edited by NuraB - 09 October 2010 at 8:43pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 7:29pm
Yeah every little bit; it just occurred to me - I guess you're speaking more of how to save money as opposed to going "green" conserving resources, or is that also your intention? Do you recycle as well? 
NuraB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 9:06am
Salam

@Abuaysha

Every little bit helps. Good to know you are trying.

@Woodstock

rainwater... hmm, good idea! It has been raining recently...

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:11pm
"......the mother of invention."Thumbs%20Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic