IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - presence of Allah manifest in your life?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

presence of Allah manifest in your life?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 5:57am

Salaam,

ummziba, I think that to help someone doesn't at all have to be charity. Someone might need a friend to be beside them, just to give them some attention or advice.

I think one should go to a homeless shelter or hospital or even a daycare, maybe to volunteer, and that way you can see others how they live, which teaches us how Allah (swt) is present and how powerful He is and is capable of any thing.

That is my opinion.

Peace

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 6:55am

Assalamu alaikum Rose,

Yes, any volunteer work we do, any acts of kindness, are all considered charity.  (Charity - n. love, kindness; disposition to think kindly of others; practical kindliness, alms-giving.  Webster's dictionary.) 

And certainly we should do as much as we can.  We just shouldn't "boast" about it.  Good works are done to please Allah and not to gain approval or admiration from others.

For sure I would encourage all human beings to do as much as they are able to assist anyone in need of their help.  That also includes being kind and helpful to animals.

And you are certainly right, Rose, when you say that seeing how others live can teach us many lessons!

Perhaps a good way to continue here would be to give suggestions or ideas of how people might give "charity" within their families and communities, rather than telling about what we have done (which would be boasting).  Rose has given a good start of good things to do in her post.

Or, maybe a new thread should be started as amlhabibi2000 started this one with something else in mind?

Peace, ummziba.

Edited by ummziba
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Noah View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 10:21am
peace family

All we can do is try to do good whenever there is a chance to do so. Be it large projects you can participate in, or the person who pass you up on the street and ask you for a meal. Both are acts of kindness if you fullfill them, and as such things that naturally will make you connect to God more.

I believe that our actions purely determine our fate. Not a single one of us can even remotely grasp or understand the concept of God, or what excactly divine mercy is. We want to antopromorphise it into the human equalents. So when we say that God is the most mercyful, many of us think of it within the framework of human concepts of mercy. But the fact is, God is above any concept and idea that we may have. God is not a player of sides on terms and symbols and names, only at those who obey the law.
And thats the key. There is in fact more mercy, love and compassion to be gained than we can understand, and we are told that the way to reach it, is by doing our part by obeying the law, and keep God in our memory at all times.

God invented speech, he does not need any words or said good intentions from you. But he gave you something uniquely yours to deal with. And that is the free will. And if you use it to be with God, to do as youre told so we all can benefit from our worldly situation, God will start getting personal with you.
There is no booming voices from the sky or bright lights, but there is security. The more good that you do, the more the sensation of being secure is with you. You start noticing God everywhere in your life. You have a question, and you go before God with a trait heart and an hour later you read something that answer the question, or turn on the tv, or something else that enlighten you. But you will get an answer, the question is, are you in tune with understanding it?

Good deeds are our way of life, because this is where the rubber hits the road. The christian nun, mother theresa said something i think was wonderfully fitting.

"I know that my Lord only test me with what i can carry. Sometimes i just wish that he had a little less faith in me"

Peace
Noah
amlhabibi2000 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 10:36am

In sharing what I do I was not boasting just sharing how I try and make a difference.

In sharing how we make a difference sometimes it inspires others to try and make a difference too.

I was just curious what projects you work on that is all and if you work on community things like resource centers and so on.

I think it is okay to say what we do as I said to inspire others.

Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 11:00am

amlhabibi2000,

So, it would be alright to continue your thread with suggestions and ideas of good works?  Also, people might tell of good works they have seen or heard about?

This way, you can find out what kinds of things are going on in the Muslim community without the individual Muslims having to "boast".  Sorry, I cannot think of another word to use than that. 

The thing is, Muslims are not supposed to tell of their own charity work, but, perhaps some will be willing to tell about things they've seen and heard about (or good ideas).

Certainly others can be inspired by hearing about good works being done.  I am glad that you are helping others and improving yourself as well.

Peace, ummziba.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 5:25pm
Ummziba, I have not read the whole thread but I really like some things my grandma and other ladies in church do. Every week they knit hats and gloves, scarves ect to send overseas for kids and adults in poor countries that are cold. What a great way to get sisters together and talk, drink tea and do something productive. Once you get a few cases you could ship them to Bosnia, or somewhere else that gets cold. Since I can't knit I would have to be creative, but maybe I could learn. I would also like to say sorry if I have rubbed you the wrong way, I think I have been to into debate and not enough into understanding. Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 5:39pm

Assalamu alaikum Sister Jenni,

Great idea!  We have something similar in my hometown where anyone who wishes knits toques, mitts and scarves to give to the needy in winter.  As well, there is a winter coat collection that goes on each fall.  Local dry cleaners clean them all and then they are available to anyone who needs them.

You have not "rubbed me the wrong way", I am too peaceful inside to be "rubbed"!  I am just rather adament about Islam.  We can all learn much from each other - a good reason to visit this forum!

Peace, ummziba.

amlhabibi2000 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 10:13am

Sister ummziba.

This is what I was looking for, I knew about giving without the right hand knowing.

Yes it would be great to hear of things you have heard going on in the community without singling out an individual or yourself.

I think hearing about such activities that are positive give us ideas of what we can do for our local or global community.

I was getting a bit tired of always debating issues rather than sharing ideas to make a difference that does make Allah's presence manifest more clearly.

Salam Alaikoam

Anne Marie

Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic