IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Considering converting.. could Islam work for me?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Considering converting.. could Islam work for me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airy_Bri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering converting.. could Islam work for me?
    Posted: 24 September 2010 at 4:02pm
I have been reading a book that blew my mind when it comes to the religion of Islam. It's called "The Corruption of Moslem Minds" that basically says that the hadith is not true Islam. And in true Islam muslims only have to follow the teachings of the Qu'ran. Which are basically to try and do good, and follow the teachings of God.

I was raised in a mormon community in Utah. At the age of 8 I told my friends and family I did not believe in the religion and was not interested in continuing learning from the church; and I refused to be baptised. I remained agnostic until now, I am at the age of 17. I have learned about most other religions and none of them have seemed real, like the real teachings of God. And from what I had heard about Islam I figured it was just as impure.

But looking at the Qu'ran, it seems as if it is the religion with the most common sense and purity. Outside of the Hadith and what many religious leaders say; the pure teachings from the Qu'ran make the most sense to me. I am a logical person and I have always had a hard time deep down believing that God is real, but after reading this book, I not only think for the first time but I feel for the first time that god could be real. Deep down and all.

I want to get a copy of the Qu'ran and read it before I actually convert and then of course I want to learn more about the religion. I only want to follow the Qu'ran, I don't want to follow religious leaders or the Hadith. So I would still be dressing, modestly, as an American woman. I kind of want to mold my own following out of the religion. I'm not sure if I am going to pray five times a day--is that taught in the Qu'ran or elsewhere? Can I join the religion knowing I don't plan on traditionally praying? I think I might participate it Ramadan because it would help me feel closer to people of the past and what they went through; not because god will smite me because I didn't starve myself or anything extreme lol.

So basically I don't want to have to submit to praying, or going to Mosques or whatever, I just want to follow the basic principle of Islam: "Love one another, and do good." Is converting a good idea for me?
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 7:01am
2:43

And establish prayer and give zakah and bow with those who bow [in worship and obedience].  Quran 2:43
Airy_Bri View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airy_Bri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 10:57am
I wouldn't mind praying in my own style. But that quote from the Koran just states praying in general--which I would do. Not the whole praying 5 times a day, to the pillars, thing. Ahle Qur'an Islam is the name of what I am talking about... Qur'an only islam. Now that I see it exists, albeit in very small population, I might convert to it.
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 6:21pm
I'm not sure but I think Abuayisha is saying "no". 
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 7:28am

Surah 8:35

Their prayer at the House (of God) is nothing but whistling and clapping of hands: (Its only answer can be), "Taste ye the penalty because ye blasphemed."

There is a method to prayer, which is taught by the Prophet of Allah.  The ritual of prayer is found in hadith.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Airy_Bri Airy_Bri wrote:

I wouldn't mind praying in my own style. But that quote from the Koran just states praying in general--which I would do. Not the whole praying 5 times a day, to the pillars, thing. Ahle Qur'an Islam is the name of what I am talking about... Qur'an only islam. Now that I see it exists, albeit in very small population, I might convert to it.

Hello Airy,

Well there is certainly no harm in your attempt. If there is something about the Qur'an that appeals to you, sure why not give it a try.

Perhaps what Abuayisha meant was that you will have to  go a step further then just 'believing' in the Qur'an i.e. practicing/implementing it. For if you sincerely believe in something (or that there is good in something) just a mental belief will not do any good, will it? The real benefit would be in applying to our life practically.

Prayer would be the best way to start. For that is the BEST way to have contact with Allah (God). In Islam a person is in direct contact with God during prayer. It will also help you spiritually. Meditation/Prayers have their scientific benefits too.

So just curious, how do you plan to pray? There are 2 parts to an Islamic prayer, one is ritualistic, which is performed in a specific manner as taught by Prophet Muhammad. The other "dua" or supplication can be done in any language, words, manner (sitting, standing, walking etc. its basically a conversation you are having with Allah).

You wrote this post in September... how is your experience so far?

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Revolution777 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revolution777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2010 at 9:53am
Islam work for everyone anytime and anywhere. But please you gotta learn more about islam so that you would be satisfited (Which im sure you will be).

"Islam" is to believe in God without Doubt, its like you give everything you got to god and follow all his orders. its sounds like you are a Real Material slave privated from your own free will, but its not true. All adivices and Orders in Quraan will Give you the most happy life ever (if you follow them correctly).

Muhammed Teach us how to live your life with islam, i mean the Hadith is like Watching Muhammed life in a Movie, and im sure sure you will be moved by his acts.
ansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 9:51pm
Airy_Bri,

You have quoted  � � the hadith is not true Islam. And in true Islam muslims only have to follow the teachings of the Qu'ran. Which are basically to try and do good, and follow the teachings of God.�

It may look logical and convincing, but in practice it is not possible. For example, in the Quran Allah Commands us to pray but does not tell us how many times must we pray; how  to perform the prayer; when to pray, and so on. Almost in every aspect of Islam, to follow the Commands of The Almighty, we need somebody�s precedents and advice on how to fulfill our obligation. Without such precedents, it would be impossible to follow exactly the way The Almighty wants us to. Just imagine, more than a billion human beings want to follow a command without any specific instructions!! And that is why Muslims depend on Hadith to follow the religion.

The Hadith books contain what Prophet Mohamed said and did about 1500 years ago. And these Hadiths were consolidated about 150 years after the death of Prophet Mohamed. During these 150 years, there were a lot of power struggles even among the Muslims. To convince and win the support of Muslims of that time, groups struggling for power would quote Hadith to show that they were the true Muslims. Understandably there would have been instances when they fabricated their own so-called hadiths to win the people. Not only that, the non Muslims of the time, considered the new religion a threat. They too tried to confuse Muslims by fabricating so-called hadiths. As a result, when people tried to consolidate the hadiths, they themselves were confused. Let me quote an example: There was a Muslim scholar by the name of Bukhari. He spent his whole life collecting hadiths � the saying and deeds of Prohphet Mohamed. He had collected more than 600 000 hadiths. But later he found most of them were fabricated. He chose only about 2000 (4000 including repetitions) of them as unadulterated hadiths. Therefore, the so-called Hadith books that we have now may contain fabricated ones as well as true hadiths. Now it becomes an additional burden to Muslims � they have to weigh these so-called hadiths to find out whether they are true or fabricated. But at the same time, without the Hadiths you would not find the 1.4 billion people performing the religious rituals the same way.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic