IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why is there sin?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is there sin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heronblu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is there sin?
    Posted: 21 September 2010 at 4:17pm

A question which, as a Christian, I am often asked by agnostics and atheists is how sin could come into the world if Allah (the title, meaning "The God" also used by Arabic Christians in their liturgies) made the world. "Couldn't sin have only come from Allah?" they ask.

The Christian answer is that sin entered because Allah gave us the free choice to obey him or to disobey, and we (represented by Adam and Eve) chose to disobey. Is this the same answer that most Muslims would give? If not, how do Muslims explain how sin came to be and why it continues?

Thanking you in advance for your help,

Heronblu

Heronblu View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heronblu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 7:01pm

I have been surprised that no one has been willing to address the question of the existence of sin, and perhaps this is because I have expressed it in terms which are not acceptable for Muslims. If so, I sincerely apologize. I will attempt to rephrase my question this way:

As I understand Muslim belief, Allah allows Satan to tempt humans, and humans always have the ability to say no to the tempter and, therefore, to resist sin. Why, then, are human beings, although made in the image and likeness of a perfect God sometimes flawed in such a way that they do not resist?

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 2:50pm
Salam/Peace,

Similar in Islam, Allah give us free choice to obey him or disobey him. Both of them have price. If you choose to obey him usually more restriction, but this will give the benefit for your self and other around you. This will make the community there and beyond can live in peace and harmony. So Allah will reward you for your effort. And if you choose to disobey him you might have "short term benefit" but in the long run you destroy yourself, the most important think you disturb the peace and harmony of the community around you and beyond. For example if you to choose to cheat or steal rather than work hard etc. By doing this is easy for so you fill some "short term benefit" because you might can get the things that you want faster and easier, however you "rob" the right of others. So in the case you will get consequences that we call it sins.

Why it's continue that's the nature of human being, like th shortcut and easy way, and ignore the right of others to have peace and harmony. That's why Allah give us guidelines to achieve the peace and harmony for all, not for a certain group or individual.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 2:39pm
Assalamu alaikum.

Heronblu pondered:Why, then, are human beings, although made in the image and likeness of a perfect God sometimes flawed in such a way that they do not resist?
Response. My dear brother! Believe you me that Allah in His last Message never addressed those who believed in the Islam brought by Prophet Isa (Jesus) the son of Maryam as Christians. Allah addressed them as the People of the Book, Believers and Muslims. People as you said have the right to choose between guidance and misguidance. Please understand that your question is answered in the Old Testament. You do not need the Qur'an for this answer for there were People with the Message before Muhammad Rasulullah. The Central Theme is the same! Please read Exodus 7:3-5 and the inset notes in the Promise Study Edition,  CEV page 67 of 1996 publication. According to the Last Message, people commit all sorts of atrocities as a proof against themselves that it is only Allah in whose Hand is ABSOLUTE AUTHORITY. Imagine what Allah gave the Children of Israel after drowning Pharaoh - quails, manna and the cover of clouds. Please try to understand the Old Testament first of all before reading the relevant portion in the Qur'an. You will not find any disparity.
Secondly sin persists because people have no power to discipline their reculcitrant leaders. Ed Milliband has condemned tony Blair for waging illegal war and killing millions of innocent lives. No one is going to prosecute him i.e Tony Blair. Likewise Mr. Bushes.
Friendship. 

Edited by Friendship - 01 October 2010 at 2:45pm
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 8:26pm
Come now Friendship, are you really going to point at only Tony Blair and the Presidents Bush.  Ed Milliband can say what he likes.  It does not mean that he speaks with any authority or without blame himself. 
This last paragraph of yours doesn't fit with the rest of your dialogue except to pidgeonhole yourself as another America basher.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic