IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Burning the Qur'an...?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBurning the Qur'an...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 11:27pm
Dougg:
This one is for you too;

They used to Burn Catholic Churches, now they Burn Mosques

Posted on September 9, 2010 by Juan

The hysteria about mosques in the United States is nothing new in our history. Even though the United States was founded by a ragtag series of religious heretics seeking freedom to worship as they would; even though its constitution enshrines freedom of religion� even so, periods of religious intolerance have reared their ugly heads repeatedly in American history.

The kind of opposition nowadays expressed toward the mosque and the Quran was directed in the 1840s against Olde St. Augustine Church in Philadelphia, its �dangerous� Irish congregation, and their Catholic Bible.

Even though Pennsylvania was founded on the principle of religious toleration as set out in William Penn�s Charter of Liberties, even though its leaders in the 18th century made a place for Catholics and Jews and various Protestant groups, by the 1840s a bunch of bigotted yahoos called �Nativists� were desecrating those noble American values.

In 1796 two Irish friars were sent by the Vatican to buy land for the church, and its cornerstone was laid. �Contributors to the church included President Washington, Commodore John �Father of the U.S. Navy� Barry �, and Constitution signer Thomas Fitzsimons.� Note that the Founding Generation supported the church even though it received Foreign Funding. And, in Britain (and British-ruled Ireland), Catholicism labored under severe disabilities, having been until the late 18th century more or less outlawed. Even in the beginning stages of Catholic emancipation, Catholics were required to assert that they rejected the idea of the Pope having temporal power in order to get basic rights.

As with today�s anti-Muslim bigots, who charge Muslims with wanting to rule the world and impose their religious law on everyone, so the mainstream Protestant rap against the Catholic church was also the charge that it sought political dominance.

The Liberty Bell had been cast in 1752 in England to celebrate Penn�s charter of liberties, but was cracked. Another was cast, the Sister Bell, which ultimately was put in the Olde St. Augustine church.

So Olde St. Augustine was hallowed ground in the history of American religious freedom.

(I might interject that one branch of my family, the Catholic Kohls/ Coles, arrived from Darmstadt in 1830 and settled in Chambersburg, Pa., and would have witnessed the rise of the Nativists in their new home.)

The Bible was still taught in American schools in the early 1840s, and Bishop Francis Kenrick successfully petitioned the school system to allow Catholic students to use a Catholic Bible. Furious Protestants accused him of being anti-Bible and of plotting to gradually push the Bible out of the school curriculum altogether.

The Nativists came out in numbers to mount demonstrations in Irish Catholic neighborhoods in north Philadelphia. One of them turned violent and four Protestants were killed. The Nativists asserted that one of their martyrs had been trying to raise an American flag as he was killed by the �Papists.�

After that mobs formed and burned St. Michael�s Catholic church. Then they attacked Olde St. Augustine and burned it down, library, Sister Bell, and all. William Penn and George Washington were spinning in their graves.

When they poured the library�s books into the street and set them afire, the Nativist mob ended up burning the Bible.

The Catholics rebuilt the Olde St. Augustine. A boys school founded by the friars evolved into Villanova University. In 1960, an Irish Catholic, John F. Kennedy, won the presidency.

People who would burn down a church to which George Washington had made a donation don�t care anything about American values.

And people who would burn a mosque might as well buy a copy of the constitution and light it up.

In the real United States it doesn�t matter what your religion is, and you can build your house of worship where you please, and you don�t have to be born here to be a citizen. Nativists believed the opposite of all these things. They formed a secret party in the nineteenth century that they called the �Know-Nothings.�

They are back.

Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 8:36am
Oops I meant Turks not turns

Edited by Gibbs - 14 September 2010 at 8:37am
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 11:40am

IMHO the radical evangelist Christian have become paranoid cuz they think their business is being affected by ever increasing Quraanic challenge in the Bible belt!

Skateboarder Foils Quran Burning, Becomes Web Hit

After snatching the kerosene-covered book from Grisham, Isom handed it to Dennis Cobbins, an imam at the Islamic Center of Amarillo. Cobbins says he was overwhelmed by the support he'd received from the community. "The city we live in has zero tolerance for bigotry," he told the paper.

Grisham -- known locally for extremist acts, such as demanding his supporters boycott Houston because of its "social ills" -- left the park peacefully, to cheers from demonstrators waving crosses and "Love Thy Neighbor" banners. However, speaking to the Globe-News, he declared it ironic that Isom was praised for his actions -- which he calls "theft" Tongue -- while he was denied his right to free speech.LOL

Edited by Sign*Reader - 14 September 2010 at 12:11pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Douggg View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Dougg:
This one is for you too;

That has nothing to do is the President of the United States pleading with the pastor not to burn the Koran because of fear of Islam's violent threats.      America and the President of the United States held hostage by Islam 9 1 1 2010.

Doug L.
Douggg View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Douggg Douggg wrote:

Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Dougg:
This one is for you too;

That has nothing to do is the President of the United States pleading with the pastor not to burn the Koran because of fear of Islam's violent threats.      America and the President of the United States held hostage by Islam 9 1 1 2010.

What would happen to someone who burnt the koran in Saudi home of islam?

Doug L.
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 6:43am
Dougg,

Thanks for avoiding my question. Again, explain how Islam is dangerous? I sure since making that remark all the Muslims here on this website who abide by their holy scripture are looking to kill you. So because this maybe true using your logic tell me what is your reasoning.
Douggg View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

Dougg,

Thanks for avoiding my question. Again, explain how Islam is dangerous? I sure since making that remark all the Muslims here on this website who abide by their holy scripture are looking to kill you. So because this maybe true using your logic tell me what is your reasoning.

I am very disappointed to say that I have been given a warning from the moderator.   So I am dropping out of the discussions on this topic at Islamicity.  

Doug L.
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 3:57am
Originally posted by Douggg Douggg wrote:

Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

Dougg,

I am very disappointed to say that I have been given a warning from the moderator.   So I am dropping out of the discussions on this topic at Islamicity.  

Doug L.

You have not been given any warning here. You have only been told to comply with the guidelines. When warnings are issued, it clearly uses the word "warning."

Furthermore, in this thread, you have not been told anything at all.

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic