IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Home Schooling  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Home Schooling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by UmmFatima UmmFatima wrote:

75% of homeschooled kids in the US are from evangelical Christian families. Where I'm from it was only white hippie Hindus who did homeschooling. Everyone has an agenda, it seems, and ideological parents don't want public schools brainwashing their kids.I hope to homeschool my kids when they're big enough. I went to public school and I wouldn't wish that experience for anyone. Especially my kids.

Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean your kids will. Besides you mention brainwashing in public schools. Aren't you essentially doing that when you homeschool your kids or are you saying you're more objective than public schools.

Look of you want your kids to go to college let them go to public schools and have them understand the social order of the time. If they go to college they will learn it anyway. You can't homeschool college kids so why not?
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2010 at 4:26pm
I think someone is going to "indoctrinate" the children... the questions is who will do that and the parents have t he ultimate say as to who that is.

The difference between lower schooling and college is that an adult is more capable of processing what they see, hear and experience and making good judgements. Its like parents who send their kids back to the "home country" to avoid certain influences and bring t he kids back when they are older.

And their are plenty of kids who learn at home, not cause the parents don't see the schools as being effective not because of religion. And those kids often do just fine. I too am not sure about "teenage" socialization as being effective. I think it can be downright negative and nasty. We are not a culture that values inter-age learning. Its like Lord of the Flies..

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2010 at 4:52pm
So you can discern social inequalities, problems, and others as an adult? No. At college you are bombarded with various situations and problems. A home schooling parent cannot possibly school their children to deal with them. Even as an adult there is no gurantee that you have the ability to deal with those problems
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2010 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

http://video.pbs.org/video/1475777541/

Home-schooling is not everyone's cup of tea, and it is definitely hard work... but these parents' seem to be doing a great job mashAllah! Thumbs%20Up

I agree with UmmFatima, majority of home schoolers are White American Christians. I saw a documentary on it once.

Matt: If parents' wanted to teach their kids religious extremism - they could easily do so despite kids going to a public school. These are basic values you learn at home, no amount of public schooling can prevent parents from "teaching extremism" to their kids. That has got to be one of the silliest reasons against home-schooling!!!
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2010 at 9:44pm
So you can discern social inequalities, problems, and others as an adult? No. At college you are bombarded with various situations and problems. A home schooling parent cannot possibly school their children to deal with them. Even as an adult there is no gurantee that you have the ability to deal with those problems

Of course there are no guarantees.. there are none anywhere. I recently taught a group of teens this summer and I am nut sure if spending all day with just your peers is very healthy either.

I think you need to cite a specific example. Most home school parents seek to find social alternatives through sports and clubs. Most kids are not locked behind closed doors. Those are a few extreme cases.

i recommend a book by John Taylor Gotto- he was NY State teacher of the year that talks about the failures of public education.. And in this, or another book, talks about the history of public education and the problems with the system.. so we won't think about.

In some states its quite high the drop-out rates of high school - over 25%. of students drop out in some states. The one model does not fit all for sure.

And there is not statistical evidence that home schooled kids are less likely to go onto college. 

no system of for everyone, that is why we need choices, we need regular schools, vocational schools, business schools etc for high school age kids.  
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2010 at 11:46pm
I never said anything about home schooled kids less likely to go on to college. I said they may not be socially equipped to acclimate in a college environment. Home schooling is not just about learning materials you'd learn, but the ability to understand society beyond the home.

There are no citations I can provide. No statistics, and no graphs but just judging by my experience most students attend public school. I think those bad experiences that Fatima mentions are unfortunate setbacks of social interaction.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 11:36am
Actually Gibbs, for most teen girls, puberty and the schooling system is really, really hard. Self-esteem drops.. You ask most people if they want to go back to that environment they would say NO. For boys the schooling is different.  Many women spend their years trying to recover, for they are our formative years. Some like my sister, never recover.  I do not think Fatima experiences are unique, and you are right its IS about the social, more so then any part of formalized "education".  It isn't about your academics its about how you have to put up with all the social junk. Why do you think that many kids hate school.. its not just many people are boring, its the environment is often negative.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic