IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Asia-Pacific
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wearing burqa or not in court  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wearing burqa or not in court

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jrock View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wearing burqa or not in court
    Posted: 03 November 2010 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Divya_Mohammed Divya_Mohammed wrote:

Assalam Alaikum

I think this is a non-issue at best. The woman should be free to wear her Islamic dress and be in a burqa while offering her declaration. Only thing is that some women could examine her before her testimony if the identity of the person is same, i.e if she is the same person who is supposed to offer testimony, so that impersonation and fraudulent practises can be avoided. Once confirmed it is the same Muslim woman, she should be allowed to speak under her glorious burka.

Allah Hafiz
Divya Mohammed

I believe it was not an identity issue but a issue with seeing her face and facial expressions as she gave her testimony...

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 11:13pm
Tasneem (the lady in question) said so herself that she would comply with the judge's orders.

I love her attitude and respect for the court's ruling.  Allah bless her!
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

"Fat lot of good her "witness account" will be if she is self-conscious up there, avoiding eye-contact, stuttering or hesitating due to the vulnerability she is feeling . . . "

Studies in experimental and social psychology suggest that the face may be a poor indicator of deception. After reviewing 206 scholarly studies on the topic, psychologists Charles Bond and Bella DePaulo observed in 2006: "Facial behaviours provide no indication of a speaker's veracity, corroborating the theory that the face is well controlled." The voice, they suggested, is much more revealing.

Thus eliminating any need for the lady to remove her veil, since its not going to help confirm the veracity of her witness anyway... So Judge Deane could have let her keep her veil on.

Anyway, I hope the Muslim community does not overreact... like the article suggests, it was not Islam on trial, its just an isolated, circumstantial case. Tasneem (the lady in question) said so herself that she would comply with the judge's orders.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 4:22pm
"Fat lot of good her "witness account" will be if she is self-conscious up there, avoiding eye-contact, stuttering or hesitating due to the vulnerability she is feeling . . . "

Studies in experimental and social psychology suggest that the face may be a poor indicator of deception. After reviewing 206 scholarly studies on the topic, psychologists Charles Bond and Bella DePaulo observed in 2006: "Facial behaviours provide no indication of a speaker's veracity, corroborating the theory that the face is well controlled." The voice, they suggested, is much more revealing.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

How does the picture on her passport look like?
This will be selective niqabism... LOL

If a Hijabi Muslimah has to travel to the USA, she needs to have her picture taken without her headscarf for that instant and specific purpose. Would that be selective Hijabism?

If the sharia doesn't absolutely call for it why do they do it?...

That is a good question, but apparently they believe that Niqab is compulsory... even though a majority of scholars agree that it isn't. Hijab (referring to headscarf as the bare minimum) some even say -  is the preferred mode of clothing.

Quote it is self righteous attitude and would be deemed condescending for non niqabi sisters!

While I don't believe Niqab is compulsory at all, neither do I myself wear it (and so it would be easier for me to criticize it) - I don't think that is a very good basis to be anti-Niqab. The above logic would mean that the Sisters who wear Headscarf, are being self-righteous and condescending to the sisters who don't.... or Men with beards are being condescending to those that don't. Actually this is what some Muslimahs who start observing Hijab get to hear from their non-practicing sisters or relatives. That they are being too "holier than thou" or "naik parveens".

I can understand why she would feel uncomfortable; sisters who are used to having certain parts covered up would feel exposed, vulnerable and "naked" if forced to reveal. That applies to the plain ol' Hijab as well. Its not just about Muslims. . . any person, Muslim or nonmuslim would feel weird about having to expose their body that they have been used to covering up in public. Fat lot of good her "witness account" will be if she is self-conscious up there, avoiding eye-contact, stuttering or hesitating due to the vulnerability she is feeling . . .

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 3:38pm
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 1:59pm
How does the picture on her passport look like?
When travelling what country would issue a visa with a niqabi picture on the app in first place! This will be selective niqabism... LOL
If the sharia doesn't absolutely call for it why do they do it?...it is self righteous attitude and would be deemed condescending for non niqabi sisters!
What is more egregious? public funded paycheck and being privy to financial hanky-panky or being non niqabi! I wonder who are their teachers in faith!
Witness mean witness the other party should be able to see!! There is no ifs ands or buts about it! When justice is involved all buts are off the table!

Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2010 at 6:52pm
Hi martha

I see Wink

you're probably right.

Just as body language is important but isn't it the eyes are the window to one's soul? Wink
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic