IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - what constitutes the perfect prayer?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what constitutes the perfect prayer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote well Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what constitutes the perfect prayer?
    Posted: 31 July 2005 at 4:43am

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

While resting in predestination with faith, I perceived why my return was indeed fate, for love does not know of hate, nor does it know how to forsake!

I am interested in what you perceive the perfect prayer to be, having said that I would like to leave the physical differences I see. I am more intent on discussing the state of mind I have been studying, for while praying I perceive a place alive with knowledge indeed. A place where the intellectual mind is weak, for spiritual knowledge can only be attained by the meek.

As ever I have plenty to say, however first I wish to listen if I may.

well View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote well Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 4:43am

Assalaamu alaikum

Arabian, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this matter�..

I am aware of the advice that, a Muslim should �imagine� their selves to be in front of Allah {SWT} when offering Salah, however I have perceived a number of ways to place myself in this state, and was wondering what everyone else did?

Initially, I visually imagined myself praying in front of my Lord (the Prophets, Angels etc), however I found that in the effort of creating this �visual state�, I was prone to slipping into a slumber with regards to my recitation (of the Qur�an). Hence I searched for a different way to place myself in the presence of my Lord, Glorified be He.

This lead me to Ayat-ul-Kursi and the sentence: �Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him� [Holy Qur�an: Surah 2:255]. When striving to place myself in the presence of Allah {SWT} in this context, I am trying my best not to slip into a slumber. If I am able to maintain that state, I remain in the presence of Allah {SWT} without needing to create an additional visual image, which may distract my attention away from the compulsory aspects of Salah. Here my concentration is fully focused on recitation, and perhaps more importantly, I focus with sincerity on the meaning of the words I am reciting.

I have found many benefits from offering Salah in this way, & gained knowledge about what my sub-conscious mind/heart is up to! I do not wish to bore you with the intricate details of what I have learned, try it yourself & find out!

I have included the below Hadith, as when offering Salah in congregation I often witness Muslim�s yawning:

Narrated Abu Huraira {RA}: The Prophet {SAW} said, �Allah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning, so if someone sneezes and then praises Allah, then it is obligatory on every Muslim who heard him to say: �May Allah be Merciful to you (Yar-hamukallah)�. But as regards to yawning, it is from Shaitan, so one must try one�s best to stop it as much as possible. Because if any one of you yawns the Shaitan laughs at him.� [Sahih Al-Bukhari: Vol. 8: 242]  

A person yawns as a result of their mind/heart slipping into a slumber (this may be a result of been tired, or simply a lackadaisical state of mind), I say this as I have (through Allah�s Grace) managed to attain a state whereby, I perceive a yawn before it has the chance to materialise, hence I am able to stop it from materialising.

Admittedly I am still slipping into a slumber in that, I allow the remnants of that slumberous state to initiate a yawn (in the first place), and hence I have plenty to work on myself.

I hope this post offers positive benefits to those whom read it, & I hope you may offer me some help in return. Insha Allah

P.S. Follow the link to view other strategies, with regards to concentration in prayer - http://www.concentrationinprayer.com/bookOnCIP.html

well View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote well Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 4:44am

If you will please allow me the time, you may find that these words constitute more than just rhyme.

As many of you already know, two of the daily prayers are recited alone, along with the recitation, post sitting after prostration.

One thing I have learnt from this brings me back to how Allah created man in His �image�.

The example of these words � a physical creation, the thought initiated in the soul � a spiritual realisation. Contemplate this passing physical creation, the effect designed to bring about spiritual contemplation.

Is not my soul separate from these words � my creation? The example of how Allah is also separate from - His creation.

The soul initiates a physical expression; it�s purpose a spiritual intercession.

Everything begins and ends in the spiritual reality; your diet then should be designed to bring about a spiritual sanctity. This Lasting Sanctity does not exist in the physical reality, for physical pleasure is only felt at the moment of proximity. Spiritual awakening on the other-hand lasts for eternity, the reason why we should seek Allah�s Countenance in His Lasting Subtlety.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic