IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why building a mosque near "ground zero" is bad  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why building a mosque near "ground zero" is bad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 55>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 8:39am
Nur_Illahi

It won't matter to the public that the mosque community center is a symbolic representation of peace, these people care about their feelings and how America felt on September 11th 2001. All people know is that the hijackers were so-called Muslims motivated ultimately by a religious-political message. It doesn't matter if you call Americans ignorant or not understanding. The damage is done and it will take decades or maybe never to eradicate this feeling. You can preach until your face turns blue society will never fully accept Islam in the folds of daily life, unfortunately.

Just as an atheist cannot persuade you that God doesn't exist so to, you cannot persuade Americans. Even if you do, the conservative Christians in power have the money, resources, and influence to continue the bigotry against Muslims and in an age of technology, speech and simple talk only goes so far. Again this is still a bad idea.
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 8:51am
SignReader thanks for the link but I have a few questions.

1) who then started the rumor a mosque would be built?

2) If this project is meant to service the religious and non religious community why aren't there other leaders speaking with this gentleman.

3) if this project is funded by non muslims why aren't they speaking on his behalf?
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 9:53am
When I first learnt of this cultural center, I thought it was a good thing although a bit controverisal being at ground zero but at the same time, a place for people to learn and build bridges, become more aware of things, a place to get information from and not from the news on tv.
Perhaps its the optimistic in me Smile  

Those affected by what happened probably will never get over it and will always come from the emotions but is that a reason not to move ahead and build something like this islamic cultural center ? whether its on ground zero or not.
If it was to be called a multi cultural/belief center and islam has a place there, how would this make it better? when people have certain feelings towards islam. it'll problem get vandalize too, so.................

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

All humans are ignorant,no matter what religion or culture they come from. I am ignorant on many things, just as you are, just as we all are here.

Dear Martha,

Allah created everything in pairs and opposites. And the Soul that He lent to us has the Qudrah (Power), Iradhah (Will) and Ilm (Knowledge). We have the choice to eradicate our ignorance with these characteristics. In other words, seek knowledge. That is why the first word sent to Prophet Muhammad was Iqra! Read!. It is our responsibility to find out who is behind this inhuman atrocities. If you consider yourself a Muslim, you have a duty to clear Islam from being smeared by Islamophobes.

Nur, it is also your responsibility to get ALL the facts. Seek knowledge. As a muslim I am only interested in the truth regardless of who committed this atrocity.

We have our own thoughts, but thoughts are not always truths. 

Correct! What you wrote recently on hijab was exactly that. Your thoughts precisely.

Read my sentence again. I said thoughts are not ALWAYS truths. I still consider myself right about hijab.

So, bridges need building and trust needs to be gained. Americans, many, are ignorant about Islam. In fact it would be true to say that Americans can be ignorant about their own country. It is huge after all. So to just blame their ignorance is not helpful to them.

That is why building an Islamic Centre and a Mosque at this tragic site is good. Americans need to get rid of their ignorance. And this Islamic Centre would sure help in that way. A way of building bridges and gain trust.

And you still just don;t get it.

The worst possible thing to do is keep saying how YOU are right in what you say cos you are a muslim.

I am conveying my perception and facts as a Muslim. I do not think that is a sin?

I didn't say it was a sin. As always you love to twist words around.

Do you really think anyone would accept that face value? 

NEVER ACCEPT ANYTHING ON FACE VALUE. Do Your Own Maths. The knowledge is out there at a click of the mouse. If you want Americans to believe that Muslims are behind these atrocities, then it reflects your faith in Islam.

NO. What you SHOULD have said is it reflects my faith in MUSLIMS. There is a huge difference.  And what material do you rely on re: this atrocity?

So...for anyone to understand YOUR view and billions of other muslims you have to teach with understanding and caring.

Sometimes there are people who are so stoneheaded that you need a different approach. Like hitting the head with a hammer - LOL

Yep! Glad you accept you are a stonehead . Pass me the hammer please

TO say that something is true based on numbers of reverts to Islam would not for example prove to another that it is a true religion.

So you don't believe that Islam is a true religion?

Lol, again you are playing games with words.

So, sure, one day to erect this building could be helpful. Right now would not be a good time. I am sure the majority agree.

Why not? Do you depend on the mainstream media who are lackeys of the Dajjal Worshipping Zionists for info?

You ask why not. I have given my reasons. I depend on no-one other than my GOd thanks. 

It is not Islamophobia, people died by terrorist means. It could have been( could still prove to be) any religion and the grief would still be the same 

Right, the grief and the loss is so true. Indeed the people who were behind these atrocities are terrorists. And I can assure you that they are not Muslims. Why are you having a lack of faith in your own brothers?

Wow, how come you know the REAL truth ? HmmmErmm Well, no TRUE muslim would commit this act. BUt they might have thought they were.

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by blackflag blackflag wrote:

Originally posted by martha martha wrote:

Hayfa,
I agree America should not wait for ever. Yep, people debate on stuff which is centuries old. However we are not the ones licking wounds. I have to relate it to war in UK eg 2nd WW. There are many still alive here that remember being bombed night after night for months on end with no respite. Whilst many have come to terms with it there are still those that cannot escape the nightmares.

As the years go by, when they are no longer here, we will rely on stories they passed down.

So sure, not wait forever to build this mosque/cultural centre, but for many Americans to do it now would be like a kick in the teeth.

Nur Ilahi,

There will always be conspiracy theories on who was to blame. Eventually the FULL truth might be known. The sadness is not so much as to who to blame but that it actually happened in the first place.

All humans are ignorant,no matter what religion or culture they come from. I am ignorant on many things, just as you are, just as we all are here. We have our own thoughts, but thoughts are not always truths.

So, bridges need building and trust needs to be gained. Americans, many, are ignorant about Islam. In fact it would be true to say that Americans can be ignorant about their own country. It is huge after all. So to just blame their ignorance is not helpful to them. The worst possible thing to do is keep saying how YOU are right in what you say cos you are a muslim. Do you really think anyone would accept that face value? Of course not. So...for anyone to understand YOUR view and billions of other muslims you have to teach with understanding and caring. TO say that something is true based on numbers of reverts to Islam would not for example prove to another that it is a true religion.

So, sure, one day to erect this building could be helpful. Right now would not be a good time. I am sure the majority agree. It is not Islamophobia, people died by terrorist means. It could have been( could still prove to be) any religion and the grief would still be the same

Salams to you Nur.

To a large degree the grief would be different it it was, hypothetically, let's say in a plane flown by Christians to a tower in a Muslim country. I am sure if that country was truly following the Islam then would have no problem in accepting the Christian community in that Muslim country to build a Church near the tower. A good religion respects other religion, and their beliefs. Converting people by force is not accepted in Islam.

Salams Blackflag,

Personally I would prefer it  FIRST if Islamic sects didn't kill eachother. The Ahmadis attack in Pakistan show how fragile relations are between muslims. People might say it was a political motive..but sunnis consider them heretics. Here in the UK the Ahmadis are kicked out of sunni restaurants and businesses. I don't see it as being a good example to show non-muslims.
So, when muslims are united I would feel we are getting somewhere.

As regarding Christians I post the following:-
In a famous letter to all Christian nations, Muhammad wrote, "Christians are my citizens; and by God! I hold out against anything that displeases them." The fact that Muhammad formalized this expectation in writing demonstrates its immense importance. He concluded the letter with a firm reminder, "No one of the nation of Muslims is to disobey this covenant till the end of the world."

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

SignReader thanks for the link but I have a few questions.

1) who then started the rumor a mosque would be built?

2) If this project is meant to service the religious and non religious community why aren't there other leaders speaking with this gentleman.

3) if this project is funded by non muslims why aren't they speaking on his behalf?

Hi GIbbs,
I have read that it's the Saudi muslims that are financing the majority of funds and not the American Muslims. Wouldn't it have been a better idea for the American Muslims to cough up the dough?

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 4:24pm
Here is more about the project...

http://www.cordobainitiative.org/

Another good article

http://blog.sojo.net/2010/06/08/forgiveness-fear-and-the-mosque-at-ground-zero/

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
SteppeNomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteppeNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

I believe its bad for the simple fact that for the sake of political correctness muslims should allow a good two decades for the feelings to fade. Because of societal media, people are influenced by how Islam has negatively effected America. If a mosque is built I do believe vandalism would happen whether the first day, second day, or a month from now. 

Just wanted to say (regarding OP also), if  we took the same logic to wait several years before building a mosque in the area because of the atrocities committed by those few nut heads or the government (�conspiracy�) then we would have to wait pretty long for sentiment to run dry.

If this mosque or community centre, whatever we wish to call it serves the community well, then this is a good sign and would be a good example and maybe lead to beneficial things for both Muslim and ordinary people in the states or NY. Hopefully....

Ya Allah, Bismillah, AllahuAkbar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 55>
  Share Topic