IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Radio, TV & Film
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is this true? Regarding music.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Is this true? Regarding music.

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
Beechlgz View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 12 July 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 12
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beechlgz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this true? Regarding music.
    Posted: 16 July 2010 at 9:41am
My Muslim friend informs me that music is frowned upon in Islam, is this true? Or was he exaggerating? I do find it very unusual and I was surprised because music is considered where I am one of those universal things. "Everyone" likes music, no matter what religion, race or background you come from, you "should" have a type of music you like.

I use quotations there, because anyone with an ounce of sense will know you can't generalize like that. Not everyone likes music but normally most people think everyone does. Not everyone needs to have a type of music they like. Nothing wrong with not listening to music.

But as far as the Islamic religion is concerned, is it really true that music is frowned upon and that it is banned from being played publicly in some strictly Muslim dominated countries?
Back to Top
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 25 November 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2035
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Beechlgz Beechlgz wrote:

My Muslim friend informs me that music is frowned upon in Islam, is this true? Or was he exaggerating? I do find it very unusual and I was surprised because music is considered where I am one of those universal things. "Everyone" likes music, no matter what religion, race or background you come from, you "should" have a type of music you like.


Yes, most types of Music is discouraged in Islam. Certain types are allowed.

While I can understand where you are coming from, "Everyone likes Music" is not a very good excuse/reason for why it should be allowed.  People like a lot of things, that does not necessarily mean it is good or okay. People's affiliations and "likes" cannot be a standard for what things should allowed or not. Many democratic or western (capitalist?) countries have that model - allow whatever the public demands. In Islam, it is a bit different. Under Islam - a person's likes or dislikes take a back seat for the greater good - which has been defined by Allah. This is why gambling, drinking and other sorts of activities are banned, while the public may very well want them.

Yes, there are types of music out there that seem harmless - perhaps even beneficial to some people. I used to dwell on this too, but then I realized (as with many things in Islam) that while some things may appear harsh or strict in Islam - when you actually think about it, look around you and apply practicality - they work ! and they make perfect sense.

Take a look at the popular music today - what is the message being delivered ? What does the music stand for ? Religion aside, many families with certain values would not want their children listening to such media ! Pick out a random song from the charts, and just look at what its saying ! Look at the music videos ! It just doesn't seem right anymore. In my family for example, our parents never banned music, but they were strict about the kind of music we listened to. Not just because of Islam - but because it wasn't appropriate. At least back then there were some options left for us. Nowadays when I look at popular music, (i was gonna say "most") but none of the popular music seems appropriate for my younger siblings and cousins anymore !!!!! Religious or not (Muslim or not) - many families/parents/guardians will find themselves with a similar view towards music when it comes to people under there care. Islam simply foresees such things and implements them.

People might say that the problem is with modern day pop music, and there other options that could be allowed - but there is also another aspect attached to it. We as Muslims are not supposed to look at "benefits" when following Islam - we do so because it is a command of Allah, and we have faith that it is for the greater good.

However we can contemplate upon why certain things were allowed or disallowed. One of the main focus of Islam is to make you a better human being, and a constructive member of society. We are supposed to cultivate our spirit and soul on earth - and unfortunately (most kinds of) Music doesn't help that. It is a distraction, and actually effects your heart and mind. Anything that does not help you become a better person (muslim) on earth is considered "useless" and fruitless. Not to mention that it has the tendency to get people addicted and distracted from more constructive activities.

Well this is how most (again, generalizing here) Muslims approach the issue regarding Islam & music, hope that gave you some insight. There are Muslims who strictly avoid listening to any such music, then there are those who for the most part avoid music - and the vast majority that does listen to music.


"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Back to Top
Beechlgz View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 12 July 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 12
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beechlgz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 4:17am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Yes, most types of Music is discouraged in Islam. Certain types are allowed.

While I can understand where you are coming from, "Everyone likes Music" is not a very good excuse/reason for why it should be allowed.


Sorry but you don't see where I'm coming from. I was at no point arguing in favour of it, actually I was arguing that "Everyone likes music" is not a true statement (I'm sure you read the second paragraph below that puts the first one into context)! I don't agree either that it is a good excuse as to why it should be allowed. With all due respect you need to read people's posts a little more carefully before putting words in their mouth or taking what they say out of context. Just a heads up.

Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

People like a lot of things, that does not necessarily mean it is good or okay. People's affiliations and "likes" cannot be a standard for what things should allowed or not. Many democratic or western (capitalist?) countries have that model - allow whatever the public demands. In Islam, it is a bit different. Under Islam - a person's likes or dislikes take a back seat for the greater good - which has been defined by Allah. This is why gambling, drinking and other sorts of activities are banned, while the public may very well want them.


Thanks for the clarification.


Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Yes, there are types of music out there that seem harmless - perhaps even beneficial to some people. I used to dwell on this too, but then I realized (as with many things in Islam) that while some things may appear harsh or strict in Islam - when you actually think about it, look around you and apply practicality - they work ! and they make perfect sense.


I have noticed this also.

Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Take a look at the popular music today - what is the message being delivered ? What does the music stand for ? Religion aside, many families with certain values would not want their children listening to such media ! Pick out a random song from the charts, and just look at what its saying ! Look at the music videos ! It just doesn't seem right anymore. In my family for example, our parents never banned music, but they were strict about the kind of music we listened to. Not just because of Islam - but because it wasn't appropriate. At least back then there were some options left for us. Nowadays when I look at popular music, (i was gonna say "most") but none of the popular music seems appropriate for my younger siblings and cousins anymore !!!!! Religious or not (Muslim or not) - many families/parents/guardians will find themselves with a similar view towards music when it comes to people under their care. Islam simply foresees such things and implements them.


I agree too. :( There seems to be nothing appropriate.


Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

People might say that the problem is with modern day pop music, and there other options that could be allowed - but there is also another aspect attached to it. We as Muslims are not supposed to look at "benefits" when following Islam - we do so because it is a command of Allah, and we have faith that it is for the greater good.


Sorry could you please clarify on this? I don't quite understand.

Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

However we can contemplate upon why certain things were allowed or disallowed. One of the main focus of Islam is to make you a better human being, and a constructive member of society. We are supposed to cultivate our spirit and soul on earth - and unfortunately (most kinds of) Music doesn't help that. It is a distraction, and actually effects your heart and mind. Anything that does not help you become a better person (muslim) on earth is considered "useless" and fruitless. Not to mention that it has the tendency to get people addicted and distracted from more constructive activities.


See... this is what I have been trying to tell people around me, but they think I'm a total loon! Main difference is I don't understand from a religious context. But what you say is how I have felt about music for the past four years, I have abandoned listening to it.

I must admit, hearing that there is a whole belief system out there - one that I have found no faults in so far - is very healing. I have contended with thoughts that I may actually be insane for having such a strong aversion to music and the effects it has on people, not just popular music but most music. I really appreciate you bringing this to light as up until now it has been very painful.

Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Well this is how most (again, generalizing here) Muslims approach the issue regarding Islam & music, hope that gave you some insight. There are Muslims who strictly avoid listening to any such music, then there are those who for the most part avoid music - and the vast majority that does listen to music.


Yes it did give me some insight, it is very relieving to hear too. :) I'd like to look more into this and find something concrete so I know exactly where music stands as far as Muslims are concerned. You say it's discouraged, and you have explained why, are you able to clarify on this any further? Such as evidence?
Back to Top
lucystratford View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Avatar
Female
Joined: 13 November 2018
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 8
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucystratford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 1:45am
I never thought about it, really.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd.