IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pactise of Yoga  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pactise of Yoga

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divya_Mohammed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pactise of Yoga
    Posted: 16 July 2010 at 7:21am
Assalam Alaikum

I am proud to advise that I am a New Convert to Islam and I have been practising Islam since last 3 months after I was converted. I was a Hindu Iyer Brahmin Girl from India and I thank Allah Almighty for all his love and benevolence.

I am married to a Muslim for last 14 months and now I am a proud expectant mother , being pregnant with 2 kids in me.

From childhood, I have been practising Hindu Yoga excercises. Even after my marriage, I have been rgularly practising Yoga poses and meditation with immense benefits. Even my sisters in law learnt yoga from me and practise daily as part of physical well-being.

Recently, one of my husband's relatives came home and told me that yoga is a Hindu practise and is haram in Islam. She advised us not to do yoga from now on.

I browsed several Islamic websites and spoke to few muslim people, who gave me conflicting advise. While some told me that yoga is good, some others told me it is haram.

I am confused now. Is it haram or is it alright to practise. While meditating i chatter 'Allah u Akbar'.

Please advise. I am pregnant now and yoga helps pregnant women a lot.

Allah Hafiz
Divya Mohammed Iyer

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 3:55pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Sorry I am a little bit sneaky,

I think the physical part (breathing even the reflection/meditation) of yoga is OK. You might able to Islamicize the Yoga.

When Islam came to Indonesia in 13-14 Century we had Hinduism and Buddhism. In order to introduce Islam to the Indonesian, they (the Ulama/Muslim Scholars, who are the trader from Gujarat/India and midle east) didn't ask the Indonesian to stop their tradition and replace it with Arabic tradition/culture. But what they did was they Islamicize the local tradition.

For example the puppet show was very big in Indonesia on that time. The content of the story mainly was The Mahabharata, the Hindu Religious epic. The Ulama, Islamicized the story, of example the ultimate weapon of the main figure, they name it "kalimasada", that it come from "kalimah shahada" (declaration to be Muslim). The lyric of the song they change it with salawat or dua'. If they didn't do that and use confrontation approach probably Indonesia is not the largest Muslim country now.

Anyway, so we can do the similar approach with Yoga, we can just remove the part that not in-line with the Islamic teaching. If we have one bucket of egg and some of them bad, just remove the bad one and keep the good because we know the good egg will be good for us.

Edited by semar - 16 July 2010 at 4:22pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
fais View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 11:41pm
Yoga is a great excise and has no objection in islam,and this is confirmed,there are many sciences discovered by jew scientist but we accept it so this is one of the science which is from allah present in nature hindus have just discovered it.so no harm in using an invention.

please sister you are a good muslim and you know that islam is open for all it is not restricted to scholars only so do your research based on hadith and sunna and consul aalims,join islamic reaserach foundation kind of institutes for knowledege.

Regards
Faisal
Divya_Mohammed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divya_Mohammed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 6:55am
Assalam Alikum Brothers & Sisters

I am immensely pleased to read your replies with guidance. May Allah shower His choicest Blessings for enlightening me on my doubts.

Allah Hafiz
Divya Mohammed Iyer
fais View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 8:03am

jazakalla hu khair for considering the advises

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 9:31pm

Just about everybody nowdays does yoga across the globe, that doesn't mean they are hindu's. The exercise and meditation itself is good for you as many research studies shows, and spreads across many religions. There is alot more to being a hindu. Wink Just doing the exercise is not being or practicing hinduism Smile that would make just about everyone being a hindi across the globe when they are not Wink 

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 9:37pm
Just wait till you are in labour and giving birth to your beautiful babies, it is known to help as the muscles are more flexible and so able to stretch with little pain.  
Here's a link to a website on yoga for pregnancy & child birth:

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
fais View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 1:56am

Salam sister

just a question,what is the meaning of the name DIVYA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic