IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 7:14am
Actually wearing hijab is not difficult at all. It is whether we want or not.

Except for those of us who find dressing and matching clothes a challenge... lol Smile
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
MasryQT View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasryQT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 4:59pm
Slm sister!!

I feel your pain. Reasons like this have made me think long and hard about taking up the hijab. I live in NYC and it's very easy to be different here, so I cannot even imagine what you feel. Yeah, we have our own share of wackos who harass Muslimas, but for the most part there are HUGE Muslim communities and a ton of reverts -- many of which are Irish women! LOL...

The downfall of being religious is that you're religious! Doesn't that sound contradicting? When you try to remove yourself from this world, so many people will try to pull you back. They are Shaitan in disguise trying to dissuade you and cause you doubt about your Iman! They are jealous people, hateful people, people devoid of morality or faith. They think they have it but they don't. They hate people based on abstracts. My brother is gay but I don't hate him. I hate his homosexuality, but as a human I Love him. It's to easy to just hate indiscriminately - oh those Chinese, those Muslims...blah blah blah.

Before I reverted I liked this Israeli kid. He wanted to marry me but I would have to convert to Judaism to marry him. I said thanks but no thanks. "After all," I said, "what do I get out of it?" And he said something that always stayed with me...."What do you get? Oh, just to be hated by the whole world!" I laughed but he's very true. Anyone who is conscious of God and lives religiously is mocked and spat on. But these problems are fleeting as the promise of Heaven is permanent and lasting. This life seems like a day even though 40, 50, 60 years pass.

Don't let anyone Muslim or non-Muslim bring you down. Live your life and your faith fully. They will have to answer for themselves, but don't let them make you answer for problems in your own. They don't upset you, you let them upset you. Be strong -- and I don't say this lightly, I know it's a trial. You're gonna make it!
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2010 at 8:25am
Saudi Cleric: Women can forego veil in anti-niqab countries

Shaikh Aed Al Qarni's ruling was in response to a question from a Saudi woman in France about how to respond to a movement there to ban full-face veils. Governments in Spain and Belgium are also considering bans.

Riyadh: A leading Saudi cleric hit out at France for moving to ban face-veils, but approved Muslim women foregoing veils when visiting a country which outlaws them, a Saudi paper reported on Saturday.

The cleric's ruling was in response to a question from a Saudi woman in France about how to respond to a movement there to ban full-face veils. Governments in Spain and Belgium are also considering bans.

"It is illogical and unreasonable that the French government undertakes such a thing, which is condemned by neutral people, not just Muslims, because the secular state assures freedom of religion," Shaikh Aed Al Qarni told Al Hayat.

"The state has to respect religious rituals and beliefs, including those of Muslims," he said in an interview.
However, he added, if Muslim women are in a country that has banned the niqab, or full-face veil, or if they face harassment in such a place, "it is better that the Muslim woman uncovers her face."

Agreement
Numerous scholars of various Islamic schools of thought agree on this point, Al Qarni said.
"We must not confront people in their own country or other countries, or bring hardship on ourselves."
Some European nations have struggled to balance their national identities with growing Muslim populations that have cultural practices that clash with their own.
His comments followed France's parliament voting on July 13 to ban the niqab.

The French senate will vote on the measure in September, after which it could still be challenged on constitutional grounds.

Several other European countries are also debating possible bans on the face veil.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/saudi-cleric-women-can-forego-veil-in-anti-niqab-countries-1.658787

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2010 at 3:23am
Martha,

I thought you did not like scholars?

Just teasing
Smile
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2010 at 8:47am
Hayfa,

Hehe, well as everyone is so keen on scholars thought I should follow the trend. (only temporarily though)

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 9:35pm
Bismillah,
Assalamalaikum wa rahmatullah dear Martha,

You made me a bit confused with the scholarly quotes.

The 'option' in them is for the niqaab, and not the hijaab - please correct me if I am wrong.

We don't hear genuine scholars question the command on hijab. It is a must for muslimas, and there is no doubt about it.  Niqab is something beyond the necessary, and am not sure if scholars whould emphasise it as compulsory.

It was said in one of your earlier post in this string - one may do what ever is comfortable for them. - I have never been in shoes of such muslimas who've been attacked and harrassed for wearing a hijab, so it would not be right to contradict your feelings and veiws.  People have and continue to go through hardships in matters of religion. It can never be comfortable to endure hardships brought down due to social pressures - Islam is a high road, one who chooses to walk on this high road - his/her ranks are raised with Allah.  We choose this high road for the sake of Allah, and for the unlimited pleasures of next life - not just the comforts of duniya. Khair inshAllah.

Barak Allahu feeki

Edited by Nausheen - 04 August 2010 at 9:37pm
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
NuraB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 2:39pm
Salam Hijabbi1822

You had asked if "there are any sisters who are/have been facing real hardships because of hijab, and considering removing it"

Yes, I have faced hardships while wearing hijab and during brief moments had even considered removing it.  Bear in mind, sister I came to Islam August 2001, 3 weeks before 9/11.

I live in California in an intolerant city. I have noted  that agricultural areas seem to be more racist. Perhaps due to illegal immigration, less jobs, etc. there is less tolerance for people who look or dress differently.  

If I were to not wear jalaba and hijab I could "pass" for white. I wouldn't be glared at or spat upon, or called "sand n__" (insert racial epithet)

What I find frustrating is that my husband, who IS "foreign" (he's from N. Africa) can "pass" for something WASPy. By looks he could be European-French or German and no one harasses him. But me, with hijab and jalaba I get yelled at "Go back to your country!!"  Angry

During those frustrating times, I think to myself, I could give up wearing hijab and life would be soo much easier. But then, I look in the mirror, literally, and I see the hijab tan line (white ears and temples and tan face) I look at the contrast between my pale arms and my tanned hands. Islam is a life choice. It leaves a physical mark on your body like the  sajdah spot on your forehead or tan lines on your face and arms Wink

When I'm feeling especially low I then force myself to remember the day before I took shahadah.  I had read that believing women covered their hair and chest. I was scrambling around trying to find something to cover with. I had eventually settled on a kitchen dish towel pinned at the neck. I was adamant, if believing women were supposed to cover, I HAD to cover, even if only with a towel. I try to revisit that feeling of responsibility.

Eventually, when I married my husband I gifted that same towel to my mother in law and I told her (through translation via my husband) I promise I will do the very best I can with what I have.

Allah makes it easy for us when we are newbies. We are so open to learning. Then comes the more difficult task. Applying what we learn and sticking with it.

I know it's difficult but with Allah's help we can do it. Let's stick with it together.

Kindly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 3:35pm
Bismillahirrahmanirrahim.

My dear sisters, I will not comment on the topic, but I must give high praises to the manner in which you have debated in this thread. It is a sign of the highest civilization. High regards from a brother.

Essalamu aleykum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic