IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Niqab! Wajib or Sunnah?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Niqab! Wajib or Sunnah?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2005 at 9:31pm

Sisters please remember Sumayya bint Khayyat the first Muslim martyr. It was dangerous to become a Muslim at that time yet it didn't stop no one man nor woman.Now a days people think that because of the danger of being a Muslim woman that you can take of the hijab. Have you heard the story?

Edited by Saido
aisha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 4:17am

this isnt about hijab,we all know hijab is compulsory,this is about niqab,the hadith goes "...if the women reaches the age of puberty,no part of her body should be seen but this-and he pointed to his face and hands."the information is from a book called ,The muslim woman's dress,according to the qur'an and sunnah,compiled by jamal A.Balawi.hope this helps,everyone has there own ideas about niqab,some say that if your very beautiful then you should wear it,but is that not vain? i mean thinking that your more beautiful than another,then some people say it makes them feel like they have more deen when they wear it,which i guess is good for them,i belive that i do what the prophet (swa)says and i have seen no hadith to say wear niqab until i do then i'll keep to hijab.

aisha
Saido View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 7:58am
Sister Aisha do you remember who narrated that hadith?
queenie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 8:58am

"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except that what ordinarily appears of them...." Quran 24:31. The bit about what ordinarily appears of them is where the difference of opinion arises I think,about covering or uncovering the face. So I don't think we can call it a sunnah if there's a difference of opinion.

"....They should draw their veils over their bosoms...." Quran 24:31

Could not find any examples saying to cover the face!

Saido View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 11:06am
Jazakullah Sister Queenie
aisha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 2:05am
its a weak hadith sister,Aishah narrated that her sister asma once came to the prophet(swa)clad in transparent clothes which revealed her body.the prophet(swa)averted his gaze and told her,the hadith i gave you in the last post i sent, it was reported by Abu daoud.

Edited by aisha
aisha
MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 9:45pm

The niqab seems extreme if you live in a Western country. I think it is extreme in any country. Women as well as men need sunlight on their bodies daily to make enough vitamin D. HOW COULD THIS POSSIBLY BE PREFERRED IF IT IS LIKELY HARMFUL TO OUR BODIES AND HEALTH? AS WELL AS SOCIALLY, HOW WILL THE KIDS THINK OF WOMEN IF THEY THINK WOMEN SHOULD WEAR NIQAB BECAUSE THEY CAN'T KEEP THEIR GOOGLY EYES IN THEIR POCKETS.

.....JUST MY OPINION, i THINK IT LOOKS ????, AND TO ME IT UNDERMINES OUR HUMAN ABILITY TO RESPONSIBLE ADULTS. i AM NOT YELLING IN CHAT ROOM, JUST TECH ERROR.

sALAM

queenie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 11:38am

I kind of agree with you here sis. It does seem extreme. The only reason I say this is because I think living here in the West it attracts soooo much attention. I'm sure hijaab is for our protection but I know from experience that verbal abuse and even physical has been mounted upon niqaab wearing sisters. So its having the opposite effect. I also have found that some of the niqaab wearing sisters mashallah are lovely, but it seems like once they start wearing it they form part of some sort of cult .

But then again I think if you are a sister with an extremely beautiful face that is just luring all the men and you don't want the attention and choose to wear it then its her choice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic