IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A menstruating women and prayer  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A menstruating women and prayer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ameenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A menstruating women and prayer
    Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:31am
Salam,

I understand that a woman cannot pray while she is menstruating. Can wake up in the night and make supplications to Allah and ask what she wants from Him? Would this be counted as Tajjud?

Thanks,

Ameenah.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:19pm
Asalaam Alaikum Ameenah,

Welcome to the Forum. I cannot answer your question, I am sure someone else can. I just wanted to welcome you to the Forum

Hayfa
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 6:13am
Originally posted by Ameenah Ameenah wrote:

Salam,

I understand that a woman cannot pray while she is menstruating. Can wake up in the night and make supplications to Allah and ask what she wants from Him? Would this be counted as Tajjud?

Thanks,

Ameenah.

Wa'salaam Sis,

Menstruating women are asked not to pray 'Salaat' i.e. the ritual prayer or touch the Arabic script of the Qur'an. However from what I have read and heard from lectures so far (and Allah Knows best ofcourse) is that a menstruating lady CAN make Dua i.e. supplications to Allah. She can even make "Tasbeeh" i.e. recite the names of Allah etc. This is because ablution is not fard for these acts whereas ablution is fard for Prayer i.e. Salaat.

While it will be not counted as "Tahajjud Prayer" , any supplications or Duas you make during this "Tahajjud" time will be counted as worship or ibaadah. Some scholars also say it is okay to recite Surahs verbally if a woman remembers them - while others say that a man or woman in a statue of ritual impurity should not recite the Qur'an.

Women who are studying the Qur'an as part of their education can also touch the Qur'an with a cloth/glove and recite it.. otherwise she could miss out a lot on her education.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 6:17am
You may find this helpful inshAllah:

Connection with Allah  

Being exempted from praying does not mean being "banished" from connecting with Allah. Muslim women can connect with Allah in many ways during this time, for example: by reading to increase your knowledge about Islam and other useful topics, by reciting supplications and dhikr (remembrance of Allah), by reading the Quran, or listening to Quran recitation or revising what you memorized silently, by doing charities and good deeds, by teaching others including children, and by attending Islamic lectures and lessons.

Being a good Muslim in manners and character is an overlooked worship of precious value, and that is available to every Muslim at all times.

http://discover.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1196786124610&pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam%2FAskAboutIslamE%2FPrintAskAboutIslamE

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic