IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hell for eternity?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hell for eternity?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Sadaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hell for eternity?
    Posted: 30 July 2005 at 6:25pm

Asalamwalekum dear brothers and sisters.

I hope you don't mind a new sister joining the forums, this happens to be my very first post. :-)

I was a born Muslim but sadly due to sheer ignorance I was Muslim in name only. I did not pray 5 times a day, I did not participate or listen to Religious discussions, and the Holy month of Ramzan was merely another month to me.

Then something incredible happened and I started fresh with Islam, I have started praying 5 times a day...and I don't find it obligatory to do so, and to become a good Muslim girl. I do it out of free will, and out of my love for Allah S.W.T and our Beloved Prophet (pbuh).

I'm still very much learning about various facets of our beautiful religion, but one thing Iam unsure of is the concept of Heaven/Hell.

From a fellow Muslim acquaintance, I was told that the sinners serve their time in Hell on a temporary basis, and after they are done their time (provided they are Muslims), they can enter Heaven on the will of Allah S.W.T.

I however, always assumed that once a person gets damned to Hell that they stay their for eternity...and the same applies to Heaven?

Could someone please be kind enough to quote some verses from The Holy Qur'an which either contradict what I assume, or are in accordance with what I think?

I applogize, but like I have said I'm still very much learning more about Islam. I will be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance. :-)

Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 8:24am

Salaam,

First, WELCOME to this site and trust me no one will mind......We are all here to learn fro each other. I hope you find all your answers here and have fun.

Second, You said: "I however, always assumed that once a person gets damned to Hell that they stay their for eternity...and the same applies to Heaven?"

no thats not true, so if one made a sin, say like one stole something, and another murdered more than say 5 people, "They both go to jail,  but they don't get the same punishment"

And The Prophet (PBUH) said that all his umma will eventualy go to heaven after getting their punishment in hell. And ALLAH (SWT) knows best.

Please forgive me if its not exactly how it goes but I will look into it

Peace.

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 10:17pm

Assalamu alaikum,

First let me say Alhamdulillah that you have found your way to the Straight Path my sister.

The following verses have been cited as evidence of mercy even for those condemned to Hell (emphasis is mine):

11. 106. Those who are wretched shall be in the Fire: There will be for them therein (nothing but) the heaving of sighs and sobs:

107. They will dwell therein for all the time that the heavens and the earth endure, except as thy Lord willeth: for thy Lord is the (sure) accomplisher of what He planneth.

Edited by Yusuf.
Yusuf
Sister Sadaf View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Sadaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2005 at 10:26am

Asalamwaleum!

Thankyou Rose and Yusuf for the warm welcome. And thankyou very much for taking time out to answer my question...I honestly, appreciate it alot.

Basically, Allah S.W.T punishes those Muslims for a term appointed to Hell, but after serving the time as per God's will, they then enter the threshold of Paradise.

I read the English translation of the Holy Qur'an by Yusuf Ali, and it mentioned in various Surrahs how unbelievers and rejecters of the truth dwell in hell forever. Now, would that include those Muslims who are Muslim by birth, they even claim to believe in Allah S.W.T and the last Prophet (pbuh), yet they don't act upon what they claim to believe? They commit adultrey, drink, abuse their wives, etc?

Or, do only non-believers (ones whom attribute partners with God, and worship idols) dwell in Hell for eternity?

Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2005 at 3:00pm

Walaikum assalam,

My understanding is that Hell is for those who have completely rejected Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. There is an interesting hadith on this subject:

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 93, Number 597:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "A man who never did any good deed, said that if he died, his family should burn him and throw half the ashes of his burnt body in the earth and the other half in the sea, for by Allah, if Allah should get hold of him, He would inflict such punishment on him as He would not inflict on anybody among the people. But Allah ordered the sea to collect what was in it (of his ashes) and similarly ordered the earth to collect what was in it (of his ashes). Then Allah said (to the recreated man ), 'Why did you do so?' The man replied, 'For being afraid of You, and You know it (very well).' So Allah forgave him."

Yusuf
Sister Sadaf View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Sadaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2005 at 9:36pm

JazakAllah.

Such a beautiful and lovely passage. Truely touching. May Allah S.W.T bless you!

Basically, if one were to repent with a truth heart, Allah S.W.T forgives since he is "oft-forgiving" and "The most merciful". And this includes people who have strayed from the straight path. Beautiful...This answer my questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic